Author Topic: Protesting in Sandy Springs  (Read 1412 times)

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Protesting in Sandy Springs
« on: June 05, 2009, 17:53 »
 Should a concerned citizen go apply for a protest permit for the Roswell rd location????

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 21:22 »
Should a concerned citizen go apply for a protest permit for the Roswell rd location????

A concerned citizen could do that if he/she wanted to.  The information is on the Sandy Springs site:
http://files.sandysprings-ga.org/ordinances/20061082Ch18_Assemblage.pdf

Basically, there is a $50 non-refundable application fee, although we may be excused from that (which would be nice) according to this:
http://www.sandyspringsga.org/tPanel.aspx?P=667c4632158f42989e3f4e3848016751

It says:
“In an effort to streamline the application process, we developed this short form,” City Manager John McDonough said. “We are also waiving the $50 fee for groups of 200 people or less. This is for neighborhood gatherings, or small groups, where essentially no City services are used.”

According to the ordinance linked to above, the application must be submitted at least 15 days, but not more than 60 days, before the event is to be held, although another document says it must be submitted 60 days before and says nothing about 15 days, and the application (see link below) itself says "at least 60 days before."  This will certainly need to be clarified, and I seem to remember in the ordinances is that an "emergency permit" may be issued if there is not the time to adhere to the normal application period.  I don't know if we can qualify for an "emergency permit."

The Special Events permit application requires a parking plan, a restroom plan, and a cleanup plan, although it may be as simple as saying people would park at a local parking lot or take MARTA (the bus), that we can hold our restroom needs for the short 3 hour event, and that we will clean up the area.  In my opinion, the best way to approach it would be to speak personally with the City Manager, who (I think, from memory) will deal with the application.  He won't approve it himself, though, I think the City Council will be the ones to approve it. 

I am sure there are those of us who would show up for a Sandy Springs protest, and some who would contribute toward the $50 if we are required to pay it.  (Or Pfizer could pay for it.  ;) )

Here is a link to the application itself: http://files.sandysprings-ga.org/forms/misc/Special_Event_Application.pdf

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 19:05 »
Actually, my curiosity got the best of me.  I found the Sandy Springs laws listed online, current as far as I can tell.

I looked through a bit, and it seems there are only two sections directly relating to us.

The law, as listed on that site, doesn't say anything about no fee for small groups.  I'd suggest being ready with a citation of that page to be ready for that.

I did see some other things, so if it's wanted, I can post my opinions here (or elsewhere, if wanted).

I just like the thought of being prepared just in case.

FYIANON

Re: Protesting in Sandy Springs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 15:06 »
My opinion for whats it worth

Eventually the local residents will lost interest in this issue.  They will become tired of dealing with it.

I think we should hold off protesting this location until that happens. It will be attention grabbing and might get press from the local SS papers.  It might bring things back in to focus for the area. 

Raven

Re: Protesting in Sandy Springs
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 13:31 »
I have to be honest I vote not to do this atm. I've gone back and forth a hundred different times and had just as many different answers.   

After saying all that  I'm a protest lover and will be there if the vote by the group is to do this.  How ever could I miss one now :)