Author Topic: [Yahoo] Lawsuit over drug rehab center awaits ruling on firm's Scientology roots  (Read 1609 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Lawsuit over drug rehab center awaits ruling on firm's Scientology roots
5 January 2013, 5:34 am
By Barbara Behrendt, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Sunday, January 6, 2013

BROOKSVILLE — A Spring Hill drug rehabilitation center is seeking more than $6 million in damages from Hernando County for turning down its plans to expand the facility four years ago.

But before that matter can be decided this week in the U.S. District Court in Tampa, the judge must settle another issue — whether the lawyer representing the county can talk about the center's connection to the Church of Scientology and about a spate of recent deaths at similar facilities.

Last month the attorney for Toucan Partners LLC, the firm that owns the Suncoast Rehabilitation Center on Cessna Drive, and Narconon Spring Hill Inc., which runs the center, sought a ruling seeking to prohibit the county from mentioning the connection or the deaths at other centers operating under the Narconon name.

As of late last week, a ruling from the judge had not been filed on this question. Some judges prefer to wait until the issue is raised during a trial, said Joe Mason, the Brooksville attorney for Toucan and Narconon Spring Hill.

The motion filed by Jon Tasso, another attorney for Toucan and Narconon, argued that mention of Scientology and its connection to Narconon — or recent deaths at Narconon's signature treatment center in Oklahoma — were not relevant to the issues central to the lawsuit.

In 2009, the Hernando County Commission turned down Toucan's proposal to expand from 21 to 54 beds on the 3-acre site, citing incompatibility with the adjacent residential neighborhood.

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/lawsuit-over-drug-rehab-center-awaits-ruling-on-firms-scientology-roots/1269030
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 14:57 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Let's hope that the Hernando County Commission wins on both matters.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
County must pay in case against Scientology-affiliated rehab - Tampa Bay Times
Barbara Behrendt, Times Staff Writer
Monday, July 1, 2013 3:45pm

BROOKSVILLE — Hernando County got off easy when a jury levied just $74,000 in penalties after finding discrimination in a 2009 land-use decision. But the county was not so lucky in the matter of paying the other side's costs.

Last month, the county reached an agreement to pay $425,000 in attorneys fees, expert witness fees and other costs over the federal lawsuit that Toucan Partners and Narconon brought against the county over denying an expansion in an existing drug rehabilitation center.

Narconon is a drug rehabilitation program based on the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology, and is financially supported by Scientologists.

Also, the case is not yet finished.

A mediation over a potential appeal is scheduled for later this month, according to Cristi Charlow, the county's risk manager.

The fees the county owes will be paid by Travelers Insurance, the county's carrier.

Toucan Partners LLC, the owners of the Suncoast Rehabilitation Center on Cessna Drive in Spring Hill, sought to expand from 22 to 54 beds in 2009. Residents surrounding the 3-acre parcel argued that a drug rehab center was not compatible with their neighborhood.

The Planning and Zoning Commission approved the permit, but it was overturned several weeks later by the County Commission....

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/hernando-must-pay-in-discrimination-case-against-scientology-affiliated/2129454

related http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/04/04/56353.htm
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama