Author Topic: Why I Was Maced at the Wall Street Protests - Boston Review  (Read 4573 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Why I Was Maced at the Wall Street Protests
By Jeanne Mansfield

My boyfriend Frank and I are heading toward Liberty Square to check out what’s going on at the Occupy Wall Street protest, when we stumble upon the afternoon march toward Union Square. So we join up and walk along behind. The crowd looks like maybe 300 people, mostly punk-styled kids and folks carrying their computers (for live streaming, we found out later) and some aging-hippie types. People are beating drums, blowing whistles, carrying signs, and chanting: “Banks got bailed out, you got sold out!” and “We are the 99 percent!” and “All day, all week, occupy Wall Street!” and of course the classic “This is what democracy looks like!”

All in all, it starts out as a pretty good time. There are police, but for the most part they are walking behind the group casually, just beat cops bantering and laughing, keeping an eye on things. There are around 30 of them. We reach Union Square, circle it a couple times, and join the human microphone. The human microphone consists of one person speaking or shouting, and then everyone within earshot repeating, thus, a human amplifier, albeit with some delay. After about fifteen minutes, we are on the move again, the crowd spurred toward the United Nations by the messages transmitted from the human microphone.

As we circle Union Square, about twenty NYPD officers haul out orange plastic nets (the kind used to fence off construction sites) and close off the road, diverting the crowd. But the detour, too, is closed, leaving us only one option: straight down Broadway. The lighthearted carnival air begins to get very heavy as it becomes clear that we are being corralled. The main group, about 150 protesters, keeps on down the street, but the police are running behind with the orange nets, siphoning off groups of fifteen to twenty people at a time, classic crowd control.

A new group of police officers arrives in white shirts, as opposed to dark blue. These guys are completely undiscerning in their aggression. If someone gets in their way, they shove them headfirst into the nearest parked car, at which point the officers are immediately surrounded by camera phones and shouts of “Shame! Shame!”

Up until this point, Frank and I have managed to stay ahead of the nets, but as we hit what I think is 12th Street, they’ve caught up. The blue-shirts aren’t being too forceful, so we manage to run free, but stay behind to see what happens. Then things go nuts.

The white-shirted cops are shouting at us to get off the street as they corral us onto the sidewalk. One African American man gets on the curb but refuses to be pushed up against the wall of the building; they throw him into the street, and five cops tackle him. As he’s being cuffed, a white kid with a video camera asks him “What’s your name?! What’s your name?!” One of the blue-shirted cops thinks he’s too close and gives him a little shove. A white-shirt sees this, grabs the kid and without hesitation billy-clubs him in the stomach.

One of the blue-shirts, tall and bald, stares in disbelief and says, ‘I can’t believe he just fuckin’ maced her.’......

more including video at http://bostonreview.net/BR36.5/jeanne_mansfield_occupy_wall_street.php

NYPD Officer of NYPD Officer: 'He Just Fucking Maced Us'

By Jen Doll Tue., Sep. 27 2011 at 2:57 PM

From Animal NY comes this video of Saturday's pepper-spraying of Occupy Wall Street protesters by a uniformed NYPD officer (who may have been identified by Anonymous). This clip shows the pandemonium from a slightly different angle. The cop who sprayed the protesters, as Elliott indicated to us on Sunday, seems to have maced at least one of his own force as well. Fast-forward to 1:30.

more including video at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/nypd_officer_he.php
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Why I Was Maced at the Wall Street Protests - Boston Review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 17:41 »
I have reviewed only a portion of the media and video on this, but it is very disturbing.

another video in in slow motion: http://youtu.be/TZ05rWx1pig
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 17:56 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Patterned after Wall Street protests, Occupy Tampa gathers to seek support
6 October 2011, 10:50 am

Should they go home at sundown or occupy Tampa all night — and risk arrest?

The roughly 500 people in downtown Tampa to protest U.S. economic inequity were still pondering Thursday whether to camp out at Lykes Gaslight Square after dark, in defiance of local ordinance.

They gathered there Thursday with drums and outrage, marching in packs through the city.

Bill Moore, 58, drove from Lakeland to watch.

"I wanted to see it," Moore said. "It's all this pent up emotion and it's not going to stop. We've got no jobs here."....

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/patterned-after-wall-street-protests-occupy-tampa-gathers-to-seek-support/1195491
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 16:54 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I don't see where this has anything to do with scientology, so it's moving.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
You're right. Posted in the wrong section. Thanks
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 13:47 »
Nice image from an Occupy Wall Street Protest:

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-501465_162-10009640-5.html?tag=page
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 14:18 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
Anonymous NYSE: Wall Street 'Hacktivism' Exposes Downside of Anonymity
11 October 2011, 5:34 pm

The attempted Anonymous takedown of the New York Stock Exchange Web site shows the strength and exposes the weakness of anarchist movements.

more at http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/229215/20111011/anonymous-nyse-hacktivism-hacker-hacktivist-wall-street-anonymity-movement-new-york-stock-exchange-t.htm

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 17:04 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
[Yahoo] Wired.com Embeds With #Occupy and Anonymous
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 21:01 »
Wired.com Embeds With #Occupy and Anonymous
18 October 2011, 6:46 pm

I’m Quinn Norton, and for the next few months I’ll be your guide to the #OccupyWallStreet (#ows) protests as they move across the internet and the world.

I’ll be staying on top of the latest big news for Threat Level as best I can in the #occupations all over America and the world, but more than that I’ll be bringing you analysis of the methods and the meaning of the #occupation. I’ll be traveling to many sites and staying with the protestors. I’ll be talking with the police and city officials, and a few of those being protested.

I’ll see if the protests can survive the change of seasons, and if they can, explain how they manage it. I’ll be reporting from General Assemblies and describing the successes and failures as people try to use urban space, the tools of the network, and each other, to create new ways of running a society as well as reform the old ones. I will tell the stories of the people on the ground and on the net engaging in this long-shot experiment to change everything.
occupy

During the same time I’ll cover a separate but not unrelated phenomenon: the rise of Anonymous. I’ll be writing a concise history of the lulzy collective, and will explain their social structure and the patterns of their values. I’ll document their exploits and raids as they arise, but I will never seek to unmask any Anons....

more at http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/quinn-norton-occupy/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 23:04 by mefree »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Occupy Wall Street's Half-Million-Dollar Headache - National - The Atlantic Wire
By Adam Martin

Occupy Wall Street has close to $500,000 in the bank -- $483,663, to be exact -- and those in charge of managing all that money have found that consensus process and anarchist principles don't make for the most efficient financial governance. According to Bill Dobbs, a member of the media committee, as of Thursday, organization has spent $66,742 and a remaining balance of $483,663. The New York Post reported on Sunday that the money that's been pouring in through donations online and at Zuccotti Park had started to lead to discontent among the occupiers, as factions within the encampment clamored for their fair share. But Dobbs explained to us, it's not that the group's financial committee is withholding that money or resisting participants' requests for it -- it's just trying to account for all its expenses and approve them via its own agreed-upon process, just like any large organization trying to administer a half-million-dollar budget.

The Post quoted an organizer of the Comfort working group (the subcommittee in charge of procuring clean clothes, sundries, and so on) who made a request from the finance group: "I was told to fill out paperwork. Paperwork! Are they the government now?" Dobbs explained to us that the paperwork was necessary in order to properly account for expenses. That quote, he said, "is a big clue" to the group's sense of responsibility. "Of course you have to fill out paperwork... that's the least that's owed to donors," he said. The group has registered as a 501(c)3, a member of its finance working group explained in an online budget discussion, and it's trying to figure out how to post its revenue and expense reports online. "I guess it's a question of whether to put them in categories or go all the way down to the receipt level," Dobbs said.

more at http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/10/occupy-wall-streets-half-million-dollar-headache/44037/
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
What?! 

I admit to not having kept up with this due to being busy, but methinks in light of this amount of money being collected, some participants will need to expand their thinking.

Aside and off-topic:
What a mess that Buddy Press forum software they're using is: http://www.nycga.net/forums/  I can understand why they didn't go with VBulletin, but there are other and better open source forum software packages which make for a much better experience.  (I'm partial to SMF, for obvious reasons.   ;) )

Narconon Reviews

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
OWS
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:42 »

Thoughts on the ever growing divide within our society. As a nation 300+million people I feel we have to coin the name of our hosts website "Reached the tipping point" from a socioeconomic pov. If you feel the same, Please visit Woodruff park in downtown Atlanta and share your thoughts and support.

• High Value Target
Re: OWS
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29 »
 Five arrested last night @ and around Woodruff park. Protest today in Snellville, in an attempt to halt a family,s house being foreclosed on. Location is 4197 Shoreside Circle Snellville, GA at 3pm. Media and press will be present.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 19:22 »
You might do more good working with these people: http://www.citizen.org
   Narconon Reviews

• High Value Target
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 12:45 »
You might do more good working with these people: http://www.citizen.org
As this organization you linked me to has been around for 40 odd years, it may once vetted be of interest to me. As it stands now, I align myself with no political entity or organization. A top to bottom rethinking of the whole capitalist model needs to be explored.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 11:23 »
Jury Finds Occupy Wall Street Protester Innocent After Video Contradicts Police Testimony - Village Voice [Updated: VIDEO]
By Nick Pinto Fri., Mar. 1 2013 at 2:53 AM

In the first jury trial stemming from an Occupy Wall Street protest, Michael Premo was found innocent of all charges yesterday after his lawyers presented video evidence directly contradicting the version of events offered by police and prosecutors....

......In the police version of events, Premo charged the police like a linebacker, taking out a lieutenant and resisting arrest so forcefully that he fractured an officer's bone. That's the story prosecutors told in Premo's trial, and it's the general story his arresting officer testified to under oath as well.

But Premo, facing felony charges of assaulting an officer, maintained his innocence. His lawyers, Meghan Maurus and Rebecca Heinegg, set out to find video evidence to contradict it. Prosecutors told them that police TARU units, who filmed virtually every moment of Occupy street protests, didn't have any footage of the entire incident. But Maurus knew from video evidence she had received while representing another defendant arrested that day that there was at least one TARU officer with relevant footage. Reviewing video shot by a citizen-journalist livestreamer during Premo's arrest, she learned that a Democracy Now cameraman was right in the middle of the fray, and when she tracked him down, he showed her a video that so perfectly suited her needs it brought a tear to her eye.

For one thing, the video prominently shows a TARU cop named Bosco, holding up his camera, which is on, and pointing at the action around the kettle. When Premo's lawyers subpoenaed Bosco, they were told he was on a secret mission at "an undisclosed location," and couldn't respond to the subpoena. Judge Robert Mandelbaum didn't accept that, and Bosco ultimately had to testify [Correction: Bosco didn't take the stand; he had to appear at the District Attorney's office for a meeting with Maurus and prosecutors. Judge Mandelbaum accepted that Bosco would likely say on the stand what he said in the meeting, and didn't require him to testify.] Bosco claimed, straining credibility, that though the camera is clearly on and he can be seen in the video pointing it as though to frame a shot, he didn't actually shoot any video that evening.

Even more importantly, the Democracy Now video also flipped the police version of events on its head. Far from showing Premo tackling a police officer, it shows cops tackling him as he attempted to get back on his feet....

.... Here's the video shot by Jon Gerberg, then freelancing for Democracy Now, that was central to Premo's acquittal: http://vimeo.com/60408577

more at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2013/03/jury_finds_occu.php
-Dalai Lama