Author Topic: Norcross drug facility (Narconon)under new scrutiny-Atlanta Journal Constitution  (Read 2563 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Norcross drug facility under new scrutiny - Atlanta Journal Constitution
4 October 2012, 12:51 pm
By Christian Boone

Patrick Desmond was running out of second chances.

About a year after being arrested for cocaine possession, the garrulous ex-Marine was pulled over for drunken driving. Taking his military service into account, a Florida judge agreed to allow Desmond to enter a residential drug treatment program in lieu of jail.

Enter Narconon of Georgia, where his parents say they paid $30,000 to get their son the round-the-clock supervision he needed and Florida’s drug court required.

Less than a year later, while in the Narconon program and living in a Sandy Springs apartment complex that housed fellow addicts, Desmond, 28, hopped into a car with two former Narconon clients in search of heroin. He ended up overdosing from a combination of alcohol and drugs.

“You send your child for help,” Patrick’s mother, Colleen Desmond, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “You think he’s going to be cared for. But he wasn’t cared for. He was left to his own devices.”

Desmond’s death four years ago has focused attention on a decade’s worth of state investigations of the Norcross-based drug treatment program. Repeatedly, the state fielded complaints that Narconon, while licensed only for outpatient care, was illegally operating a residential facility.

Testimony in a wrongful-death lawsuit by Desmond’s parents accuses Narconon of Georgia of duping out-of-state courts and parents into believing it provided the kind of supervision expected from residential drug treatment facilities. As part of the ruse, they say, Narconon steered clients to housing leased by employees, ex-employees and fellow members of the Church of Scientology, which Mary Rieser, the clinic’s director, attends. That has made the case a cause celebre nationally for Scientology critics.

The state says it never had enough evidence to prove that Narconon of Georgia was operating a residential facility, although a number of its inspectors suspected that to be the case.

“We didn’t have subpoena powers at the time, and we relied on their truthfulness in their application,” said Nina Edidin, who from 2005-2008 was manager of the legal unit for the Office of Regulatory Services for the Department of Human Resources, now the Department of Community Health.

But information obtained in the Desmond lawsuit has led the state to reopen an investigation. Some evidence, the family says, was right under the state’s nose. Until a few days ago, the official website of Narconon International described the Georgia program as a “long-term residential facility with comfortable accommodations…”

much more at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/norcross-drug-facility-under-new-scrutiny/nSTF3/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 19:06 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
So we get to read this before the paper comes out!  We must be Big OTs!

From the future: Posted: 6:00 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
So we get to read this before the paper comes out!  We must be Big OTs!

From the future: Posted: 6:00 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012

My supah powers are making me tingly, or maybe that's the Niacin.... @u@ooo
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Christian Boone of the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution needs to do some real research about the Scientology involvement with Narconon. A lot more than this foolish comment exists:
“Critics contend Narconon facilities are arms of Scientology. ”

Here are a few links he should ‘Method 4 Wordclear and star rate’, lol

Narconon International’s history, purpose and activities explained in the 1993 Church of Scientology IRS 1023 application for religious Tax Exemption. ( notes the group exemption )
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Documents/irs-1023-narconon.pdf

Closing Agreement On Final Determination Covering Specific Matters
US Internal Revenue Service, 1 October 1993 & CoS
This controversial and (until 1997) secret document shows the Church of Scientology International accepting responsibility for the unpaid taxes of Narconon International (NN Int) – see especially section VIII.C.4, in which NN Int is described as a “Scientology-related entity”.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/internal/agreemnt.htm

How Narconon is used as a front for Scientology:
This internal Narconon document provides a flowchart of the progression of an individual through the programme, circa 1984. (Click here for an image of the original document, which unfortunately is not of very high quality. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/images/lineup_scan.gif )

“The Narconon/Scientology detoxification programmes underwent significant changes at the end of the 1980s, so it probably does not fully represent today’s Narconon programme, although much of it is still very similar to the present setup. It provides a clear illustration of the interlinked nature of Narconon and Scientology, although it is unlikely that Narconon clients or sponsors would have seen it. To see commentary on the different areas of the flowchart, click in the individual boxes above. The flowchart should be read from bottom to top, where the bottom represents the routes into Narconon and the top the route out.”
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/internal/lineup.htm
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I'm hoping Christian was just warming up for a more extended article in Sunday's print edition.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
I'm hoping Christian was just warming up for a more extended article in Sunday's print edition.

I don't know. I'm presuming this article that came out early IS the Sunday article. Last I looked, the latest date on it says so.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

I don't know. I'm presuming this article that came out early IS the Sunday article. Last I looked, the latest date on it says so.

I realize the article was posted early, for Sunday. I've seen online articles get updated many times, but it might be wishful thinking on my part.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

I realize the article was posted early, for Sunday. I've seen online articles get updated many times, but it might be wishful thinking on my part.
Well, I certainly am with you hoping there will be more!