Author Topic: [Google] Moved by the spirit of music - Stockton Record  (Read 586 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
[Google] Moved by the spirit of music - Stockton Record
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:03 »
Moved by the spirit of music - Stockton Record
16 September 2010, 3:11 am
Edgar Winter sounded as fired-up as a kid playing his first gig.

"It means the world to me to do what I love most," said the excitable and voluble Winter. "It's great getting to see everybody out there rockin'. Hoo-oo-oo-oo-oo. So, get ready to rock."

At Winter's age - the blues-rock singer and multi-instrumentalist turns 63 in December - most people are content with a rocking chair.

Winter has been rocking out since he and brother Johnny were growing up in Beaumont, Texas.

He's now 45 years into a career that began at Woodstock, and brings the five-man Edgar Winter Group to the Lodi Grape Festival on Saturday.

Just mention a topic - his pioneering use of synthesizers, embracing Scientology, his affection for science fiction, music's transcendent spirituality - and Winter's off and rolling in a soft Texas accent.

"'I've always thought of music as a spiritual thing," said Winter, a self-styled "New York Texan living in Beverly Hills." "It really does have the ability, as all art forms do, to make us realize we are, in essence, one people. One world.

"I love Scientology, but also Christianity and Buddhism. They're all attached to the same source. Religion should be inclusive rather than divisive. That's what music does."

Heavily influenced by sacred music, Winter was attracted to L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology and "Mission Earth," his 1986 album, included lyrics by Hubbard. Winter is "really not as avid now."

"Religion is a personal thing," said Winter, whose parents were Baptist and Episcopalian. "It's not something I really talk about. Life is a spiritual quest for all spiritual beings."

more at http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100916/A_ENTERTAIN/9160304
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 17:32 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.