Author Topic: Daniel Austin, ATL Scn arrested by FBI-led Safe Child Task Force Aug 31  (Read 47075 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Appointed judge sets date for hearings of scrutinized FBI child sex cases - CatWalkChatt
June 11, 2013
by Adam Cook

A handful of criminal cases conducted by the FBI’s Northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force have been up in the air for the past few months following an internal investigation of the agent in charge.

But now the judge appointed to hear the cases has issued an order to proceed after months of limited dialogue with the district attorney’s office.

Cobb County senior superior court judge Grant Brantley was appointed to hear motions in the cases in early March after all four superior court judges with the Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit — which includes Catoosa, Walker, Dade and Chattooga counties — recused themselves from hearing any pre-trial motions in cases known as the Catoosa “Craigslist Cases” following a cloud of scrutiny surrounding the cases and task force leader Ken Hillman.

Since that time, Brantley has not heard back from prosecutors or Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit district attorney Herbert “Buzz” Franklin regarding how to proceed with the motions.

“Failing to hear from you, I will simply issue an order and proceed,” wrote Brantley to Franklin and defense attorneys in the cases.

Brantley has set a tentative date for Aug. 12 to hear the motions.....

....Dunn said he has asked for a bond hearing, but that local circuit judges Brian House, Jon “Bo” Wood, Kristina Cook Graham and Ralph Van Pelt Jr. cannot grant one following their recusal from hearing any motions in the cases.

Franklin did not return calls Monday seeking comment on the current standing of the cases, but has stated in recent interviews that he didn’t foresee recent revelations regarding Hillman affecting or “jeopardizing” any cases involving the charges filed by the task force.

more at http://www.walkermessenger.com/view/full_story/22867089/article-Appointed-judge-sets-date-for-hearings-of-scrutinized-FBI-child-sex-cases?instance=home_news_lead_story
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Thanks for the update!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
You're welcome. This is some crazy stuff. All four judges recuse themselves.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
I tend to think this is why:

published Tuesday, March 5th, 2013
FBI confirms investigation of Special Agent Ken Hillman
by Joy Lukachick
The FBI has confirmed it is looking into allegations involving Special Agent Ken Hillman, 10 days after revelations that the federal agent received special treatment from local law enforcement officers.

Since a Ringgold, Ga., police officer was fired in mid-February, several officers have acknowledged that Hillman used his badge to avoid arrest after being suspected of drinking and driving. In one case, according to an officer, Hillman drove away from an apparent wreck.

Several defense attorneys also are questioning how Hillman allowed a civilian to work on the Northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force that he leads and even to handcuff potential suspects. The civilian, the wife of businessman Emerson Russell, was spotted with Hillman late in the night last October when they were attempting to leave a nightspot in Ringgold but were stopped by police.

Until Monday the FBI had refused to comment on what's happening to Hillman. But in a prepared statement yesterday, agency spokesman Stephen Emmett said: "The FBI is aware of the allegations made against one of our special agents and we have launched an investigation into those allegations."

read on for more
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/mar/05/fbi-confirms-agent-probe/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline skydog

• Fly in the Ointment
This really is a mess. As much as I dislike child molesters, I have even less use for bad cops. Entrapment exists when a person not predisposed to committing a crime, is talked into it against his or her wishes. It is not a popular defense with jurors. It seems appropriate for the sitting judges to recuse themselves and have a new set of eyes look at these cases. My guess is that the "entrapment" issue will be left for the jury to decided; in other words, unless the police misconduct is far worse than appears, the court will not dismiss the charges.

I am sure that someone down in Georgia will educate the prosecutor that a scientologist is far superior to mere mortal men and that, as such, no person, could talk them into doing something that they really didn't want to do. Fortunately for Dan, the jury will be instructed on whether a "reasonable person" (not a supertheatan like him would be induced by the police misconduct.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Several defense attorneys also are questioning how Hillman allowed a civilian to work on the Northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force ...

They obviously have never seen To Catch a Predator. Texting and chatting like a child requires acting skills that this dedicated civilian group has. Police that work with them are generally impressed by their professionalism and this civilian task force helps overtaxed police departments apprehend an astounding number of predators.

I personally doubt there was any entrapment. There is nothing to be gained from that. The cases won't hold up in court so police are very careful follow the rules on that.  Austin drove miles to meet up with a child for sex and behaved in a very typical manner. 

It doesn't surprise me that judges recused themselves and allegations have been made against the arresting officer. This is right out of Scientology's playbook. The allegations are a diversion of his Scientologist defense team relating to drinking and driving. It is possible his fellow officers cut him too much slack, but ultimately, it has only a little to do with his credibility. Oh but the police officer was seen leaving a bar with the civilian he was working with. SO WHAT! 

This article is yellow journalism with all it's innuendos about the police. The way it is written, she might as well have authored one of Scientology's dead agent web pages. I would like to know exactly who made these allegations.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
They obviously have never seen To Catch a Predator. Texting and chatting like a child requires acting skills that this dedicated civilian group has. Police that work with them are generally impressed by their professionalism and this civilian task force helps overtaxed police departments apprehend an astounding number of predators.

I personally doubt there was any entrapment. There is nothing to be gained from that. The cases won't hold up in court so police are very careful follow the rules on that.  Austin drove miles to meet up with a child for sex and behaved in a very typical manner. 

It doesn't surprise me that judges recused themselves and allegations have been made against the arresting officer. This is right out of Scientology's playbook. The allegations are a diversion of his Scientologist defense team relating to drinking and driving. It is possible his fellow officers cut him too much slack, but ultimately, it has only a little to do with his credibility. Oh but the police officer was seen leaving a bar with the civilian he was working with. SO WHAT! 

This article is yellow journalism with all it's innuendos about the police. The way it is written, she might as well have authored one of Scientology's dead agent web pages. I would like to know exactly who made these allegations.

I had some of the same thoughts, snippy. I certainly couldn't help but wonder if scientology played a part in the allegations against Hillman. Good to hear from you.
-Dalai Lama

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 Daniel Austin's actions speak volumes. In my opinion he is a predator. A jury of his peers will decide his innocence or guilt. This is not going away. Daniel Austin will stand trial.

Offline skydog

• Fly in the Ointment
I doubt this issue was discovered by scientology. There are a number of "sting" cases pending in this court and this motion seems to have been started by McCracken Posten a reputed criminal lawyer in Georgia. Matt Hines, may have now filed something on this issue but he was not the point man. Personally, I can't see the church wasting a lot of time or money on Dan Austin. He has only been a loyal member for thirty plus years and has given most of his time and disposable income to church sponsored insanity during that time. But he is not super wealthy so why would any of the top management care that he is now in trouble?

Matt Hines is a good little clam and will throw Dan under the bus if he can do so without creating a "flap for Flag". After thirty plus years of being anally probed by the church, prison should be a piece of caek for Dan.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:08 by skydog »

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Thanks, skydog.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
This really is a mess. As much as I dislike child molesters, I have even less use for bad cops. Entrapment exists when a person not predisposed to committing a crime, is talked into it against his or her wishes. It is not a popular defense with jurors. It seems appropriate for the sitting judges to recuse themselves and have a new set of eyes look at these cases. My guess is that the "entrapment" issue will be left for the jury to decided; in other words, unless the police misconduct is far worse than appears, the court will not dismiss the charges.

I am sure that someone down in Georgia will educate the prosecutor that a scientologist is far superior to mere mortal men and that, as such, no person, could talk them into doing something that they really didn't want to do. Fortunately for Dan, the jury will be instructed on whether a "reasonable person" (not a supertheatan like him would be induced by the police misconduct.

Most people who are not predisposed to child molestation would run about as far as they could if someone tried to talk them into it, since it's so abhorrent.  Plus, most people have to know these kinds of "internet stings" are commonly used, unless they've been living under a rock and never watching the news.  Oh, yeah, that's right, according to Hubbard, the news is run by the "merchants of chaos" and something to be avoided.  In trying to keep members in the dark about bad PR about scientololgy. Hubbard managed to keep them in the dark about other things that can affect them.

I doubt this issue was discovered by scientology. There are a number of "sting" cases pending in this court and this motion seems to have been started by McCracken Posten a reputed criminal lawyer in Georgia. Matt Hines, may have now filed something on this issue but he was not the point man. Personally, I can't see the church wasting a lot of time or money on Dan Austin. He has only been a loyal member for thirty plus years and has given most of his time and disposable income to church sponsored insanity during that time. But he is not super wealthy so why would any of the top management care that he is now in trouble?

Matt Hines is a good little clam and will throw Dan under the bus if he can do so without creating a "flap for Flag".

What a dilemma!  Be a good ethical lawyer and fight for your client, even if he's guilty - or avoid a flap for Flag.  Oh, wait, I don't guess that's much of a dilemma for Hines, considering the other stuff he's been involved in, even though he seems to have skated on those charges.

After thirty plus years of being anally probed by the church, prison should be a piece of caek for Dan.

Ouch.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Sorry to take so long to post this. Here is his facebook page (with 182 friends) the morning after he was released on bond. He sat in jail from August 31 to Oct 21, 2012. Now the detective is under attack.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/161148823/Daniel-Austin-Facebook-Friends-2012-OCT-22

Lot's of familiar faces. A few were lost at the page breaks.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Some updates:

Former FBI task force head faces criminal probe - Rome News-Tribune
By Jett Tyler
August 12, 2013
A North Georgia judge revealed this morning that FBI Special Agent Ken Hillman, former head of the Northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force, faces a criminal investigation in connection with that operation.

Judge Grant Brantley also agreed this morning in Walker County Superior Court to push court hearings in 10 child sex sting cases brought by the task force back six months during that investigation.

more at http://romenews-tribune.com/view/full_story/23349522/article-Former-FBI-task-force-head-faces-criminal-probe?

Investigation delays northwest Georgia task force cases -catwalkchatt.com

By Adam Cook
August 14, 2013
A superior court judge this week delayed cases by a local task force because its former leader is under investigation.

The investigation, which took center stage during a hearing in Walker County Superior Court Monday, Aug. 12, has prompted a special-appointed judge to delay 10 cases by the FBI’s Northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force, which serves Walker and Catoosa counties.

The cases in question, most of which took place last year, began to fall under scrutiny in February when it was learned that special agent-in-charge Ken Hillman allegedly let his civilian girlfriend participate in undercover stings.

Cobb County senior superior court judge Grant Brantley was appointed to hear motions in the cases in early March after all four superior court judges with the Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit — which includes Catoosa, Walker, Dade and Chattooga counties — recused themselves from hearing any pre-trial motions in cases known as the Catoosa “Craigslist Cases.”

The investigation into Hillman was launched after it was learned that the special agent allegedly abused his power over the course of two years by influencing local officers to look the other way during instances where he was pulled over on suspicion of drinking and driving.

more at http://catwalkchatt.com/view/full_story/23365601/article-Investigation-delays-northwest-Georgia-task-force-cases?
-Dalai Lama

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
after it was learned that ...

Stinks like you know what.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
What does getting pinched for drunk driving have to do with what happens to a bunch of sicko's?

BigBeard

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Yeah, Daniel Austin shouldn't get a pass because an agent was crooked, but the evidence should be scrutinized, too.

Snippy, does he still have the same number of friends, or have a bunch of them dropped him now?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
His friends dwindled rapidly and now his facebook page is no more.
Like this - poof  :mwoo(

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
His friends dwindled rapidly and now his facebook page is no more.
Like this - poof  :mwoo(

3((:
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Detective: FBI should not have disbanded sex crimes task force - America Now
CBS News Atlanta
Posted: Sep 10, 2013 2:55 PM EDT Updated: Oct 18, 2013 10:21 AM EDT
By Jeff Chirico

RINGGOLD, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

City of Rossville police detective Dave Scroggins told CBS Atlanta reporter Jeff Chirico that he does not think the FBI should have disbanded a sex crimes task force currently the subject of an internal investigation.

"Did [Ken Hillman] do some things I probably would not have done that? Yeah. Probably so," said Scroggins.

Ken Hillman, an FBI special agent who operated the northwest Georgia Crimes Against Children Task Force, is under investigation for alleged misconduct, according to a bureau representative.

CBS Atlanta News has learned that Hillman is accused of abusing his authority and allowing civilians to participate in sting operations.

Scroggins said the task force was incredibly successful and should have remained active while the FBI investigates. Without the task force, Scroggins said he fears for the safety of children.

"We aren't arresting anyone in this area right now for these crimes," said Scroggins.

Scroggins said defense attorney McCracken Poston stood to gain by reporting the allegations of Hillman's misconduct to the FBI.   Poston represents several suspects arrested by the task force...

more including video at http://www.americanownews.com/story/23394028/fbi-agent-who-led-sex-crimes-task-force-under-investigation
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Buzz Franklin, district attorney for the Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit, would not comment on the FBI investigation but said he does not believe the allegations will impact pending cases brought by the task force. 

Well, that's good to hear!
   Narconon Reviews