Linked Events

• Narconon of Georgia Raided: April 26, 2013

Author Topic: Narconon of Georgia Raided by District Attorney and Insurance Commissioner - Insurance Fraud  (Read 19064 times)

Offline cnhender

• Fly in the Ointment
  • its a wog world
    • FB Narconon Exposed
Yes indeed. These pics would come in very handy.
Respectfully,
CH

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Narconon of Georgia Under Investigation - Alcoholism - About.com - About - News & Issues
30 April 2013, 12:41 am
By Buddy T.

Narconon of Georgia, a alcohol and drug treatment facility associated with the Church of Scientology, is under investigation for massive insurance fraud. Officials from the Georgia Insurance Commissioner's office and law enforcement served a search warrant at the facility's Norcross offices last week.

Investigators hauled off boxes full of documents and more than a dozen computers, according to reports.

Investigators are looking for evidence of insurance fraud, according to WSB Radio reporter Pete Combs, who has been investigating accusations against the facility since a wrongful death lawsuit was filed against the center in connection with the death of patient.

'Never Saw the Doctor'

"We have credible information that indicates that insurance fraud is taking place with Narconon," Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens told Combs.

The current investigation was launched after a family of a 19-year-old former patient of the facility reported that their insurance company was being billed for her treatment after they had paid the $15,000 bill in full and in cash.

"They were billing for doctor visits - one amount was for $58,000.00. And she never even saw the doctor," said the girl's father.

more at http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2013/04/30/narconon-of-georgia-under-investigation.htm
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 22:13 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Are any Georgia Tippers able to go and get some current action (or lack thereof) shots of Narconon? It would be good to see how this raid has impacted them.

Maybe later in the week I can.  It's difficult for me to get over there on work days.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I split this part about the raid off from the other thread and added it to the calendar.  It's definitely a memorable event.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Just a funny I saw, with all else going on with Narconon of Georgia....

For the Tapped Out Faithful in Atlanta
WhatWall writes at ESMB:

Looks like Atlanta idle org fundraising is lowering the gradient ...

Did this bright idea originate from the recent  Southeastern US Ideal Org Alliance event at Flag?

Anonycat;
The first C-Note scam was 2006, as I recall - at least that was the first one I was aware of.

I love that graphic: come to the Org to call people, or don't come in and expect to be called and asked for $100 - fun! :P

Techless

Why don't they have "Bend-Over" Sunday's ??  Seems to me to be a more appropriate name as this actually made me puke a bit in my mouth upon seeing.

What a joke - think they'll all be chatting up a storm about Narcononsense?
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?31560-For-the-Tapped-Out-Faithful-in-Atlanta&p=802345#post802345
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Just a funny I saw, with all else going on with Narconon of Georgia....

For the Tapped Out Faithful in Atlanta
WhatWall writes at ESMB:

Looks like Atlanta idle org fundraising is lowering the gradient ...

Did this bright idea originate from the recent  Southeastern US Ideal Org Alliance event at Flag?

Anonycat;
The first C-Note scam was 2006, as I recall - at least that was the first one I was aware of.

I love that graphic: come to the Org to call people, or don't come in and expect to be called and asked for $100 - fun! :P

Techless

Why don't they have "Bend-Over" Sunday's ??  Seems to me to be a more appropriate name as this actually made me puke a bit in my mouth upon seeing.

What a joke - think they'll all be chatting up a storm about Narcononsense?
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?31560-For-the-Tapped-Out-Faithful-in-Atlanta&p=802345#post802345

Hmm. The casual reader that "Attempts" to read the material in above link will be scratching their heads and asking what on earth are these people talking about????

Mary,could you possibly translate the sci talk into something the general public can understand? I think it would be much appreciated.

Thank you. :D

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Anonycat at eESMB said it simply:

Scientologists get hit up for money all the time.. this time for the Ideal Org that they bought years ago and sits languishing because they need more money to fix it up...

So they play this game by having a Call In session - encouraging "public" as they call non staff member in the cult, to come in and help hit up their friends, family and whoever is on their mailing lists by phone for $100/each to help pay for the Ideal Org.

And for those who don't come in, they get called. 

What is known is that it's easier to pay the $100 by phone and not go there to help make the calls because in the end, everyone is going to get hit up for a C Note.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
What is known is that it's easier to pay the $100 by phone and not go there to help make the calls because in the end, everyone is going to get hit up for a C Note.

It's easier to just not go there, not answer the phone, and not pay the $100. 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
They should start taking up donations for bail money. 
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Karen De La Carriere
Der Spiegal is the biggest investigative journalism paper in Germany. Today, this NARCONON article was published
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/razzia-bei-scientology-klinik-narconon-a-898725.html

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Translated article from today's Der Spiegal article:

U.S. raid in southern states: Storming the Fortress Scientology
Mona Botros

Long as U.S. investigators of Scientology held remote - now there was a raid in a rehabilitation clinic that treated by abstruse ideas of the cult founder L. Ron Hubbard. Several people had died in a similar setting. Go before the authorities determined future?

It was the end of April, a Friday, when the investigators were advancing in the early morning before the rehab center in Norcross, a small town north of Atlanta. A raid is always surprising, but this was particularly unexpected. The last time that authorities in the United States faced a verbandelte Scientology means with a search warrant, is 36 years ago.

Investigators from the FBI in 1977 invaded Washington and Los Angeles offices of the sect because they were evidence of intelligence operations against the United States government. The then suspected: Scientology staffers had infiltrated federal agencies and stolen documents. As a result of the raid, eleven leaders of the organization for breaking into government buildings, were convicted of stealing documents and illegal wiretaps, including Mary Sue Hubbard, wife of the sect founder L. Ron Hubbard.

Since then, police seemed to keep away from Scientology, surround the organization as a shield against secular interventions. But for some time to identify officials Narconon Georgia, the clinic outside of Atlanta.

Withdrawal by the sauna

On 11 April 2008 was the 28-year-old Patrick Desmond died as a patient of this facility from an overdose of heroin. He graduated there a court ordered inpatient treatment. His parents mentioned him under constant supervision, and professional treatment, her lawyer formulated later in an indictment against Narconon.

Narconon is pursuing a - a note of caution - very own form of addiction: Patients must be more cures week sitting in the sauna for up to five hours a day, they take supplements and nicotinic acid in large amounts. And they are called students, not patients. Parallel to the therapy they undergo a kind of personal training.

The method is based on inspirations from L. Ron Hubbard. He advocated that drug residues deposited in the tissues of the addict. By Saunagänge the substances to be washed out of the body without drugs. With scientific knowledge has little to do.

The parents of Desmond sued after the sudden death of her son Narconon of Georgia and the Scientology-affiliated umbrella organization Narconon International. The legal dispute promoted questionable transactions revealed, including the fact that the clinic had acted as a stationary device, but actually could only treat outpatients.

In the civil suit against Narconon Desmond, the two parties settled out of court in February. But even after the agreement threatened the competent authorities, Narconon Georgia to withdraw its approval and launched a further investigation.

Journalists gave authorities evidence

In initiating these studies also had local media who had the procedure at the death of Patrick Desmond closely monitored. Three of the television station WSB-TV reporter, radio broadcasting, WSB Radio and the newspaper "Atlanta Journal-Constitution" had joined forces to investigate the investigative Causa Narconon.

More Affected turned to the media, told of drug abuse and lack of supervision at the facility. The reporter made the incidents known, put the authorities under pressure.

Here you witness was none other than Lucas Catton, the former president of the largest branch of Narconon - a remote clinic in the U.S. state of Oklahoma, known as Narconon Arrowhead.

Catton, 35, have the charges against Narconon not surprised. In his previous position at the top of Narconon Arrowhead, he has witnessed first hand the machinations of the organization. "Our main goal was to recruit members for Scientology and to earn money for the organization," says Catton. For a three-to six-month treatment patients would have paid $ 30,000.

Karin Pouw, spokesperson for Scientology, denied to SPIEGEL ONLINE that Narconon facilities in recruiting members or donations would be raised. The religion of the people who are going through the Narconon program does not matter, the number of those who were then members of Scientology, was very small.

At least it was at Catton clearly different: His parents had enrolled him as a 20-year-olds there to get an alcohol problem under control. Two years later they recruited him as an employee of Narconon. Shortly thereafter, he joined Scientology, supposedly from the addict became a cult member. Then his career took a steep upward. At 23 he was president of the institution.

Death by overdose

As such, he was responsible for prominent guests... "We have shown around frequently Scientology celebrities including Kelly Preston and Priscilla Presley, you should get a positive image of the program, Tom Cruise has even visited us several times also the head of Scientology, David Miscavige, has been looking in person. " Repeatedly make top Scientologists like Cruise in the public Narconon strong.

However, a series of deaths within nine months counteracted the PR campaign: Narconon Arrowhead got through it last year to the attention of investigators. One of the dead was the 20-year-old Stacy Murphy: You should have died of a heroin overdose in combination with alcohol. Apparently, no doctors were present, there was no medication to help her, reported a witness.

Catton, meanwhile, got out of Scientology, decided after the deaths to go public. In a book he has reported extensively about his experiences behind the walls of Arrowhead. His insider knowledge provide valuable information in the ongoing investigation.

For example, about connections between Narconon and the Office of Special Affairs (OSA), a type of Scientology intelligence. This link was noticed by the death of the young Patrick Desmond in Georgia in the process: An internal document showed that the head of the rehab than 24 hours after the unexpected death of her protégé, a report by mail deposed, but not to the government regulators, but to the OSA.

Scientology spokeswoman Pouw told SPIEGEL ONLINE, the clinic director was not required to report to the OSA. That they did it, but was understandable "considering the traumatic experience and the possibility that they sought pastoral support".

"A small crack in a seemingly impenetrable fortress"

If you ask Mike Rinder, a Scientology-dropout highest level, the work of the OSA sounds but little pastoral. For years he was head of the unit, conducted spies and agents of the organization worldwide. "OSA is switched on immediately whenever Scientology threatens negative headlines, no matter where in the world or in any organization that happens, even at Narconon."

The raid triggers cattle hope. "When I see what happened there, I wonder if other state agencies will follow suit," muses cattle. "With the raid in Atlanta, a small gap has opened up in a seemingly impenetrable fortress which for 30 years had inventory for Scientology." He looks not only like this: The news of the raid spread among critics of the organization on the net like wildfire.

In fact, the search for a drug clinic not only marks a possible turning point of the American authorities in dealing with Scientology, but also the media. This had been often touched the suit joyful sect with kid gloves. The local reporter from Atlanta who had reported on the death of Patrick Desmond, but could not loose.

Narconon has to allegations of

Encouraged by the report, the mother of a patient applied with their documents for questionable billing practices of Narconon to the TV journalist Jodie Fleischer. Narconon Georgia has repeatedly issued their health insurance bills. The family had already paid in full the treatment itself. Overall, the additional bills amounted therefore to 166,000 dollars. And for medical treatments that had never occurred to her statement and stay for hours in which the daughter had not been present, tells the mother.

DISPLAY
Narconon Georgia did not respond to a request by SPIEGEL ONLINE about the allegations and ties to Scientology. Previously, the organization had distributed a notice in which it was said that they knew of the investigation, but follow an industry standard and professional accounting. "The payment shall be explained to all students." In addition, the successful treated children and their families could testify "that the program leads to a life of abstinence and health".

The team of journalists was there to document the spectacular raid on the premises of Narconon Georgia. Loads of officials dragged documents from the administrative headquarters, about two dozen computer they hauled in a specially rented van.

It will show whether the material that lies dormant in the documents and hard drives, can support a charge of insurance fraud. According to the law of the State of Georgia only an individual can be prosecuted for this offense, not an organization. If the officials can break who issued that statement to whom, the noose of justice could also draw close to Narconon and Scientology.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Wow! We need a better translation. Thanks for posting!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Wow! We need a better translation. Thanks for posting!

I leave tht up to you, lol. FYI, I used google translate.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
An item related to sentencing for health insurance fraud in Georgia:

Georgia appeals court rejects light sentence for insurance fraud - Consumer Health Digest#13-18.
May 9, 2013
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit has ruled that a sentence given to a chiropractor who had pleaded guilty to health care fraud was too lenient. Records in the case indicate that over a 5-year period, Rick Kuhlman, D.C., who operates five clinics in Atlanta, Georgia and one in Nashville, Tennessee, collected $2,944,883 million from insurance companies for services not rendered. Kuhlman's plea agreement called for restitution, community service in which he lectured about health fraud, and a recommended sentence of 36 months months in prison. While awaiting sentencing, Kuhlman paid the restitution and carried out the community service. The lower court judge, noting that he had never seen anyone pay such a large restitution amount prior to sentencing, sentenced Kuhlman to probation for the time served during his pre-sentence release. However, the Appeals Court ruled:

Although the United States Sentencing Guidelines set forth a sentencing range of 57 to 71 months of imprisonment, Kuhlman was able to avoid a custodial sentence by simply paying the money back and performing community service, including speaking to medical and nursing students about the perils of health care fraud. . . .

When the government obtains a conviction in a health care fraud prosecution, one of the primary objectives of the sentence is to send a message to other health care providers that billing fraud is a serious crime that carries with it a correspondingly serious punishment. . . .

Kuhlman knowingly and methodically stole millions of dollars from insurance companies over a period of several years. The district court's sentence does not reflect the seriousness and extent of the crime, nor does it promote respect for the law, provide just punishment, or adequately deter other similarly inclined health care providers. We therefore find the sentence to be substantively unreasonable, and an abuse of the district court's discretion.

Kuhlman has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review the Appeals Court ruling.

Source: http://www.ncahf.org/digest13/13-18.html
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
-Dalai Lama

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Nice summary. Glad they are staying on it. Happy 4th y'all  :^:^:^:E

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Happy 5th, Snippy.   :) 

Wonder what July 17 will bring?  And what will happen between now and then?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
   Narconon Reviews