Author Topic: Unlicensed Treatment Charges: Narconons in California Are doing the same thing  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Unlicensed Treatment Charges:  Narconons in California Are doing the same thing and they need to be closed down, too:

State orders controversial rehab company to stop treatment 

Morningside Recovery accused of unlicensed treatment

Published: May 3, 2012 Updated: May 8, 2012 4:34 p.m.
 By JAIMEE LYNN FLETCHER / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

State regulators have accused a controversial alcohol and drug abuse recovery company of illegally operating eight sober living homes as drug and alcohol treatment facilities and advertising such services even though its licenses have been suspended.

The California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs sent cease and desist letters to Morningside Recovery on April 23 demanding they stop providing substance abuse recovery services at six facilities in Newport Beach and two in Costa Mesa or face fines of $200 per day per home.

Morningside Recovery has offices in the Lido Marina area, a popular area for drug rehab home businesses.  The agency in November had suspended Morningside's licenses to operate three Costa Mesa drug treatment and recovery centers and set a permanent revocation hearing for this month. Among the charges levied by the state at that time was that Morningside was operating outside the scope of its licenses, had been careless with prescription drugs and was illegally using its sober living homes, which do not normally need a license, as drug treatment facilities.

The Orange County Register reported in February that the company appeared to be continuing its drug rehab services despite the suspension of the licenses. At that time Morningside Chief Executive Officer Mary Helen Beatificato denied any wrongdoing and told the Register, "If we weren't supposed to be operating, somebody would be doing something about it."

After that story, regulators performed additional site visits and investigations, determining that the eight sober living homes "were operating as alcoholism or drug abuse recovery or treatment facilities without licenses in violation of ...the Health and Safety Code,'' according to Suzi Rupp, a spokesperson for the agency. The cease and desist orders were sent by certified mail on April 23, according to the documents.

Beatificato denied in an interview Thursday that the company is providing any substance abuse recovery treatment at the sober living homes and said the company does not plan to change the way it operates.
"We are absolutely not providing treatment in our homes and I'm confident in saying that," Beatificato said.
Rupp said state investigators also found that Morningside had failed to report a patient death to the state. "It was determined that Morningside Recovery had admitted a client with an eating disorder, thereby operating beyond the scope of its license," Rupp told The Register. "Also, a client died while receiving services from Morningside Recovery. The department was not notified of the death, in violation of (their) reporting requirements."

Beatificato countered, saying this didn't happen at Morningside. "We have never had a death in any of our facilities," she said. "No death has happened here that we needed to report."

Last year Morningside had 11 facilities in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa, three of which were licensed by the state to provide rehabilitation services. The other eight operate as sober living homes, which do not need a license under state law.

The suspension order said the treatment facilities were required to stop services and transfer its patients pending a hearing May 21-23 to revoke Morningside's licenses.
"We are obviously fighting the suspension hearing," Beatificato said. "We don't believe our licenses should be permanently revoked ... but even if we get them back, we have no intent on using them again to provide detox services."

Beatificato added that all of the Newport Beach and Costa Mesa facilities are extended-care residences for patients but any type of treatment related to drug abuse or alcoholism happens at the company's clinical building in Costa Mesa.

Morningside has been at the crux of a contentious legal battle with Newport Beach officials who say the company has defied zoning rules and regulations. The company has also been sued by at least 10 patients or their families, most of the lawsuits stemming from various financial grievances.
The family of 20-year-old Brandon Jacques sued the company on March 29, alleging Morningside is partly responsible for their son's death.

Jacques was admitted to Morningside in March 2011 with bulimia and co-occurring alcoholism. His parents say the company's staff was aware his primary problem was bulimia but their son was not treated appropriately, according to the lawsuit.

He had been transferred from an Arizona sober living home to Morningside, the lawsuit said.
Complications of his eating disorder prompted Morningside staff to transfer Jacques to First House, a Costa Mesa rehab clinic. He died several days later of cardiac arrest, according to the lawsuit.
Other lawsuits accuse Morningside of charging for services never provided to the patients, failing to refund the money and other fraudulent practices.

Court records show Morningside settled in many of the cases and is still in litigation with the Jacques family.
Contact the writer: 714-796-7953 or jfletcher@ocregister.com
http://www.ocregister.com/news/morningside-352506-company-facilities.html
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 Are these facilities Narconon?

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Are these facilities Narconon?

No. Did you read the article and my comment?
Unlicensed Treatment Charges:  Narconons in California Are doing the same thing and they need to be closed down, too:

Here is my comment at the link to the article

Mary McConnell

Narconon in Southern and Northern California are doing the same thing as Morningside.Narconon did this in the state of Georgia and a 'resident' died. They just got caught doing it again. Hopefully they will be shut down soon but California ADP knows these places are in existence. They just never make the resources available to investigate the complaints.

Do we have to have someone die before ADP sends investigators out to really investigate these places? This scam was found to be the case in Newport Beach and one of the main factors in Narconon Newport Beach not getting the new law use permit approved, but that was only after years of persistence on the part of the community and others, including former patients, complaining.

Why isn't ADP investigating the places that are known to run homes and provide treatment in full o...r part at other locations - driving them around and back in differing shifts, telling courts that the patients are in licensed residential rehab programs when they aren't?

Sober Living places are appropriate for those already through a recovery program. It's a place to gain help while gaining a foothold back into society. Not all are good but many are and have nothing to do with this scam of running rehabs without a license. This scam is rampant in the state of California because the state has turned the other cheek time and time again until now because someone had to die to get them to act. It's time they did their job to make sure these places are not lying to courts about their licenses and taking in paying public, lying to them, pretending to be providing licensed care when they are operating above capacity above using rental homes as a substitute.

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Judge denies temporary shutdown request of rehab homes [corrected]

Morningside Recovery CEO says her company is getting 'a fair shake.' State is still moving forward with a permanent injunction.
August 16, 2012|By Britney Barnes

An Orange County Superior Court judge denied a request Thursday to temporarily shut down Morningside Recovery facilities in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach.

An Orange County Superior Court judge denied a request Thursday to temporarily shut down an alcohol and drug rehabilitation company that operates recovery homes in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa.

A hearing to permanently bar Morningside Recovery from providing treatment at its seven unlicensed homes is expected to take place in October.

FOR THE RECORD:
This story has been edited to correct what the October hearing is for.

Judge William Monroe rejected the filing by the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, or ADP, for a temporary restraining order against two Costa Mesa and five Newport Beach Morningside group home facilities. The judge also denied a request to prevent the company from taking on new clients.

"I'm really happy with [the decision]," said Morningside Chief Executive Mary Helen Beatificato. "Really, the decision is giving Morningside a fair shake and looking at the law."

The ADP went to court to temporarily stop Morningside until the hearing on permanently stopping the company from providing services at its seven unlicensed homes could go forward, said ADP spokeswoman Suzi Rupp.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2012-08-16/news/tn-dpt-0817-morningside-20120816_1_beatificato-morningside-recovery-ceo-suzi-rupp

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Oh my! I think this is where Lindsay Lohan went before transferring to Betty Ford.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/03/wheres-lindsay-lohan/2131963/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
yes, it is, mefree!  The reporter who originally alerted me to story on Morningside emailed me yesterday about Lohan coming and quickly going from there, thinking I would get a kick out of it since it's still unlicensed. ;D