Author Topic: [Google] Scientology link to charity - Sydney Morning Herald  (Read 540 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Scientology link to charity - Sydney Morning Herald
16 January 2011, 8:16 am
by Nick O'Malley

A CHARITY that recruits volunteers to run recreational activities at detention centres is on the brink of deregistration for failing to provide a single financial statement to Fair Trading NSW since it was formally created in 2003.

Fair Trading wrote to the founder of the Australian League of Immigration Volunteers, Gary Taylor, on December 15, demanding he lodge the documents within 28 days. But it has received no response.

The Herald understands Fair Trading wrote again last week asking Mr Taylor to show cause why the organisation should not be deregistered.

A priest who worked with the league's volunteers at one centre is concerned about the group's restrictive regulations, which he says are unlike any he has encountered in 30 years of charity work.

Former volunteers have speculated that it is being run on the principles of Scientology, while Pamela Curr, the campaign co-ordinator of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, fears for the well-being of the vulnerable detainees.

Volunteers who spoke to the Herald said they valued the work they did with asylum seekers but were worried about the organisation, angered by the strict confidentiality agreements they were obliged to sign, and bewildered by some of the group's intrusive rules.

Asked why the organisation had failed to provide annual reports, Mr Taylor said yesterday: ''Wow! Oops!'' before explaining that volunteer organisations tended to focus on providing services rather than on administration.

more at http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/volunteers-at-detention-centres-speak-about-scientology-influence-20110116-19sls.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 19:02 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.