Author Topic: Keyword marketing - "rehab" is #18, "treatment" is #19 Cost: $$$  (Read 2820 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Somehow on a random surf, I ended up at this page: How Google Makes Its Billions: The 20 Most Expensive AdWords Keyword Categories which refers to a study done here:
The Top 20 Most Expensive Keyword Categories in Google AdWords

According to the study, the "rehab" category (which includes such terms as "alcohol rehab centers," "crack rehab centers") is at #18 in search volume for these 20 most expensive keywords, and the "treatment" category (which includes such terms as "mesothelioma treatment options," "drug treatment centers") is at #19.

The term "rehab" costs $33.59 per click, and makes up 0.5% of the top 20 categories of searches.

The term "treatment" costs $37.18 per click, and makes up 0.4% of the top 20 categories of searches.

"Recovery" is another biggie, at $42.03, making up 0.7% of the top 20 and coming in at #14, but this is shared with terms such as "raid server data recovery," "hard drive recovery laptop", i.e. "data recovery".

This form of advertising has got to be costing Narconon (and related entities) a small fortune!  As we know, people cannot search for these terms without at least one Narconon ad appearing. 

(Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I am NOT advocating any click marathons or bots to cost them more money!  That's not my way of doing things.)

My point in making this interesting bit of data known is really just to register my surprise at the cost that Narconon (and related entities) is willing to pay for a click.  Marketing people discuss such things as "conversion rates", which is the percentage of people who buy after being exposed to an ad.  From what I read, 2-3% is about average for the web - that is, 2 to 3 people per hundred who click on the ad link (visit the page) are likely to buy (not those who just see the ad link).

But are they foolish to pay this?

Narconon can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 (or more), making one sale worth many many clicks.  Taking $25,000 as an average and dividing by an average cost per click (CPC) of $35, they could cover the keyword advertising cost if they only got one client from 714 clicks. 

2% of 714 is 14.  Does Narconon get a conversion rate of 2%? 

Thinking of it another way, if Narconon got 2 sales out of 100 clicks for which they paid a total of $3500, and then made $50,000 from those two clicks, that's quite a profit, especially for a non-profit, wouldn't you say?  (Of course, I do realize they have expenses that come out of that $50,000, too, but still...)

Do you think Narconon with their hard sell tactics would have above average conversion rates?

Would people who have reached the point of searching for "drug rehab" or "drug treatment" will be more likely to choose one of the sites they find than other types of searches, which are more optional types of spending?

And along another line of thought, do you think Narconon's propensity to buy so many ads with the keywords "rehab" and "treatment" may be artificially elevating the cost of those keywords?

http://www.superarticledirectory.com/Art/105844/24/The-Fun-of-Selling-Big-Ticket-Items.html
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Great catch, EC. I gather this is another reason why they set up so many fake referral sites, which they usually don't advertise via google.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Keyword marketing - "rehab" is #18, "treatment" is #19 Cost: $$$
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:53 »
Great catch, EC. I gather this is another reason why they set up so many fake referral sites, which they usually don't advertise via google.

The paid ads come up in "sponsored" listings, and in google adsense ads on websites who use adsense to bring in money on blogs, forums, etc.  The fake referral sites are optimized to come up in the "organic" search listings. 

Some people are less likely than others to click paid links, so having the saturation in both places makes it difficult for people to avoid seeing (and clicking) a path which will ultimately lead to Narconon.  Very tricky, and IMO, a very sleazy form of advertising.  I guess if they can't compete on their merits, they have to find another way of competing.

Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 22:03 »
Remember, this is also set up to satisfy Narconon's 2 tiller system they have set up.

With this they steer profits away from their nonprofit tiller into their subcontract / kickback tiller. That way the execs are keeping more of the money that they would have to spend the excess according to IRS nonprofit rules.  Do wonder if Narconon Int also gets kickbacks on the 2nd tiller monies. We shall see....
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:20 »
Nice observation, Mary. 

Narconon Reviews