Author Topic: Narconon of Georgia - vitamins, sauna, other NN Ga specific program discussion  (Read 4222 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
This discussion started in the Another death on tuesday, 4/10/2012 at Narconon Arrowhead? thread, but warrants its own thread.

I'll be adding more to this discussion later, after I can sort through the docs I have.  This will probably crisscross a bit with the Patrick Desmond thread, but I'd like to keep this discussion in its own thread, since that thread is specifically about the wrongful death case.

Narconon of Georgia is unique among the Narconon branches, I believe, because they are only licensed as a Outpatient Drug Treatment and Education program - that means that they cannot operate their own sauna (detox), nor can they operate a residence.  This leads to some different sorts of interpretations of both the DCH regulations (DCH = Department of Community Health, used to be DHR = Department of Human Resources) and of the Narconon program itself.  The DCH regulations are part of the State of Georgia Code (the laws).

...in Georgia, the DHR (now DCH) allows them to get away with having a form the "students" sign that says they are aware that the dosages are above the FDA recommended dosages.

Saying they are aware the dosages are above the FDA recommended dosages is meaningless. There are fad diets that do that without getting into the extreme, and potentially deadly, levels NarCONon and the Purif do.

They should be required to sign a form stating, "They are aware they will be receiving doses of niacin and vitamin A that are considered toxic levels, with the risk of severe irreversable liver damage, potentially leading to death."

Of course, I agree that the "students", AND their families, should be more aware of the dangers of the vitamins.

I don't know if I have a copy of the form itself, however this was what was stated to DHR via a copy of an "Executive Directive" sent to DHR as part of a "Plan of Correction":
EXECUTIVE DIRECTIVE
NARCONON OF GEORGIA ED 45
TO: ALL STAFF AND STUDENTS

...snip...

The student will study an information pack about vitamins and food supplements, provided by Narconon, before participating in the Narconon New Life Detoxification Program.  This pack will provide information concerning the risks and benefits of taking vitamins and food supplements in excess of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's recommended daily allowance.  The student will be invited to ask questions which will be satisfactorily answered by Narconon staff.

The student will be asked to review and sign a consent form reflecting the student's understanding of these risks and benefits, as well as the student's agreement to participate in the Narconon New Life Detoxification Program.

Vitamins and food supplements are to be self administered by the student in exact amounts as directed by the Medical Director.  A Licensed practical Nurse, under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, shall be responsible for ensuring that the students self-administer the correct amounts as noted on their New Life Detoxification Care Plan.  Accuracy and safety are of utmost concern.  Any necessary handling, or sorting of vitamins and food supplements, in preparation for student self administration is to be done by licensed personnel, i.e. a Licensed Practical Nurse or a Registered Nurse.
...snip...

When you consider that the agreement is signed by someone who may be in withdrawal, who has ended up at the Narconon program (which can be disorienting enough by itself, then combined with the effects of WD), and who may desperately want to get off drugs and/or please whoever has arranged for and paid for the Narconon program for them, I have to wonder how much understanding they actually have of any of the documents they are signing upon entry.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
I agree it’s like the no refund policy the client doesn’t remember signing it or it was never presented to the client.

Narconon now admits the drug bomb is a health risk.

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
Narconon of Georgia is unique among the Narconon branches, I believe, because they are only licensed as a Outpatient Drug Treatment and Education program - that means that they cannot operate their own sauna (detox), nor can they operate a residence.  This leads to some different sorts of interpretations of both the DCH regulations (DCH = Department of Community Health, used to be DHR = Department of Human Resources) and of the Narconon program itself.  The DCH regulations are part of the State of Georgia Code (the laws).

There is Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 090018BN which is a nonresidential program; there is also Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 090018AN which IS a residential facility same address.
http://www.adp.ca.gov/Licensing/pdf/Status_Report.pdf

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
There is Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 090018BN which is a nonresidential program; there is also Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 090018AN which IS a residential facility same address.

Both are licensed?  That's kind of weird.  Do you have any ideas of why that is?  Are they trying to get both the outpatient and the inpatient business?  I wonder if they have the non-residential licensed so if they go over capacity on the residential when there's an inspection, they can just say they're part of the non-residential (since they probably don't get inspections at night)? 

Here, it's harder to get the residential license; there are additional regulations they must follow for residential that are stricter. 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline DisconnectedTwin

• On the path to knowledge

^^This is from the Placerville, CA location in El Dorado county.
Narconon Vista Bay Watsonville, CA (Santa Cruz county) has the same licensing, both residential and non-residential. Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 440009CN (residential); Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 440009DN (non-residential). Both of these also have the same address in Watsonville.
Don't know why.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

^^This is from the Placerville, CA location in El Dorado county.
Narconon Vista Bay Watsonville, CA (Santa Cruz county) has the same licensing, both residential and non-residential. Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 440009CN (residential); Narconon Vista Bay Record ID # 440009DN (non-residential). Both of these also have the same address in Watsonville.
Don't know why.

It could be that initially Narconon Vista Bay was only able to qualify for outpatient licensure and later applied for residential. However, this is Scientology and that explanation might be too simple ;) 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline DisconnectedTwin

• On the path to knowledge
Apologies for continued derailing of thread but this may help in other states.

Reason for residential and nonresidential license at Vista Bay is there is no limit for nonresidential patients and they can enroll as many as they can. Some live at facility and others are housed offsite.  Treatment fees remain the same but there are no additional costs for housing offsite. Legal in CA???? Not sure yet.

This info came from Stacey Payne over at WWP.
https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/woh-this-is-interesting-narconon.36521/page-4

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology

Reason for residential and nonresidential license at Vista Bay is there is no limit for nonresidential patients and they can enroll as many as they can. Some live at facility and others are housed offsite.  Treatment fees remain the same but there are no additional costs for housing offsite. Legal in CA???? Not sure yet.

This info came from Stacey Payne over at WWP.
https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/woh-this-is-interesting-narconon.36521/page-4

Thanks. Yes, I saw Stacey's posts there ( now posting as member betruetoyourself ) What Stacey might not know is that many of these 'outpatient' patients may be court ordered to residential treatment facilities and that Vista Bay may well be doing a similar thing as Narconon of Georgia of pretending to be outpatient when actiually being unlicensed residential for these people who believe they are in a residential program.

Morningstar Rehab in San Diego got caught recently becaue of a death at one of these 'homes'. I wrote about that here:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,10357.0.html
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

No problem, DisconnectedTwin.  In truth, all the Narconons are the same topic since they all seem to operate with the same lack of ethics (in a real-world sense).  Thanks for the pointer to the Stacey Payne posts.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Brought from the Another death on tuesday, 4/10/2012 at Narconon Arrowhead? thread.

...in Georgia, the DHR (now DCH) allows them to get away with having a form the "students" sign that says they are aware that the dosages are above the FDA recommended dosages.

Saying they are aware the dosages are above the FDA recommended dosages is meaningless. There are fad diets that do that without getting into the extreme, and potentially deadly, levels NarCONon and the Purif do.

They should be required to sign a form stating, "They are aware they will be receiving doses of niacin and vitamin A that are considered toxic levels, with the risk of severe irreversible liver damage, potentially leading to death."

Seriously! I can't believe NN of GA gets away with this stuff. DCH is allowing them to give toxic levels of vitamins with a waiver form signature. That really doesn't make it any less dangerous.

No it doesn't, and don't forget these people signing the waiver are from other places, and may be under a good bit of pressure from their families and/or the drug courts, and may not even be in a condition to know what they're signing - if the form even makes it clear what the issue is.  Certainly, they are not in a position to argue once they arrive, and if they refused to sign the form, they would probably be expelled from the program.  These sorts of forms should be signed before they get there - of course, they might never go if they knew what the program actually consists of.

There was not such a form, other than a generic disclaimer, in the documents produced in the Desmond case.  I forget which file it's in, but when I find it, I'll post it.  The forms start on page 14 of this file: http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/10A28641/10A28641-2-2012-04-17-NNGAs1stRequestForAdmissionsToPlaintiffs.pdf

Of course, to be fair, it's possible there is such a form which was not produced since the case isn't about vitamin bombs or the sauna - it's about neglect, corruption, cover-up, etc.

It's the rubber stamp approach to plan of correction submission.  (:E( _/?%
Let's hope Mary Rieser's most recent plan of correction doesn't pass the smell test.

"Oh, yeah, we cooked the books, but don't worry, we've fixed it now."  Do I smell something burning?   ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:33 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Offline neveragain

• Met Xenu
You have to sign a zillion papers and nobody is of sound mind.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I hope I'm not derailing here. I thought this whistleblower support blog would be of interest.
http://whistleblowersupporter.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/09/judges-have-gone-wild-against-whistleblowers.html
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama