Author Topic: PROFITING ON PERSONALITY: THE SALES PITCH OF SCIENTOLOGY  (Read 1589 times)

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
PROFITING ON PERSONALITY: THE SALES PITCH OF SCIENTOLOGY

http://www.lbunion.com/feature/709-profiting-on-personality-the-sales-pitch-of-scientology.html

I think these kids do a pretty good job of relaying what it's like for a new person to walk into a Scientology reception area these days.  Although they got a bit of a cold shoulder since they announced they were from the school paper, they don't realize that it helped to limit the creepiness of their experience.

Overall, I couldn’t help but get a bad vibe from the place. The attendants with obviously fake grins, the open endorsement of the cult of personality surrounding L. Ron Hubbard and the feeling that you’re talking to a salesman rather than a clergyman when you’re greeted at the door was entirely off- putting and strange to me.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Re: PROFITING ON PERSONALITY: THE SALES PITCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11 »
Good find there Luke. These young people seem to be pretty aware of just what the cult is, don't they?

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:37 »
I concur. Of all the college paper write-ups I've seen, and a few of which I helped point kids in the right direction after getting hit up on Scribd/Twitter, this is by far the best one ever.

I really like how they did a multi-viewpoint take on things, and rather than just report on what they were told or seen they also went into how the experience made them feel and think. And I applaud them for that. We've seen a few local media outlets do the "I went to Scientology church" bit in recent years, and the approach taken in the write-up is always tongue-in-cheek blow off that fosters that "nobody takes Scientology seriously" attitude that I think is harmful in some respects because it deflates all the controversies that people should legitimately be concerned about when it is in their own neighborhood.

Yet the way these kids handled it is brilliant imo! They took it seriously, exposed the creepy factor and sales pitch tactics, yet still painted it with the appropriate degree of "this is bullshit" sentiment. I respect that, because while the tongue-in-cheek approach is entertaining I think it occasionally promotes a slightly dangerous level curiosity/fascination for people to go see it for themselves. But with the way these kids handled it, the usual hype is set aside and the major take-away point is one of creepy weirdness and a waste of time.

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 17:50 »
The wonderful OCA test with its intentionally misleading reference to Oxford.  Too bad they never got to the IQ tests to appeal to their intellectualism.

I remember doing the purif and they were so excited to show me the increase in IQ points afterwards.

Of course, they gave me the same exact test.  And apparently Scientology with all its "study tech" knows absolutely nothing about what is called the "Flynn Effect".

The Flynn Effect is an observation of increases in IQ points among specific populations.  One of the factors includes the fact that when children (not in any Org) take the exact same IQ test in succession, they almost always increase in score by 5 or more points.  It's referred to as "test familiarity".

This is also the reason why you are not allowed to take the Mensa IQ application more than once.  Test Familiarity.

I would imagine that scientology used to have different tests but found that IQ didn't really change much.  So they just ignored what other people have discovered and just decided to use the same tests.  Viola.

I suppose we can extrapolate and get a bunch of kids who don't go to the Org, give them the same test twice in a couple of days and "prove" that those who avoid the org actually increase in intelligence.

It's amazing how scientology doesn't really understand basic science so often.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 21:14 »
Thanks for posting about this Luke...
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.