Author Topic: Superintendent allows Narconon GA in DeKalb County Schools  (Read 13383 times)

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
There may be more to unravel here, so starting a new thread. (Ethercat swoops in and cleans up mess?)

The DeKalb County School Board members have been summoned

Therefore, it is hereby ORDERED that the Members of the DeKalb County BOE should appear on Thursday, January 17, 2013, at 1:00 p,m. before the State Board for a hearing and to present evidence as to why the State Board should not recommend to the Governor that he suspend, with pay, the Members of the DeKalb County BOE pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 20-2-73

SACS has officially put the DeKalb Schools on a one year probation, mainly for financial mismanagement. Is it any wonder that Narconon slipped in to capitalize on the ruin?

PRWeb posted the following article on December 20, 2012 :
    Narconon Georgia Delivers Holiday Drug Education Targeted at Staying Safe During the Season

In recent weeks, hundreds of children learned about the dangers of drugs through interactive drug education. In one Dekalb County school, Narconon presenters learned from the teachers that the major drug of abuse was marijuana and that some of the families of the children were smoking crack.

One class of 300 learned about the dangers of both drugs. The children were taught refusal skills through role playing and discovered there were several ways they could be comfortable in telling their friends that they didn’t want to use drugs.

Also the side bar is interesting:
Contact

Mary Tieser
    Narconon of Georgia
    877-413-3073
    Email

Jeannine Dowdell
    Narconon East US
    727-265-3998
    Email

The DeKalb County School system superintendent is Dr. Cheryl Atkinson. Perhaps she would like to answer some questions about the statements PRweb is making.

The Superintendent shall develop and maintain a wellness plan that is in compliance with federal law, including the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kinds Act of 2010.  This plan shall address nutrition education, physical activity, use of nutrition guidelines, and other wellness-based activities in the schools and shall include measures for accountability and evaluation.

A related thread here is Narconon, Schools, Separation of Church and State, and pseudoscience

From God in the classroom: religion and America's public schools:

Critics of a Narconon antidrug program for schools have charged that concepts at the core of the program are doctrinal beliefs of the Church of Scientology and that the medical theories underlying the program are irresponsible "pseudoscience."

I feel like some action is needed here, but not sure what's best. Maybe Channel 2 would want to look into this.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:40 by snippy »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Superintendent allows Narconon GA in DeKalb County Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30 »
I imagine Pete Combs, Jodie Fleischer and Christian Boone would be interested.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:52 »
OK, that took forever. 1000 character limit. Body of note to Jodie F:

Thanks for your recent report on Narconon.  With the mess the DeKalb Co. Schools are in, has anyone noticed that Narconon Georgia slipped into the schools?

From PRWeb  Dec. 20, 2012 :
 http://www.prweb.com/releases/Narconon-Georgia/Holiday-Drug-Education/prweb10258905.htm

Perhaps Superintendent Cheryl Atkinson, could answer some questions about the statements PRWeb is making. California's BoE rejected Narconon's drug "education" program after a thorough study. Other states have also banned them from schools. SF Chronicle:
http://www.sfgate.com/education/article/Schools-urged-to-drop-antidrug-program-2728677.php

God in the classroom: religion and America's public schools:
"...concepts at the core of the program are doctrinal beliefs of the Church of Scientology and that the medical theories underlying the program are irresponsible pseudoscience."

May be worth looking into, for the kids sake.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 14:16 by snippy »

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 20:35 »
There may be more to unravel here, so starting a new thread. (Ethercat swoops in and cleans up mess?)

Oh, no.  No cleanup needed here.  No mess.   \*/

Maybe just a link to here from the other thread?
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12111.msg28237.html#msg28237
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 21:09 »
I sent this thread link to WSB Radio investigative reporter, Pete Combs :)
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 22:33 »
This is a bit of a doc-dump, but its well organized. This is BigBeards awesome list for SFGate from WWP:

It was actually a series of articles on the SFGate blog of the SF Chronicle. This is the list I dug out of my archives, which I believe is complete, but I won't swear to it:

Original article by Nanette Asimov (NA below), and yes, she's the niece of THE Asimov:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-09/news/17430691_1_drug-residue-drug-treatment-centers-flush-drugs

NA - 1st Follow-up: Points out links to Scientology teachings:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-09/news/17430542_1_scientology-anti-drug-public-classrooms

NA - 2nd Follow-up: Narconon lecturers put on notice to fix inaccuracies

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-10/news/17429168_1_scientology-late-science-fiction-writer-san-francisco-schools

Clark Carr's (Scientology/Narconon Spokesperson) response to the above articles, full of the usual nonsense:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-23/opinion/17432673_1_drug-prevention-drug-czar-john-walters-drug-abuse

Article by Heather Knight on NN defending the program to the SF School Board:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-23/bay-area/17432719_1_narconon-program-san-francisco-schools-school-board

NA - 3rd Follow-up: LA Schools look hard at Narconon following SF & state review of NN program (pretty much shoots Clark Carr's response down in flames):

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-23/bay-area/17432748_1_scientology-narconon-los-angeles-schools-school-district

NA - 4th Follow-up: SF schools ban Narconon program, along with 4 other school districts including LA:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-08-25/news/17439395_1_anti-drug-program-narconon-international-san-francisco-schools

NA - 5th Follow-up: Narcon program flunks test by panel of experts (includes usual 'experts are biased' response from $cilon spokes person):

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-10-02/bay-area/17447419_1_san-francisco-schools-narconon-international-medical-experts

NA - 6th Follow-up: Schools urged to drop Scientology linked antidrug program:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-02-23/news/17362142_1_drug-residues-san-francisco-schools-school-health

NA - 7th Follow-up: California Medical Association backs schools dropping the Narcon program:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-03-27/bay-area/17365828_1_narconon-smaller-districts-california-schools

BigBeard
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 22:44 by snippy »

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 22:41 »
Narconon Arrowhead gives presentation at local school
McAlester News-Capital
October 23rd 2012
By Jeanne LeFlore

Discussion at WWP here.

Canadian High School Principal Bud Rattan said the group has been at the school several times over the years.

“They have been coming here and giving their presentation every year for the last seven or eight years,” Principal Bud Rattan.

Bitinas said the group usually visits the school twice a year.

“We try to do a bi-annual presentation,” he said.

Bitinas said Narconon plans to visit several schools across Oklahoma over the next few days. “We have about five schools scheduled,” he said.

Principal Rattan said Narconon Arrowhead representatives, Niko Bain and Bitinas, spoke to the students for about an hour.

During the presentation Canadian students were taught that all medication is poison, according to the press-release.

“One of the points of focus was combating the widely spread misinformation about the ‘positive’ uses of drugs, stating that all drugs are basically poison to a person’s body,” the release states.

Many children of Narconon staff attend the school. A letter campaign stopped this I believe.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 22:48 by snippy »

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 22:51 »
Some redlined documents from School Board go here (later).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 23:04 by snippy »

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20 »
The official State of California report on narCONon, generated as a direct result of those SFGate articles, can be found here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/at/narcononevaluation.asp

Being an official state report it often has more impact in 'poons to school boards than information from other sources.

BigBeard

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 23:58 »
From Scientology Newsroom:

Scientologist, Dr. Joel Benk, DDS, Combats Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic
| Atlanta, Georgia • DECEMBER 16, 2012 |

Scientologist and dentist Joel Benk is a drug prevention activist helping to curb soaring prescription drug abuse by making the Truth About Drugs available to colleagues, educators and law enforcement professionals

It was no surprise to Dr. Joel Benk, DDS, that the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy is calling prescription drug abuse “the nation's fastest-growing drug problem.”

Seeing the program’s effectiveness with his patients, he disseminated it to those who deal with drug abuse and provide drug prevention professionally—local police departments, school systems and drug courts.

“Three years ago, I presented the program to the Cobb County Juvenile Drug Court. The judge and her aide immediately recognized its value,” says Benk.

Benk says the judge, who observes offenders returning to court time and again, was eager to implement the program and share it with her colleagues. She invited Benk to the annual meeting of Georgia drug court professionals, which he has attended every year since.

ooo:/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 00:09 by snippy »

Offline Watcher2

• On the path to knowledge
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 00:58 »
Sorry forgot my password and having issues with my email. ANYWAY, it's me Warcher with a 2 behind my name lol. Sounds like this Doctor has a whole group of $cions in his practice. Just read the Dr. Profiles here...

http://www.atlantadentalcenter.com/about-meet.php

"Lastly, Dr. Benk believes in giving back to his community. He is a sponsor for The Way to Happiness, the Foundation for a Drug Free World, and the Concerned Businessman Association of America."

"As a solid contributor to the community, Dr Schmidt serves as the Executive Director for the Citizens Commission on Human Rights and as the Vice-President for the Narconon Center of Georgia. He is also a strong sponsor of the Drug Free Marshals program."

Not sure about the other Doc not much to read there.

_[:o. I always have had a fear of dentist.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26 »
LOL. Yes - seen his name around a few places. Now he's buddy buddy with a judge or two. The Cobb Drug Court concerns me the most.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56 »
Dr. Benk is one of the largest donors to the Atlanta Ideal Org project and his wife is or was holding the post of Executive Director at the church of Scientology here.  They have had at least one child in the Sea Org (a daughter). 

When Dr. Benk was in Clearwater trying to get onto his OT levels, he somehow got a hold of my cell# and called me asking for a donation to a library campaign (one of hundreds of calls I got back then for the same thing). 

In Scientology, even those who donate the most are also made to ask others for money - it is all about the money.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 22:11 »

:cleanuponaisle4:

Please continue.   ;)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46 »
Get Schooled
D-day for DeKalb: State board considers fate of school board Thursday

10:19 am January 13, 2013, by Maureen Downey

The state Board of Education will hold a hearing Thursday on the fate of the fractious DeKalb school board, which was the subject of a devastating critique by the district’s accreditation agency...

The state board will hold its hearing at 1 p.m. in the Twin Towers in downtown Atlanta.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 15:02 by snippy »

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13 »
Tory Magoo has a new YouTube today. Thank you Tory!

Published on Jan 31, 2013

$cientology has been going into High Schools and taking kids out, signing them up for Staff, and this needs to be made known. IF you are a parent, please find out IF your children's school has ANY L Ron Hubbard ANYTHING on it (Stress tests, Drug education, Applied Scholastics, Way to Happiness, OR recruiting for $cientology Staff) and make sure they understand ALL of those are Under the umbrella of the "Church of Scientology" and thus violate Church vs State laws. Secondly, IF you are a HS student---do NOT "try it". They are good at capturing people. Don't be a pawn. Expose them to your school and get them OFF your campus. And $cientology? You know why.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 21:01 »
Cheryl Atkinson is officially out. Georgia labor commissioner Michael Thurmond is new interim superintendent.

DeKalb Superintendent Atkinson replaced by former Georgia labor commissioner

The board goes before the Georgia Board of Education for its hearing on Feb. 21.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 21:13 »
Cheryl Atkinson is officially out. Georgia labor commissioner Michael Thurmond is new interim superintendent.

DeKalb Superintendent Atkinson replaced by former Georgia labor commissioner

The board goes before the Georgia Board of Education for its hearing on Feb. 21.

Good
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 23:04 »
DeKalb County school board hearing a lengthy legal drama

After a grueling 14-hour hearing that went into Thursday night, the Georgia Board of Education voted unanimously to recommend suspending six of the nine members of the DeKalb County school board.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 00:11 »
DeKalb County school board hearing a lengthy legal drama

Good grief!  It sounds like scientology!
The report says the school system borrowed $12 million to buy new textbooks, “yet numerous interviews revealed that no one could identify any school that had received new textbooks.”

Mike Perrone, DeKalb’s chief financial officer, said DeKalb borrowed $25 million to buy books, but returned $13 million to the bank because of budget cutting. Kathy Howe, a deputy superintendent, said she had receipts and spreadsheets that indicated the other $12 million was spent on books.

Wonder if NN/Mary R. will lose a friend:
What’s next?

The state board of education will make a recommendation to Gov. Nathan Deal. Deal will decide whether to remove current board members and appoint new ones.
Who can stay, who might go

The six DeKalb County school board members recommended for suspension:

Eugene Walker
    Nancy Jester
    Jesse “Jay” Cunningham
    Sarah Copelin-Wood
    Pam Speaks
    Donna Edler

The three new board members recommended to remain:

Marshall Orson
    Melvin Johnson
    Jim McMahan