Author Topic: Bound by Chains of Love: Michele Magwood Speaks to Bruce Clark About Love, Sex,  (Read 1146 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Anyone familiar with this book?

Bound by Chains of Love: Michele Magwood Speaks to Bruce Clark About Love, Sex, Fleas, God
By Michele Magwood for the Sunday Times:

ruce Clark tells Michele Magwood how his escape from Scientology changed his life for the better

Don’t be deceived by the cute cover of Love Sex Fleas God. Sure, it contains the “confessions of a stay-at-home-dad” that it promises, and it’s worth reading for these wry, perceptive confessions alone, but it also contains an astounding story of survival and redemption.

Consider that the title of the book was going to be The Chain Locker. The chain locker is a tiny, dank chamber on board Scientology ships where the massive chains for the anchors are stored. It’s also where disobedient children are stored for days, weeks, even months, marinating in bilge, scrabbled by rats. Bruce Clark’s teenaged sister once spent three days in a chain locker. He was fortunate, he only got thrown overboard and he at least could swim.

Clark is 55 now, a wiry, attenuated man with a rough buzzcut and the grainy skin of northern genes left out too long in the African sun. His home in Melrose is comfortable, crammed with photographs and children’s art, a jumble of dogs snoozing in a sunspot. Among the many photographs are some of his mother, Peg, a copper-haired, beautiful woman. She was, by his account, witheringly funny, irreverent, glamorous even, and a “completely useless mother”.

It would be too easy to mock Scientology here; what with Tom Cruise noshing down on placentas and grown people attached to “e-meters”, it has become fruit so low-hanging as to be scraping the ground. There’s a marvellous sequence in this book when Clark describes having to shout at an ashtray as part of his training. Still, many religions look odd from the outside – just read Carolyn Jessop’s Escape, about her life in a polygamous Mormon community. She at least had a close family. Clark reserves his fury for the way Scientology hammered his.

“Mother’s commitment to Scientology overshadowed anything and everything,” he writes. “Her [four] husbands came and went, while her children grew up and scattered to the winds. The only constant was Scientology; it outlasted all of us.”

more at http://bookslive.co.za/blog/2012/08/20/bound-by-chains-of-love-michele-magwood-speaks-to-bruce-clark-about-love-sex-fleas-god/

another book review: http://www.thecitizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/lifestyle-features?oid=316832&sn=Detail&pid=146826&Past--present--pater
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
yes, it just came out. Bruce Clark is a brave man, an exscientology kid.
Here's another review:

Past, present, pater

Author struggles with what has and what will happen in search for meaning.

12 September 2012 | BRUCE DENNILL , Citizen Online, South Africa

Love Sex Fleas God – some of which is about being a retrenched, stay-at-home dad, some of which is about being raised by a Scientology-obsessed mother and some of which is about a lean period in between there somewhere where he was a hobo – is not the book Bruce Clark planned to write, but it became one of which he’s rightfully proud. ...[..]

[..]
Scientology as it’s described here is a long way from excitable short men jumping on couches. Clark’s not the sort to pick on a single set of beliefs – he’s generally anti-religion, not specifically so – but it’s hard to read this book and not feel vehemently anti-Scientology.[..] more:
http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/lifestyle-features?oid=316832&sn=Detail&pid=146826&Past--present--pater
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Thanks, Mary. I continue to be impressed by the bravery of those who come forward to tell their stories of childhood in Scientology.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama