Author Topic: Tulsa World awarded Google Ideas grant to investigate improper mortgage ... - Tulsa World (blog)  (Read 716 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Tulsa World awarded Google Ideas grant to investigate improper mortgage ... - Tulsa World (blog)
7 February 2013, 3:55 pm

Eight newsrooms around the world will receive funding from Google for investigative journalism. The Tulsa World is one of them.

With a share of a $50,000 Google Ideas grant, the World's Enterprise Team will look into improper mortgage servicing practices in Oklahoma. World Staff Writers Casey Smith and Cary Aspinwall will be the lead reporters on the project along with World Staff Writers Jarrel Wade and Curtis Killman.

Google Ideas is the think tank connected to the popular search engine with a mission to convene stakeholders, research and initiatives to explore the role that technology can play in today's challenges.

"I'm really proud of the initiative that my team took in applying for this grant," said Ziva Branstetter, the Enterprise editor who leads the team. "We have a unique opportunity in Oklahoma to examine whether our state's decision not to be part of the federal mortgage settlement agreement was a benefit to taxpayers. We are also looking forward to digging into the data that will tell the larger story of how individual homeowners have been treated by mortgage service companies, banks and other agencies."

more at rant_to_investigate_improper_mortg age_practices/53-18933" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx?Tulsa_World_awarded_Google_Ideas_g rant_to_investigate_improper_mortg age_practices/53-18933
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:05 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Hopefully, more grants like this will occur, so that investigative reporting doesn't go the way of the dodo. Journalism is a tough business these days.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama