Author Topic: 5395 Roswell Rd. has issues (slow loading, images)  (Read 2627 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
5395 Roswell Rd. has issues (slow loading, images)
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:51 »
These maintenance issues and the resulting damage will be expensive to fix, and to my untrained eye, indicate possible similar conditions inside the building.

The only truth in advertising I've ever seen from scientology:

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Re: 5395 Roswell Rd. has issues (slow loading, images)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 21:31 »
OK, I'll start with the bad news:  The window pane dividers won't necessarily be so expensive to repair.  However, they would not be in that shape unless one of two conditions exist:

1.) They're very old, so also drafty and possibly not quite up to some building code or other

2.) They've been abused..  But i can't imagine anyone tugging on pane dividers like that.

Good news:

The building clearly at LEAST needs a new set of shingles. Codes in many a areas require better than 20 year shingles.  Some may require 50 year.

The columns need replacing.

Gutters need work (maybe not complete replacement, but defininte work!)

Roofing vents: Those are all the same and clearly invite water influx!  IF They have to be replaced, it may be that it doesn't happen at the same time as shingle (or other roof material) replacement.

The bricks need a good pressure washing and a wash with muriatic acid ESPECIALLY to remove the graffiti! 

Landscaping is a MUST.

But wait! Didn't a certain somebody in an early meeting say that renovations would only be on the inside of the building?!

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 22:05 »
OK, I'll start with the bad news:  The window pane dividers won't necessarily be so expensive to repair. 

Yes, agree, but the fact that they've let them go like that demonstrates the same lack of concern that not mowing the lawn for months did.  It's more forgivable (at least to me) if they let the expensive stuff go, but they should at least be taking care of the cheap issues.  They could just take them off completely, and it would look better than having them falling out of place.

However, they would not be in that shape unless one of two conditions exist:

1.) They're very old, so also drafty and possibly not quite up to some building code or other

2.) They've been abused..  But i can't imagine anyone tugging on pane dividers like that.

Good news:

The building clearly at LEAST needs a new set of shingles. Codes in many a areas require better than 20 year shingles.  Some may require 50 year.

The columns need replacing.

Gutters need work (maybe not complete replacement, but defininte work!)

Roofing vents: Those are all the same and clearly invite water influx!  IF They have to be replaced, it may be that it doesn't happen at the same time as shingle (or other roof material) replacement.

The bricks need a good pressure washing and a wash with muriatic acid ESPECIALLY to remove the graffiti! 

Landscaping is a MUST.

But wait! Didn't a certain somebody in an early meeting say that renovations would only be on the inside of the building?!

Yes, the somebody did say that.  I'm betting there are all kinds of water leakage problems on the inside, particularly the upper floor.  Possibly mold too, since it's been ignored since at least 2005.

There are a lot of wood rotting problems, on windowsills and around the roofline, that are more apparent in the larger versions of the pictures (available on request).  I would wonder about termites as well.  Don't forget, too, that there are 2 elevators in the building - wonder what kind of shape they're in?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Raven

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:10 »
This is what the building looks after scientology started taking "care" of it.  I can only imagine how exceptional this building will look if they are allowed to  move in!