Author Topic: Is Narconon’s Treatment Methodology Addiction Therapy or Scientology Doctrine?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
They lie. They twist the truth.

Care to dissect this article by a  Paul Onart  for of Narconon Arrowhead's site blog

Separating Fact from Fiction
Written by Paul Onart on October 16, 2012. Posted in Blog   

http://www. narcononarrowhead .org/separating-fact-from-fiction/

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
Id be happy to. ;D
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Id be happy to. ;D

;D  I found it and his other articles there after coming across one of his other articles called something like Cost of the Program... In response to that article people asked questions in their comments, esp about why the price of the program was not mentioned in the article. No one replied to these people's replies there.

I gather comments are open on all of them and that no one is monitoring them ;D
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
"I can relate EVERY part of the Narconon Program to Scientology Scriptures.  Oh yeah, I have.

Please read here to get the real data on whether this program is Scientology or not:

http://narcononreviews.net/resources/for-potential-clients/narconon-information/the-narconon-program/"

This is my comment with a link.  Its awaiting moderation.
ET went home.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
"By Erica D'Arcangelo

Eric
December 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm | #
Notice Erica and the other staff no longer advertise themselves as Certified Chemical Dependency Counselors or CADC’s

Here’s why:

http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/21/narconon-staff-certifications-in-jeopardy-after-new-whistleblower-comes-forward/

http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/07/narconon-ceo-gary-smith-loses-counselor-certification/

Your comment is awaiting moderation."

I posted this one in their "reviews section". 
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
I like how they said "what is the exact relationship between [the business] Narconon and the Church of Scientology"?

I would ask "what is the difference between the Narconon Program and their equivalents in the practice of Scientology?"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I love how they claim in lawsuits that each Narconon branch is independent of Narconon International (to try to protect the money), but when it comes time for publicity, the years of operation are based on Narconon as a whole:
The Narconon organization has been in operation consistently for over 46 years making it one of the oldest and longest running drug and alcohol rehabilitation organizations in the world.

Duplicitous.  And consistently, yes, consistently disregarding all that science has to say and believing the only valid "science" is that of L. Ron "I'm drinking lots of rum and popping pinks and grays" Hubbard.

Their facts don't add up, leaving a lot of question as to their evaluation of other things they proclaim as fact:
...in operation consistently for over 46 years...

vs.

... opened its doors 20 years ago.

Sheesh, and that's just in the first 8 lines!  Also, there were Narconons operating over 20 years ago (1993), but maybe they'd like to forget that history:

Connecticut in the 1970s, falsifying stats even back then (Thanks for speaking out, Pooks!)
Jocelyne Dorfmann's death in 1984, Narconon Center of Grangey-sur-Ource, Dijon, France
Pius Keel's death in 1990, Bavarian Schliersee, Fiechhauson, Germany
The Italian Narconon where Frederica Gardini contracted AIDs from a dirty needle sometime prior to 1990

and those are just the pre-1993 Narconons I can think of off the top of my head.

Narconon Arrowhead’s donated rehabilitation beds and drug education and prevention programs are funded by Narconon of Oklahoma, Inc. at no cost to the State of Oklahoma or its tax payers.

But those "fortunate" people will have to work their butts off during their rehab without pay, cleaning the facility and whatever other nasty chores the staff doesn't want to do and the organization is too cheap to hire someone to do.

Narconon of Oklahoma purchased the old Ramada Inn in McAlester and this year opened a new medical detoxification center there.

But that was shut down for not meeting the licensing requirements, wasn't it?  Or have they gotten the license back now and I missed it?

Narconon of Oklahoma, Inc. generates over $11 million in gross revenue annually, most of this income comes from out of state and into the Oklahoma economy.

Then they should have plenty of money to pay out the damages in the 4 or 5 wrongful death lawsuits against them.

Narconon is not a religious program...

I'd have to agree with that, because scientology is not a religion.

... nor is it corporately part of the Church of Scientology.

Weasel word alert.

Narconon’s treatment methodology aligns with a recognized evidence based treatment approach known as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for Substance Dependence

"Aligns with" does not mean the same thing as "is", or "consists of", or even "is modeled on".  I align with a tree when I stand next to one, but that doesn't mean I am a tree, or that I have the same qualities as the tree. 

The rest of the paragraph is just them trying to associate themselves with something they have no relation and bear no resemblance to.  I'll just leave this here:
http://www.appealtoauthority.info/

Look, this graduate signed with his opinion instead of his name:
Here is what some graduates had to say:

“After working for the Narconon drug rehab program for five years I left to begin to build a new life for myself.  ....   I truly could not have accomplished everything I have without the support and dedication of the Narconon staff and for that I am forever grateful.” B.S.

"I can relate EVERY part of the Narconon Program to Scientology Scriptures.  Oh yeah, I have.

Please read here to get the real data on whether this program is Scientology or not:

http://narcononreviews.net/resources/for-potential-clients/narconon-information/the-narconon-program/"

LOL!  Thanks again for writing that - it's getting a lot of use.

This is my comment with a link.  Its awaiting moderation.

It's probably gonna wait forever, but maybe the person vetting the comments will think about it.   We can hope.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
To say their program aligns with CBT is wrong on so many levels.  There is not one person in that facility that is trained/certified in CBT.  If they are, show me! Then show me they incorporate that methodology into the program.  Do they supersede the CS and Snr CS?  I think not.

Im glad I could contribute to Narcononreviews.net. I re-read the section last night and I must say, the info exposes the truth so that anyone reading will have no doubt if Narconon is Scn or not.  Thanks for letting me contribute and helping with the section. 

ET went home.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
To say their program aligns with CBT is wrong on so many levels.  There is not one person in that facility that is trained/certified in CBT.  If they are, show me! Then show me they incorporate that methodology into the program.  Do they supersede the CS and Snr CS?  I think not.

Im glad I could contribute to Narcononreviews.net. I re-read the section last night and I must say, the info exposes the truth so that anyone reading will have no doubt if Narconon is Scn or not.  Thanks for letting me contribute and helping with the section.

I know your contributions are appreciated!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
There is more to come ;)
ET went home.

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
Narconon has been hijacking buzzwords for a long time.

For awhile, they used the word "holistic" and many people who expected yoga, meditation, and eastern philosophy showed up, expecting something different.

Then they started pushing "counseling" and many people bought into it, expecting hours of therapy with a therapist.

Now, they are selling "cognitive behavioral therapy" although their processes resemble little to actual cognitive behavioral therapy.

Even arrowhead has promoted "bible studies" although a real Christian would never look at scientology as Christian friendly.

It's like they scan the web and try and find out what people are interested in for treatment and recovery. Then they just say that they are what people are looking for, even though they don't actually have most of these things in any recognizable form.

What's sad is that other programs do actually introduce these new therapies in their programs, but they actually have them there.  Narconon makes zero changes to their program but just says they have them there.

Whether it's hiding the scientology or promoting things they don't have, Narconon is always seeming to project an illusion to anyone needing help that they are something that they aren't.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Yes, source. Even the term 'group therapy' is used in program schedules in CA, as if they provide this when we know they don't. I have to upload some docs I have regarding this baloney. So much to do..

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
Erica didnt like my comments, so I sent her another one directing her to the news.  I also submitted a question on their get help now form asking if they have any licensed or certified counselors there.  There doesnt seem to be any mention of them of their website >:D
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
^^^^

LOL!

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
The running "joke" at Arrowhead was to tell clients that they had a pool.  When they arrived they would see that there was indeed a pool, but it was shut down and filled with algae. 

The "joke" at SoCal was to tell people they had horses.  They did have one lonely horse, but you couldn't ride it.

The "joke" in Michigan was that they had a pool.  When the student arrived staff would say "Pool?  No, I told you it was a pool TABLE"

The "joke" at NorCal was hiking.

The "joke" at Florida was the ocean and surfing, etc.

Say anything to get someone in.  Later laugh about it and collect your paycheck.

Ha ha.