Author Topic: Arrowhead Detox  (Read 9746 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Arrowhead Detox
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 22:09 »
I've changed your name to the correct spelling, Suppressive Person.  See my email to you for details.   :)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 22:46 »
Luke writes up the closing on his blog and provides more goodies.

Narconon Arrowhead’s Medical Detox Unit Closed - Have You Told All?
By Lucas Catton

.....Soon after that multiple people began investigating, and by this evening Jeanne LeFlore at the McAlester News-Capital had verified the closing with the state and posted her story.

This is significant for multiple reasons. First is the fact that either they couldn’t gain permanent certification from the state or decided to withdraw their bid. As early as ten years ago Narconon Arrowhead had dreams of operating its own medical detox, which which was projected to bring up their overall income as well as profit margin to a staggering 60% – banking hundreds of thousands of dollars per month. Well that level of income never fully materialized for them, but they did manage to open up a med detox unit at their McAlester building nearly two years ago.

Medical detox is one of, if not the most costly per-day charge in the drug treatment field. Even in lower-income areas these centers can charge $500 per day, while it is common to see detox center rates be twice as much or more. In the months following the multiple deaths of clients at their rehab center and the ensuing media attention, Narconon Arrowhead began to rely even more on that extra income from the detox center, which they were getting insurance payments for.....

more at http://www.haveyoutoldall.com/narconon-arrowheads-medical-detox-unit-closed/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 00:11 »
 :){}{}{}
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Suppressive Person

• Met Xenu
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:41 »
"Medical detox is one of, if not the most costly per-day charge in the drug treatment field"

Correct. Which is why Per Wickstrom's outfit in Michigan encourages  and directs families to have the admitting victim drink a large quantity of alcohol before admission ( even if they don't have a particular alcohol problem.) Or, if they truly do not like alcohol they will encourage use of their drug of choice.  They want the blood work they take to show alcohol and drugs to justify their "detox".  And they will bill any insurance the client has in addition to the families private pay for the same said "detox". They double dip when they can.

It also why they drop protesting clients off at shady hotels in crack town or mission centers rife with drugs as a 'disciplinary practice'. They hope the young client - alone and out of town - will use again so they can charge the family an additional 5K to "detox' them again.  They create a problem to solve it.  It is akin to putting heart patients on a roller coaster in the hopes of another heart attack -  so they can treat them again. 

I am sure if Arrowhead was able to keep this "medical detox" open they would have employed similar policies. I have briefly experienced Scientology practicing medicine.  "It ain't pretty."

And compared to other detox programs, Narconon based  detox  is quite lengthy - up to 7 days.   And thus very expensive.  Even Hazelden in Center City - one of the premier, gold standard rehabs in the country - has a 1-3 day detox and then moves clients into their program as quickly as possible.

It is about money. Plain and simple.  It is also another form of  fraud.
When we remember that we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
-- Mark Twain

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55 »
Narconon Arrowhead loses state certification - McAlester News-Capital
By Jeanne LeFlore
McALESTER — Narconon Arrowhead’s medical detox facility in McAlester has lost its state certification, officials say.

“Their temporary permit has expired and Arrowhead Medical Detox is not certified for medical detox,” said Jeff Desmukes of the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health Substance Abuse Services.

The permit expired May 16 after Narconon Arrowhead failed to correct deficiencies found by the state during earlier inspections, according to Desmukes.

more at http://mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x1981930665/Narconon-Arrowhead-loses-state-certification

Yeeeehaaaaa!   o--OL--o

Now to get the main facility shut down...
BigBeard

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05 »
These 'Detox Centers' are a giant money pump for the cult. oo==$$ They cost almost nothing beyond the building, sauna, and gas or electricity, one or two $50/week sea-orgers to hand out towels, and water for the showers. And since Hubbard's ignorance of how detoxification works in living beings guarantees they do pretty much nothing, save for dehydrating, the victims of the detox scam. And some of those may not be NN students, but other folks who are being taken in by their detox claims. I can also point out that without the detox, NN Arrowhead cannot fulfil the anti-scientific requirements of the Hubbard Drug Rundowns, can they? (:E) Which means the other half of the NN scam is completely compromised, and totally 'out-tech', doesn't it? If they continue operating without the detox, wouldn't that negate their Scientological beliefs? Since it is always a package deal, first the detox, then the TRs, isn't it? (/^I^\)

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 11:30 »
"Medical detox is one of, if not the most costly per-day charge in the drug treatment field"

Correct. Which is why Per Wickstrom's outfit in Michigan encourages  and directs families to have the admitting victim drink a large quantity of alcohol before admission ( even if they don't have a particular alcohol problem.) Or, if they truly do not like alcohol they will encourage use of their drug of choice.  They want the blood work they take to show alcohol and drugs to justify their "detox".  And they will bill any insurance the client has in addition to the families private pay for the same said "detox". They double dip when they can.

It also why they drop protesting clients off at shady hotels in crack town or mission centers rife with drugs as a 'disciplinary practice'. They hope the young client - alone and out of town - will use again so they can charge the family an additional 5K to "detox' them again.  They create a problem to solve it.  It is akin to putting heart patients on a roller coaster in the hopes of another heart attack -  so they can treat them again. 

I am sure if Arrowhead was able to keep this "medical detox" open they would have employed similar policies. I have briefly experienced Scientology practicing medicine.  "It ain't pretty."

And compared to other detox programs, Narconon based  detox  is quite lengthy - up to 7 days.   And thus very expensive.  Even Hazelden in Center City - one of the premier, gold standard rehabs in the country - has a 1-3 day detox and then moves clients into their program as quickly as possible.

It is about money. Plain and simple.  It is also another form of  fraud.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can count on the Michigan state agencies to act, if they haven't by now. The best course of action may be for people to file police reports.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 12:28 »
These 'Detox Centers' are a giant money pump for the cult. oo==$$ They cost almost nothing beyond the building, sauna, and gas or electricity, one or two $50/week sea-orgers to hand out towels, and water for the showers. And since Hubbard's ignorance of how detoxification works in living beings guarantees they do pretty much nothing, save for dehydrating, the victims of the detox scam. And some of those may not be NN students, but other folks who are being taken in by their detox claims. I can also point out that without the detox, NN Arrowhead cannot fulfil the anti-scientific requirements of the Hubbard Drug Rundowns, can they? (:E) Which means the other half of the NN scam is completely compromised, and totally 'out-tech', doesn't it? If they continue operating without the detox, wouldn't that negate their Scientological beliefs? Since it is always a package deal, first the detox, then the TRs, isn't it? (/^I^\) 

'til next time;
wynot

You're right that they're huge money-makers, but the medical detox centers actually use prescription drugs to wean people off whatever they were on.    They are required to be monitored by doctors and nurses, which is why the insurance companies also pay more per day.  The sauna program is still being delivered as part of the program at the main facility.  The fact that they had this facility operational at the time of Stacy Murphy's passing also shows even more negligence, in my opinion, because they could have sent her there and administered drugs that would have prevented the overdose.

Miss Fortune also got something mixed up.  The detox wasn't run by Pur Detox, though they had initially tried to set one up in the facility.  Arrowhead detox was run by Narconon Arrowhead in full, which was also why the temp permit was issued to Narconon of Oklahoma Inc., dba Arrowhead Detox.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 14:09 »
Thanks for the correction Luke! And the good news is still unchanged: one more cash-cow has stopped giving milk! (*ouo*)

'til later;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 21:14 »
You're right that they're huge money-makers, but the medical detox centers actually use prescription drugs to wean people off whatever they were on.    They are required to be monitored by doctors and nurses, which is why the insurance companies also pay more per day.  The sauna program is still being delivered as part of the program at the main facility.  The fact that they had this facility operational at the time of Stacy Murphy's passing also shows even more negligence, in my opinion, because they could have sent her there and administered drugs that would have prevented the overdose.

Oh, good point, Luke!  And as Suppressive Person mentioned, if they're let go on a leave of absence, or dropped off at a crack motel and they relapse, there's another big charge to the insurance companies, as well as to the parents (or whoever paid the first time around).  Didn't Emily Morton (of the NNGa insurance fraud investigation) have repeated charges for Intensive Out Patient treatment (IOP) as well as the regular charges?

It would be nice to think they had gotten smart enough to realize some drugs cannot be stopped cold turkey, and decided to set up medical detoxes, but I think instead it was that they got greedy enough.  Nothing to do with getting smart, or being benevolent.

Miss Fortune also got something mixed up.  The detox wasn't run by Pur Detox, though they had initially tried to set one up in the facility.  Arrowhead detox was run by Narconon Arrowhead in full, which was also why the temp permit was issued to Narconon of Oklahoma Inc., dba Arrowhead Detox.

||||||||\\\\\\\:D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Suppressive Person

• Met Xenu
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36 »
the medical detox centers actually use prescription drugs to wean people off whatever they were on.    They are required to be monitored by doctors and nurses,

Correct again.

However, like everything else, Narconon abuses this process.  Wickstrom uses an ill informed off site Family Practice outfit to prescribe meds and the 'nurses' on site are poorly trained CNA's that do as they are told without question to keep their low wage jobs. Any Doctor that signs on to be Medical Director for these facilities is suspect to be focused on his profit and not the health or needs of the patient.

The client is seen once by these physicians at an off site location and given a cursory exam of looking in eyes, ears etc.  Then based on what the facility ( Wickstrom employees) have told them and drug/alcohol blood work - they prescribe .  However, they are in cahoots with the facility philosophy and often abruptly stop current psychiatric or other meds without any consultation with the clients hometown physician. They are unconcerned with  any patient history - only facility ideology.   

AFR's "Medical Director" is currently being sued for malpractice-- and rightly so.
When we remember that we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
-- Mark Twain

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 20:38 »
I know this is about Arrowhead Detox but FYI.
Fresh Start Sunshine Summit Lodge uses Orange County Detox.
 http://www.orangecountydetox.com/

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 00:22 »
^^^^
Thanks, Sunshine.

More on the Narconon Arrowhead situation.

Okla. certification expires for medical detox site - newsobserver.com

...."Narconon plans to file a new application for certification and intends to reopen Arrowhead Medical Detox by the end of the year," Riggs said. Meanwhile. Narconon Arrowhead continues to offer rehabilitation services to those in need, Riggs said.

The Arrowhead facility is one of two that are operated in the county by the nonprofit Naronon, which is rooted in the teachings of Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Besides the medical detox site in McAlester, Narconon operates a non-medical drug rehabilitation center in Canadian where three patients have died in the past two years.

Stacy Dawn Murphy, 20, was found dead in a detox room on July 19, 2012. Three months earlier, Hillary Holten, 21, was found dead in her bed on April 11, 2012. On Oct. 26, 2011, Gabriel Graves, 32, was found dead in his bed at the facility.

Murphy's death last year led to preliminary investigations by law enforcement authorities, including the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said Friday her agency is no longer actively investigating the facility.

Pittsburg County District Attorney Farley Ward did not return a telephone call concerning whether his office is investigating the deaths....

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/09/3095839/okla-certification-expires-for.html#storylink=cpy
WTF ???
-Dalai Lama

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 09:46 »
^^^ Comments are open.

BigBeard

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 00:45 »

Is Orange County Detox a disguised Narconon, or do they have other clients?  I see something on the site that leads me to think it's Narconon-specific (word usage), but I don't want to disclose what it is and tip them off.

By the way, congrats on 100 posts, Sunshine.   :)  Just happened to notice that.

WTF ???

WTF the WTF? 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12 »
WTF the WTF?

Oh, I just have the impression there's not much investigating going on and that the medical detox could get reopened in a year.

I'd love to be wrong.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 00:16 »

Is Orange County Detox a disguised Narconon, or do they have other clients?  I see something on the site that leads me to think it's Narconon-specific (word usage), but I don't want to disclose what it is and tip them off.

By the way, congrats on 100 posts, Sunshine.   :)  Just happened to notice that.

WTF ???

WTF the WTF?

Orange County Detox is not a Narconon center. It's been around for many years, before NArconon existed in that county They do medical detox, often without use of meds when they can get away with it. Depends on the patient's addiction state and type of drug they are in need of withdrawing from.

What Narconon Southern California, now Narconon Fresh Start did was enter into an agreement for sending people in need of medical detox to them and also to Fresh Start's Medical Director Dr Sosin's Institute for Progressive Medicine.

Often the person will arrive at a Narconon facility and then be told they need medical detox and then be sent to one or the other depending upon bed availability. Detox at these facilities is anywhere from 3- 10 days. Unless arranged in advance, the fee for this is included in the payment charged by Narconon and then Narconon pays the med detox center. These facilities and what they have been paid through the year by Narconon are listed in Narconon Fresh Start's annual 990 forms.

Narconon Fresh Start began this practice because they realized that they could not treat some opiate and heroin addicts without liability risk. Funny how they claim to be a drugless program when in fact they are using medical drugs to detox patients in this way.

Arrowhead Detox was set up on the internet, without the Narconon name, in an attempt to avoid people connecting that set of dots. It's just part of the fraud they commit in lying to the public about it's program.

Unfortunately, too many people have died in connection to their medical detox ventures, or the lack of there being any medical detox when traditional standards would require one.
Two examples

We saw that Cody Bates died back in 2007 due to the negligence of Narconon/Criminon front group Social Betterment Development Company dba  New Life San Francisco ( now closed ) acting like a medical detox center  http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,11362.0.html

http://free-from-scientology.blogspot.com/2008/07/scientology-and-its-dangerous-front.html

The original full complaint can be found here ( not including amendments to include specific names as defendents and add the deceased's father as a plaintiff:
http://webaccess.sftc.org/minds_asp_pdf/mainpage.asp?Web_Server=webaccess.sftc.org&MINDS_Server=ntimagex&Category=C&DocID=01953274

Full docket and documents available here:
http://webaccess.sftc.org/Scripts/Magic94/mgrqispi94.dll?APPNAME=WEB&PRGNAME=ValidateCaseNumber&ARGUMENTS=-ACGC07469565

Amber Bullins' death at Tranquility Detox ( owned by A Forever Recovery and Best Drug Rehabilitation )
http://narcononreviews.net/narconon/death-at-scientology-michigan-drug-rehab-sparks-widespread-investigation/

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19 »
Since Arrowhead said they planned on re-applying for their detox license, here is how I envision it going down:

They are in the process of forming a separate company on paper to operate the actual detox portion and then pay huge amounts of rent, training and other fees to Narconon Arrowhead so that they still get that money.  Of course their Executive Council will still ultimately control the new corporation (a la any other type of Scientology shell game), but they will have that paperwork separation.

If you noticed, it has been pretty quiet still on the Oklahoma front.  The press releases being sent out by Narconon International are primarily for Michigan, California, Mexico and other places overseas.  The only thing recently is that they launched their own reviews site - narcononarrowheadreviews . com

Word is that Phil Hart - Executive Director of Narconon International (and former member of Scientology's disgraced Guardian's Office) - is taking a personal stake in Arrowhead and plans to physically relocate himself there to lead the charge through all of these legal battles they're up against. 

Nothing guarantees a loss in the end more than a Scientology intelligence officer, because they will eventually get caught in their lies...

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 13:20 »
Since Arrowhead said they planned on re-applying for their detox license, here is how I envision it going down:

They are in the process of forming a separate company on paper to operate the actual detox portion and then pay huge amounts of rent, training and other fees to Narconon Arrowhead so that they still get that money.  Of course their Executive Council will still ultimately control the new corporation (a la any other type of Scientology shell game), but they will have that paperwork separation.

If you noticed, it has been pretty quiet still on the Oklahoma front.  The press releases being sent out by Narconon International are primarily for Michigan, California, Mexico and other places overseas.  The only thing recently is that they launched their own reviews site - narcononarrowheadreviews . com

Word is that Phil Hart - Executive Director of Narconon International (and former member of Scientology's disgraced Guardian's Office) - is taking a personal stake in Arrowhead and plans to physically relocate himself there to lead the charge through all of these legal battles they're up against. 

Nothing guarantees a loss in the end more than a Scientology intelligence officer, because they will eventually get caught in their lies...

Thanks for this information...

I suspect that the cases are not going well for Narconon OK, lol

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 16:38 »

Wow! We'll see if he can do any better than Mary Rieser, LOL.
-Dalai Lama