Author Topic: Narconon CEO: Facility pays recruiters to find patients - Tulsa World  (Read 3530 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Narconon CEO: Facility pays recruiters to find patients - Tulsa World
26 August 2012, 3:34 am

Narconon CEO: Facility pays recruiters to find patients

Tulsa World
By JARREL WADE World Staff Writer
Published: 8/26/2012  2:32 AM
Last Modified: 8/26/2012  7:31 AM

The CEO of Narconon Arrowhead told the Tulsa World last week the facility offers a "finder's fee" to find drug rehabilitation patients, which he said is a common practice among rehab facilities.

Narconon Arrowhead CEO Gary W. Smith said the facility pays finder's fees to about a dozen interventionists or "field representatives" on a regular basis.

"We're not the only program that does this," Smith said. "It's not an uncommon practice."

Drug addiction counselors and former students of Narconon also confirmed they make tens of thousands every year from finder's fees and more from interventions. All said a finder's fee has no bearing on where they recommend a drug addict go for rehab.

The facility is under investigation following three patient deaths there in less than a year.

An investigation of Narconon by the Tulsa World also found a network of more than 200 websites.

Several former Narconon students and families of students interviewed by the World said they contacted drug addiction counselors through various websites. The counselors then recommended the family look into Narconon for rehab.

Search the Internet for help with drug rehab, and there's a chance you'll find one of 235 websites owned and operated by Dena Goad of Bixby. Goad owns her own business involving 1-800 hotline numbers attached to her websites, she said.

Her 235 websites include OklahomaDrugRehabs.net, HeroinAddictionTreatments.net, MethRehab.org and AddictionTreatmentTexas.org, according to the sites' registration.

Goad, who said she was a former drug addict, graduated from Narconon before she started her business several years ago. She said it was the only rehabilitation that worked for her after about five attempts to get clean. Goad's family found Narconon through an Internet search, she said.

Goad and her husband, Christopher Clancy, do interventions for people around the nation, she said.

"My husband is a world-renowned interventionist," she said. "Most interventionists charge around 10 grand plus expenses" for an intervention.

Clancy charges between $500 and $750 usually, plus airfare if he flies, Goad said.

On top of the intervention fee, Goad earns a "finder's fee" from drug rehabs, usually 2 percent to 5 percent of whatever the patient eventually pays to the facility, she said.

"It's different for each facility," she said. "It's become a pretty well-known thing that they offer finder's fees."

According to Narconon's IRS filings as a nonprofit, the program paid $161,757 to Goad in 2008.

Goad said she recommends Narconon only if it's the right fit for the individual. About 50 people per month enter rehab through Goad's business, she said.

Fee practice
Michael Brose, executive director of the Mental Health Association in Tulsa, said offering a finder's fee is a questionable practice.

"We, as an advocacy program, find that unethical and inappropriate," Brose said.

Smith declined to be specific about the amount of finder's fees.

"It depends," he said. "I'll just leave it at that. It depends."

Smith said the rehab facility's own 800 hotline gets nearly 2,000 calls per week and can only accept 10 people at the most.

Asked why the organization needs to pay a finder's fee if it gets 2,000 calls a week, Smith said it's the facility's policy.

"That's the way we are set up, so I don't know what to tell you," he said. "Again, we're not the only one that does this. It doesn't violate any law."

The organization's 2008, 2009 and 2010 tax filings don't specify how much was spent on finder's fees but lists more than $4 million spent on salaries, other compensation and employee benefits in 2010.
more at: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120826_11_A1_ULNSai211204
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:24 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Interesting that the article has different info about finder's fees than that provided to us by Lucas Catton: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,11371.0.html

I'm more inclined to believe Luke.

This article also includes a quote from Gary Smith about Narconon's and Scientology's favorite demon:
The Narconon program has become a target of national criticism and virtual attacks by the online hacker-backed group Anonymous due to its deep ties to Scientology.

"When these guys are involved, things just get agitated," Smith said about Anonymous. "These guys have been involved since the beginning. I've got licensed counselors, and they've put in fictitious complaints against them."

That's right, Gary, blame Anonymous; that will make it all better - there's no need to take responsibility for your own actions.

There's a lot more in the article than what is quoted above, including a brief interview with Holly Conklin, an interventionist who sends people to Narconon:

A man who was granted anonymity by the World due to concerns about his current job said when he went through the Narconon program, they offered "field representative training" for graduates.

The training allows graduates to earn money by recruiting people to Narconon, he said.

The man said Conklin recruited him to the program after she was brought to do an intervention for his addiction at a cost of more than $3,000.

Conklin said her base rate is $2,000 to $2,500 per intervention, but she often does them for free for people who can't afford them.

The man asked Conklin about a program he had heard about in Sedona, Ariz., but Conklin said it wasn't good and pointed him toward Narconon, he said.

"She was pushing Narconon big time," he said. "She was a bounty hunter."
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
Some centers actually contract out with referral people like Dena and pay them less of a percentage (why she mentioned her lower rate with Arrowhead - because they supply her with people to talk to as well).  Dena has been the top person to reg/recruit/sell Narconon in its history - getting more people into the program than anyone, which includes her time on staff as well as a referral person.  As for the amount listed in the article she was paid in 2008, multiply that by at least 2, if not 3 to get how much she has makes off the entire network. 

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 Racketeering. Nothing more,nothing less!

Bunch of soulless, lost,deluded,greedy criminals. There are NO excuses and no more free passes. PERIOD.

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Narconon pays 'finder's fee' for rehab patients - NewsOK.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 13:00 »
Narconon pays 'finder's fee' for rehab patients - NewsOK.com
26 August 2012, 1:21 am

TULSA — The CEO of Narconon Arrowhead told the Tulsa World last week the facility offers a “finder’s fee” to find drug rehabilitation patients, which he said is a common practice among rehab facilities.

Narconon Arrowhead CEO Gary W. Smith said the facility pays finder’s fees to about a dozen interventionists or “field representatives” on a regular basis.

“We’re not the only program that does this,” Smith said. “It’s not an uncommon practice.”

Drug addiction counselors and former students of Narconon also confirmed they make tens of thousands every year from finder’s fees and more from interventions.

The facility is under investigation after three patient deaths there in less than a year.

An investigation of Narconon by the Tulsa World also found a network of more than 200 websites.

much more at http://newsok.com/narconon-pays-finders-fee-for-rehab-patients/article/3704321
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 16:33 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Re: Narconon pays 'finder's fee' for rehab patients - NewsOK.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54 »
“We’re not the only program that does this,” Smith said. “It’s not an uncommon practice.”

Sounds like a little kid caught doing something they shouldn't telling a parent, "But everybody else does it!"
BigBeard

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Threads merged.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
  "Bodies in the Shop"

as they say:
http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/10A28641/10A28641-2-2012-08-24-PlaintiffsResponseInOppositionToNarcononOfGeorgiasMotionToKeepCertainDocumentsFiledWithTheCourtUnderSeal.pdf

Just one tiny reason they wanted to keep the court documents under seal.

(If you only read one document, this is the one, imho)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:27 by snippy »

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Dena Goad is actually known as and operating as Dena Boman ( one of many names she's had since she's been married about 5 times)

Here she is on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/dena.boman

She was also previously married to one of the staff listed has having died at Narconon Arrowhead in this thread
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,11246.msg24870.html#msg24870

Dena is a scientologist.

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.