Author Topic: [Google] New Insurance Regulations Make it Easier for Drug Addicts to Get Needed Help - Earthtimes (  (Read 1249 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
New Insurance Regulations Make it Easier for Drug Addicts to Get Needed Help - Earthtimes (press release)
10 February 2010, 3:17 am

The Department of Health and Human Services, Labor, and Treasury has implemented new rules that will require private group health insurance plans to offer benefits for treatment of substance abuse disorders comparable to other illnesses. This will allow for more help to more Americans who suffer from drug addiction to get the needed help from facilities like Narconon.

Read more: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/new-insurance-regulations-make-it,1158274.shtml#ixzz0fBM6wCyr
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 19:21 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Say it isn't so.

More info:

http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/01/20100129a.html

The new law requires that any group health plan that includes mental health and substance use disorder benefits along with standard medical and surgical coverage must treat them equally in terms of out-of-pocket costs, benefit limits and practices such as prior authorization and utilization review.  These practices must be based on the same level of scientific evidence used by the insurer for medical and surgical benefits.  For example, a plan may not apply separate deductibles for treatment related to mental health or substance use disorders and medical or surgical benefits—they must be calculated as one limit. MHPAEA applies to employers with 50 or more workers whose group health plan chooses to offer mental health or substance use disorder benefits. The new rules are effective for plan years beginning on or after July 1, 2010.

The Wellstone-Domenici Act is named for two dominant figures in the quest for equal treatment of benefits.   The late Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN), who was a vocal advocate for parity throughout his Senate career, sponsored the ultimately successful full parity act.  He was joined by former Senator Pete Domenici (R-NM) who first introduced legislation to require parity in 1992.  Champions of the legislation also included the bipartisan team of Representative Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) and former Representative Jim Ramstad (R-MN).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 20:23 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama