Author Topic: What will happen to aging Sea Org Members?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Chica28

• On the path to knowledge
What will happen to aging Sea Org Members?
« on: October 26, 2010, 21:16 »
I imagine this is something Scientology has only had to deal with in recent years...Sea Org Members who get too old and in poor health and cannot keep working.  My family members in the Sea Org are in their mid 60's now and live in downtown LA.  The male family member has been in declining health with a stroke and other heart issues.  His wife is still a working member of the Sea Org and I know they live together again after may years of living apart.  I'm curious what Scientology is going to do with these members and others as they reach past retirement age and cannot work anymore, but will not be able to collect Social Security.  My family members were both educated people (teachers) with careers before they joined the Sea Org in the early 80's, so they have enough credits in Social Security.  But their children have spent their whole working life in the Sea Org and they will not.

Has anyone else thought about this?

Thanks!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: What will happen to aging Sea Org Members?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 22:10 »
We have some other members who might be able to answer your question better. There was a discussion about this on Ex Sci Kids.

http://www.exscientologykids.com/eskforums/viewtopic.php?p=26271&sid=e8e22514589864d9d018f5400d31e8c5
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline BT Dedex

• Met Xenu
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 22:53 »
This ESMB thread might answer a lot of your questions

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?s=f42fe7ea3de353818d6138ccb9e4f148&t=4316

"Just Bill" is the blogger below, and in my opinion is a very credible source of information.  I suggest browsing around his blog, and make up your own mind.

http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/2010/01/hubbard-scale-of-formulas-and.html

January 3, 2010 8:51 AM
Anonymous said...

Just Bill,

Any info on how the SeaOrg is treating its aging and sick members? Are there lots of them, or do people tend to leave in their 50s?

I knew an SO 30 yr. staffer and her last years were not exactly country club stuff. You'd think Miscavige could have melted down one of his solid gold toilet seats to give this faithful servant some comfort, but, oh well.

January 4, 2010 12:50 PM
Just Bill said...

Re: Old Sea Org members.

They are literally dumped on the streets with a few dollars. When their medical problems become too much, they are "off loaded". No retirement, no medical care, no caring. "You can't work any more? Goodbye!"

January 7, 2010 1:31 PM
Just Bill said...

@Anonymous Scientologist

While my site might be "entheta" by Scientology's definition, it is not untruthful.

As for your story, I hate to doubt your good word, but it just doesn't ring true. You just happened to be driving a cab, you just happened to pick up this person, who just happened to be an old, infirm Sea Org member. You just happened to drop him off at this "nice" retirement home where other infirm Sea Org members just happened to be waiting for your fare. Undoubtedly they were all singing happy songs.

Yeah. And what about all the stories on the Internet about all the ailing Sea Org members being "Fitness Boarded", "off-loaded" and dumped on the street with only $500 for 20, 30, 40 years of service? No Social Security, no retirement accounts, no health insurance, no money. Those are "untruthful"? No, the stories certainly will be "entheta" to you but they are true.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 23:01 by BT Dedex »

Offline Chica28

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 16:11 »
Thank you all so much for sharing these links.  I will get to reading them later today.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:59 »
Just wanted to say hello and thank you for this important question. You may want to read about New Era Seniors, a group run by scientologist public helping elderly get housing
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/new-era-seniors-international-46977/

This was probably birthed by Clearwater and LA scientologists who were aware of the lack of housing for the elder SO.

Best wishes,
Mary
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Chica28

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 00:56 »
Thanks, Mary and others who have shared the links.  It has been interesting reading thus far.