Linked Events

• "Stacy's Bill" Oklahoma law: May 07, 2013

Author Topic: "Stacy's Bill" aka Oklahoma Senate Bill 295 signed into law  (Read 3253 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Added to the calendar.

http://mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x508495295/Gov-Fallin-signs-bill-regulating-Narconon-Arrowhead-other-drug-rehabs

May 7, 2013
Gov. Fallin signs bill regulating Narconon Arrowhead

By Jeanne LeFlore Staff Writer

McALESTER — A bill giving the state oversight of Narconon Arrowhead and other drug rehabs according to legislation signed today by Gov. Mary Fallin.

Senate Bill 295 co-authored by a Senate Democrat Tom Ivester D- Sayer and House Republican Jason Murphey R-Guthrie was signed today at the Capitol after passing the Senate unopposed last week.

The legislation was written after an investigation into a string of deaths that happened within months of each other at Narconon Arrowhead.

Narconon Arrowhead is a non-profit drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in Canadian that uses the teachings of Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.The bill originally passed the Senate unopposed in February. Then in April the legislation passed the House Public Health Committee 9 to 1 with an amendment, the amended legislation went on to pass the House 80 to 13. The final Senate vote was Wednesday. It is now headed to Gov. Mary Fallins desk.

Last week Ivester said he wrote the bill because of the deaths at Narconon Arrowhead.

“It was the repeated deaths, that’s what did it for me,” Ivester said.

“That, and that nothing was being done legislatively about it.”

He said the legislation will force drug rehabs such as Narconon Arrowhead to be certified by the Oklahoma Department of Mental Heath and Substance Abuse, giving the state oversight over such facilities.

Narconon Arrowhead under a multi-agency investigation since the July death of Stacy Dawn Murphy, 20, of Owasso. Her father, Robert Murphy said he calls the bill Stacy's Bill in memory of his daughter. After Stacy Murphy was found dead at Narconon Arrowhead in July 21, the case was investigated by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the Pittsburg County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Mental Health.

The investigation expanded into the 2012 deaths of two others found dead at the facility. All three deaths occurred within months of each other.

In 2012, two months before Stacy Murphy was found dead, Hillary Holten, 21, was found dead in April, and Gabriel Graves, 32, was found dead at the facility in October of 2011.

Also under investigation was the 2009 death of Kaysie Dianne Werninck, 28.

Werninck died at a local hospital while a patient of Narconon Arrowhead.In April Narconon Arrowhead CEO Gary Smith issued a statement regarding the legislation.

“We have no problem with SB295."

However, we do not understand the amount of legislative attention that has been spent on (the bill) when you consider the number of critical issues facing Oklahomans that require legislative solutions,” Smith said in the statement.

Meanwhile SB295 is now law and will it take effect in November.

Contact Jeanne LeFlore at jleflore at mcalesternews.com.

A copy of the bill is here: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/SB/SB295%20ENR.PDF
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 19:42 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
 L-O-:

'bout time that woman acted.

Now Narconon of Oklahoma has 10 6 months to prepare for shutdown!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 20:41 by Mary_McConnell »
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
Nov 1st is 6 months away, I dont think they will last that long. 
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

-0=| please forgive me. It wasn't that I don't know how to add, it was just  I was told 4 months ago that they have only 10 months...  ::)
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

-0=| please forgive me. It wasn't that I don't know how to add, it was just  I was told 4 months ago that they have only 10 months...  ::)

Time flies when you're having fun, right Mary?   :D
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Time flies when you're having fun, right Mary?   :D
3((:

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
 ||||||||\\\\\\\:D

Whoohoo!
BigBeard

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Stacy's Law, named after Stacy Dawn Murphy, to provide more oversight for ... - kjrh.com
12 May 2013, 6:25 pm

Owasso, OKLA - Lawsuits against Narconon Arrowhead have alleged that drug treatment at the facility was performed with no training or education in the field of rehabilitation. Instead, according to suits filed against Narconon Arrowhead, staff members relied on the ...

....Stacy's Law requires the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services to create a set of rules for certification for organizations that treat people with drug and alcohol related substance abuse problems. It is intended to ensure that only certified facilities treat these issues and criminally punishes facilities that attempt rehabilitation without certification.

The law is named for Stacy Dawn Murphy, who died of an overdose while seeking treatment for addiction at Narconon Arrowhead in July 2012.

She was one of three patients to die at the Pittsburg County facility in a nine-month span.

Lawsuits against Narconon Arrowhead have alleged that drug treatment at the facility was performed with no training or education in the field of rehabilitation. Instead, according to suits filed against Narconon Arrowhead, staff members relied on the teachings of Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard to address alcohol and rehabilitation needs.

Stacy's father, Robert Murphy, calls the law named for his daughter the beginning of an effort to ensure that future families do not suffer the loss of a child like he has.

"Seeking justice for my daughter's death was one thing, but trying to fight for the safety and health of other people that have to endure this was also a challenge," he said.

The word challenge is an understatement for Murphy, who will commemorate the one-year anniversary of his daughter's death in about two months. He says the last year has been somewhat of a blur.

"A fog is basically the way to put it. You can't focus on anything. Every day is a challenge," Murphy said.

For months, Murphy says his focus was fighting what he calls the injustice surrounding Stacy's death. Now, however, he says he's re-channeled that energy into fighting for families that have children with substance abuse problems.

"Fighting for is a different mindset. It helps you not be so angry when you're working for something to help make a change and to protect other people."

Murphy is currently suing Narconon Arrowhead for wrongful death, negligence and violation of the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act. The suit is pending.

Read more: http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/Stacys-Law-named-after-Stacy-Dawn-Murphy-to-provide-more-oversight-for-Narconon-rehab-centers#ixzz2T8NeUKlY
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 22:05 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I'm so proud of these parents in Oklahoma. What a resilient and determined group of people they are! Mr. Murphy's comments are very touching.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama