Author Topic: Dekalb Drug Court (was Re: Narconon letter brings practice of commissions for patients into open)  (Read 5715 times)

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Job Posting

DeKalb County Drug Court
LPC, LMSW/LCSW, CAC
Position:  Primary Counselor-Full Time
Application Period:  7.2.12 to 7.18.12

Under general supervision, provides recovery-oriented psycho educational
skills-building groups for adults diagnosed with substance dependence.
Manage a caseload, provide individual and group therapy, create and manage individual
treatment plans for caseload.  Documents all daily contacts and completes individuals’
progress summaries.  Must have basic PC competency, and will be required to utilize
electronic medical records in lieu of paper charts on a daily basis.
Must have knowledge in addiction education and 12 step philosophy.

DeKalb County Drug Court provides comprehensive addiction treatment services for court
involved men and women in DeKalb County Georgia.

Requirements: Master’s Degree in Social Work or Professional Counseling,
or a closely related field OR CAC with two years work experience in social service delivery.
Applicants experienced with offender population and/or drug court model preferred.

All New Hires are subjected to mandatory drug testing and criminal history/background check.
Please e-mail your resume to afcummings@co.dekalb.ga.us.

Clinical Coordinator Position
This position includes the following responsibilities:
Providing individual and group therapy including process and educational
skill building groups including Addiction Education, Relapse Prevention, Corrective Thinking
based on cognitive behavioral curriculum, and Moral Reconation Therapy groups.

Hours WILL require one to two evenings per week.

Managing a caseload; providing individual therapy, create and manage individual treatment plans,
coordinating with Case Management.

Complete documentation on all individual sessions, group sessions, court documents and
maintaining and rating monthly individual treatment plans.

Coordinate with Case Manager to ensure employment, payment maintenance, stable living,
education, and mental health supervision.

Provide direct supervision for primary counselors and office managers including weekly
staff meetings and monthly individual supervision sessions.  Coordinating responsibilities for
all staff and ensuring all individual duties are complete.

Attend staff meetings to coordinate with staff members about Drug Court participants,
attend court weekly to collaborate with staff on each participant.

Coordinate events such as Graduation, Family Night, monthly group participant outings,
Program Mentor assignments, and Social Recovery Initiative activities

Complete intake assessments on all possible Drug Court participants including LSI, TCU SA II and
Correctional Mental Health Screen.

Assist with all program management including policy, program schedule coordination,
database issues, curriculum, and participant issues.

I am having some trouble understanding who exactly the Dekalb County Drug Court  people are. They claim at http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/superior/drug_program_description.html that
The DCDC receives an annual evaluation from the Georgia State University, Department of Criminal Justice, and maintains an unprecedented level of transparency and accountability; dealing in hard, independently verified data.  The data are clear, the DCDC is DeKalb’s best and only proven method for engaging non-violent, drug addicted offenders in treatment and curbing recidivism.

But I'll be darned if I can find this review in the Ga State publication Criminal Justice Review
http://cjr.sagepub.com/

or any info on the rehab facilities they use. Do any of you know how they operate?

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
[..]
I am having some trouble understanding who exactly the Dekalb County Drug Court  people are. They claim at http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/superior/drug_program_description.html that

The DCDC receives an annual evaluation from the Georgia State University, Department of Criminal Justice, and maintains an unprecedented level of transparency and accountability; dealing in hard, independently verified data.  The data are clear, the DCDC is DeKalb’s best and only proven method for engaging non-violent, drug addicted offenders in treatment and curbing recidivism.

But I'll be darned if I can find this review in the Ga State publication Criminal Justice Review
http://cjr.sagepub.com/

or any info on the rehab facilities they use. Do any of you know how they operate?

Hi snippy

This is an excellent topic to discuss! I don't believe that Narconon of GA has it's fingers in too deep in the drug courts in GA but we won't know until it's verified so, good idea to look into this.

If they do, I wonder if they falsify the letterhead to show they are  residential program like they did in Florida and in Tennessee  \--O--/

Anyway, I found some other info, nothing of great import, but one showing details of which programs are used but Narconon of Georgia was recently an exhibitor at an annual conference :

2012 Accountability Courts Conference
www.georgiacourts.gov/gac
Raising the Bar
June 25 - 27, 2012
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia
Exhibiter Narconon of Georgia
http://w2.georgiacourts.org/gac/files/2012%20Acct%20Courts%20Conference%20Program%20FINAL.pdf

Also found some other links / info
Georgia Drug and DUI Courts Directory ( last update 2009 )
http://georgiacourts.org/courts/accountability/AccountabilityCourtsDirectoryforWebsite.pdf

ACJ Opinion 8:22 p.m. Monday, April 11, 2011  :
Decrease Increase Pro & Con: Drug courts an effective alternative for offenders?
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/pro-con-drug-courts-906087.html

THE REBOUND PROGRAM
DEKALB COUNTY (GA) JUVENILE DRUG COURT
A SUMMATIVE EVALUATION 2004-2011
http://www.team-moe.com/pdfs_socialmkti_dissim/2011_Dekalb%20County%20Rebound%20Program_Summative%20Evaluation-2004-11.pdf

Apparently there are two separate programs:

DeKalb County Juvenile Court – The purpose of the Juvenile Court is to redirect children who have committed criminal offenses to become law abiding, productive citizens of DeKalb County. The courthouse is located at:

Gregory A. Adams Juvenile Justice Center
4309 Memorial Drive
Decatur, Georgia 30032
Phone: (404) 294-2700

DeKalb County Drug Court – provides information regarding the judicially supervised drug treatment/alternative sentencing program offered in DeKalb County. The program serves non-violent, felony-level offenders whose criminal behavior is the result of a drug addiction. The program’s office is located at:

556 N. McDonough Street
4th Floor
Decatur, Georgia 30030

BTW, this is such a good post and subject that I think it deserves a thread of it's own. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to PM the moderator and ask that it and the responses to it be moved into a thread of it's own. Probably won't happen until tomorrow nite.

Mary

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
This site might be helpful: National Association of Drug Court Professionals

LOL, yes, they have their own professional association, but this site has some useful information on it.  For instance: Current State Drug Court Coordinators, if one wanted to reach a lot of people with some info...

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
So many great links! Thanks y'all.  It's very interesting to read these documents and take note of what they don't say, especially regarding the evaluation of various rehab treatment methods.

A couple of notes:

Hmmm ....

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 As many of us travel down this road I for one am finding that the whole rehab industry has some serious flaws when federal and state oversight is taken into consideration. The industry for all intents and purposes is self policed by private entities far more than any federal or state agencies. That self policing coupled with private interests granting accreditation leaves the doors wide open for those willing to abuse the system for personal gain.

Poor or lackluster state laws impede many a state agency from effecting any rational oversight and or enforcement. These state agencies are hamstrung legislatively and financially. Hence fewer eyes on a very serious public health matter.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
This thread is probably a good place to link to this post : http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg22860.html#msg22860

Mary Reiser, ED of Narconon of Georgia, in her deposition in the Desmond case, discussed a Judge in the Atlanta Municipal Courts who she said expressed interest in Narconon for offenders.  I dug up some info on him in the linked post.

This is how they (Narconon) do it, I think, through schmoozing.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Hi snippy! It would be great to see posted that list of programs both drug courts approved. I doubt Narconon of GA is on either of them but at least we'd know. We'd also know which programs they 'trust'. Have you contacted anyone yet about that?

Mary
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Something would be terribly amiss if the drug courts did actually refer anyone to Narconon, but I do not understand why there is absolutely NO mention of the role played by the treatment centers. It is absent.  This makes me nervous.

Your link to the talks presented at the 2012 Accountability Courts Conference
http://w2.georgiacourts.org/gac/files/2012%20Acct%20Courts%20Conference%20Program%20FINAL.pdf
is a great resource, I think.  I am inclined to look through this document for the speakers who have a medical background and are emphasizing "evidence-based" evaluations. They would be more likely to be our allies.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Something would be terribly amiss if the drug courts did actually refer anyone to Narconon, but I do not understand why there is absolutely NO mention of the role played by the treatment centers. It is absent.  This makes me nervous.

Your link to the talks presented at the 2012 Accountability Courts Conference
is a great resource, I think.  I am inclined to look through this document for the speakers who have a medical background and are emphasizing "evidence-based" evaluations. They would be more likely to be our allies.

I'm fairly certain this was mentioned in another thread, or two. Georgia Association of Recovery Residences (GARR) is a fairly new organization that may be able to provide some additional information or resources. Many of the recovery residences work closely with probation and the courts. http://www.garronline.org/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline California

• On the path to knowledge
Drug Courts, for both juveniles and adults, have proved to be very valuable in assisting people in recovery from addiction and from addiction-related offenses, across the nation.  Excellent data and judges now want to be assigned to these courts which was not true, except for the strong advocates of the drug courts, back in the day.

Everyone with a drug court in their county, or adjoining counties in rural or isolated communities, could educate themselves by going to a drug court and learning both how they work and how or if they make referrals to rehab programs.... this varies, state-by-state and county-by-county.