Author Topic: [Yahoo] Mr Bean fights for the right to insult people  (Read 1685 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
[Yahoo] Mr Bean fights for the right to insult people
« on: October 18, 2012, 13:00 »
Mr Bean fights for the right to insult people
18 October 2012, 7:42 am
 By Alex Gangitano

Rowan Atkinson has returned to the frontlines of free speech campaigns, with an attack on a public order offence which limits the public's ability to offend people.

The Mr Bean star spoke at a parliamentary reception on Tuesday calling on officials to alter section 5.1 of the 1986 Public Order Act, which outlaws insulting words and behaviour, which could cause "harassment, alarm or distress".

Atkinson said: "Criticism, ridicule, sarcasm, merely stating an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, can be interpreted as insult."

The campaign against the law follows the arrest of a Christian preacher, a critic of Scientology and a student making a joke, as police are accused of being over-zealous in their interpretation of the Act.

Atkinson’s concern is for “more vulnerable lower profile” people such as a 16-year old boy held for having a placard which said “Scientology is a dangerous cult” and gay rights advocates detained for protesting against Islamic fundamentalists.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/10/18/mr-bean-fights-for-the-right-to-insult-people
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 18:36 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: [Yahoo] Mr Bean fights for the right to insult people
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 16:52 »
Thank you Mr Bean!

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.