Author Topic: One of ours has died: Boudewijn van Ingen  (Read 1630 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
One of ours has died: Boudewijn van Ingen
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:30 »
I received this sad message from Karin Spank last night.   :.{....

Boudewijn van Ingen (also known as Bogie) died last Tuesday, September 4. He was 49.

Boudewijn was one of the first Dutch people who joined me in September 1995 when I put the Fishman Affidavit online. The Fishman Affidavit contains excerpts of the OT-levels, and Scientology had been rather successful in removing the document from the internet.  Until the document hit the Dutch part of the internet: within a week, we had a hundred mirrors of the document. The ensuing lawsuit lasted for almost 10 years, and we kept winning; ever since 1996, the excerpts of the OT-levels as provided on my website are legal and anybody can copy and/or quote them.

Boudewijn joined the protest almost immediately. But unlike most others, he really read up about Scientology and decided that fighting the cult was a worthy cause. He became a *real* critic. He posted on alt.religion.scientology; he investigated; he joined IRL protests; he engaged (in as far as possible) in conversations with members, and - his most memorable feat - he engaged in debates with his co-critics when he thought that they were sloppy, immoral, or simply unkind.

Boudewijn was a kind and gentle person. Utterly smart but never condescending; utterly engaged, but never blinded.

The energy that he spent on Scientology, was even more precious because Boudewijn's health sucked. He had hemophilia, the bleeders's disease. His veins would break open at the slightest intrusion, and the blood clots that occurred everywhere in his body, had caused major disabilities. When I got to know him, he had to use crutches for support, and often a wheelchair.

A few years ago, Boudewijn got a brain hemorrhage that left him mostly incapacitated and very dependent (left side paralysis). He was forced to live in a nursing home while he tried to recuperate. And he *hated* that. It took him quite some time to finally be able to move back into his own apartment, and to feel independent again.

Last week, he got a new brain hemorrhage; and this time, he died. Somehow, I'm happy that Bouewijn didn't have to negotiate another round of devastating adjustments to more and more minimal possibilities. Yet it sucks that he has died. Boudewijn has done everything he could possibly do to survive, and yet he managed to make time to try and help free others... May he never be forgotten.

Below: picture taken in August 2000: Nantko Schanssema, Jeta Eggers and Boudewijn van Ingen, during an anti-Scientology demo at American, Amsterdam.

Bogie hosted mirrors of the old Lisa McPherson Trust website and XenuTV on his own computer, at bogie.nl, which is down now.  His main site is (for now) at http://bogie.home.xs4all.nl/ .

He will be missed.

Also posted by Karin on her website: http://www.spaink.net/2012/09/07/boudewijn/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:43 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Re: One of ours has died: Boudewijn van Ingen
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10 »
I remember him from our a.r.s. days. My condolences Karin.

BigBeard (aka 7Easy on a.r.s.)
BigBeard

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12 »

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 21:13 »
This is truly sad news; Boudewijn was a voice of reason and kindness on A.R.S., and I know he will be sorely missed by his friends and family.

Godspeed, comrade! ^v^v\O/

'til next time;
Tony W
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50 »
Condolences to all who knew and loved Bogie, especially to Karin, Jetta and his family. :.{....

His efforts are legendary; a cornerstone of the critic movement against Scientology. He will not he forgotten. 

^v^v\O/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Zinjifar

• On the path to knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 17:29 »
I'm really sad to hear that.  Especially at such a young age, but, I'm glad he was involved with us and that we had a chance to know him.

Zinj
You Can Lead a Clam to Reason; But, You Can't Make Him Think