Author Topic: FISH! Everywhere!  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
FISH! Everywhere!
« on: March 29, 2012, 23:44 »
Okay, finally a few pictures of our fish. These are just a few of them many we have just some were being a little less photogenic than others.

Here is a picture of one of our male bettas shortly after we got him home. He was really pale and almost a lavender color from the stress of the store. :-(

Here he is now after relaxing a bit with his new heater and lots and lots of frozen bugs and such. :-)

This is what is called a plakat betta. They are betta fish bred to resemble their wild cousins. This is a female that we acquired through craigslist as a bit of a surprise addition to a tank we were buying. She's the most insane fish I have ever met. She will poke her head out of the water for food and eat bugs that come within reach. Her previous owner said she had killed four or so male bettas during his attempts to breed her so for know she will be on her own. lol

And finally our unnamed male. He was in a cup listed as a delta tail at Petco but he appears to be what is actually known as an elephant ear or dumbo ear betta. They are fairly expensive fish going for $40-$60 usually but he apparently ended up tossed in the wrong cup at the pet store and ended up in our care for a mere $7.99 :-)

And now for the not betta pictures.

Here's one of our 'surprise' baby platy. I don't know which female he has come from but he is starting to lighten into a bright orange color so I am thinking he is going to end up as a orange wag but it is still too early to tell. He is becoming more brave every day now that he is getting bigger.

And a pair of our young panda platys.

There are many others as well but they were being less photogenic today. Perhaps some other time. :-)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: FISH! Everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 21:46 »
Here he is now after relaxing a bit with his new heater and lots and lots of frozen bugs and such. :-)

He looks much better now that he's de-stressed.  He's a pretty color.

This is what is called a plakat betta. They are betta fish bred to resemble their wild cousins. This is a female that we acquired through craigslist as a bit of a surprise addition to a tank we were buying. She's the most insane fish I have ever met. She will poke her head out of the water for food and eat bugs that come within reach. Her previous owner said she had killed four or so male bettas during his attempts to breed her so for know she will be on her own. lol

That sounds like someone I know once thought I knew.   >:D

And finally our unnamed male. He was in a cup listed as a delta tail at Petco but he appears to be what is actually known as an elephant ear or dumbo ear betta. They are fairly expensive fish going for $40-$60 usually but he apparently ended up tossed in the wrong cup at the pet store and ended up in our care for a mere $7.99 :-)

I never saw one of those before. 

And now for the not betta pictures.

Here's one of our 'surprise' baby platy. I don't know which female he has come from but he is starting to lighten into a bright orange color so I am thinking he is going to end up as a orange wag but it is still too early to tell. He is becoming more brave every day now that he is getting bigger.

Awww.  He's so cute.

And a pair of our young panda platys.

That one on the right looks like it might already be pregnant.

There are many others as well but they were being less photogenic today. Perhaps some other time. :-)

I'll wait with baited breath.   :)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 22:02 »
They sure are pretty!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 22:53 »
He looks much better now that he's de-stressed.  He's a pretty color.

Doesn't he? It's amazing really. I didn't even notice till one day we were like 'hm he looks darker than I remember...' so I pulled up the old pictures of him and low and behold he was MUCH darker. lol

That sounds like someone I know once thought I knew.   >:D

8-^*

I never saw one of those before.

I have never seen one in person at the store before so I knew we had to have him. He is settling in well too. He is confused by the snail in his tank but they seem to be getting along and he is happily eating as much food as he can guilt out of us. lol

That one on the right looks like it might already be pregnant.

With this type of fish the general rule is that if they have ever been around a male then the are probably pregnant. lol The male in their tank seems to not be showing much interest in them for now but who knows what he doesn't after we go to bed.  ::)