Author Topic: [Yahoo] Sandy Springs Delays Scientology Vote (CBS 46 News Atlanta)  (Read 3256 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Sandy Springs Delays Scientology Vote (CBS 46 News Atlanta)
20 October 2009, 7:09 pm

Sandy Springs Delays Scientology Vote
Church Comes Up With New Plan To Address Residents' Fears
By Renee Starzyk, CBS Atlanta Reporter

POSTED: 6:12 pm EDT October 20, 2009
UPDATED: 11:48 pm EDT October 20, 2009

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. -- The Sandy Springs City Council has delayed a vote on a plan for the Church of Scientology to put a church in a vacant office building until December 15th.

This came after the Church of Scientology has reworked plans to put a church in a vacant office building at the intersection of Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive.

“It’s a horrendous intersection and everybody knows that,” said Robin Beechey, a member of one of 16 neighborhood associations fighting the church.

Neighbors believe there is not enough parking at the site and they fear a potential increase in traffic.

However, an attorney for the Church of Scientology said the church has addressed residents' concerns. New plans call for the church to convert an underground parking area into worship space but continue to maintain 111 parking spaces.

The church has also agreed to limit the number of people in the church to 170.

“This is not a mega church," said attorney W. Woodson Galloway. "It is a small church and will operate as a small church.”

Galloway said that the church wants to be treated fairly.

“Whether you agree with it or I agree with their practice of religion, that’s irrelevant," said Galloway. "What’s relevant is that they be treated the same way everyone else is treated."

Neighbors said their fight has nothing to do with the controversy surrounding Scientology.

“This is about this site, this rezoning, this use," Beechey said. "Not this applicant.”

The City Council has now sent the issue back to the Sandy Springs Planning Commission.

video at http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/21353625/detail.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 14:23 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Direct article link:
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/21353625/detail.html

OK ... some of this scares me, concerns me, or makes me laugh.

However, an attorney for the Church of Scientology said the church has addressed residents' concerns. New plans call for the church to convert an underground parking area into worship space but continue to maintain 111 parking spaces.

The church has also agreed to limit the number of people in the church to 170.

“This is not a mega church," said attorney W. Woodson Galloway. "It is a small church and will operate as a small church.”

Hah! fastest-growing religion in the world! 111 people not expected to ever grow to more than 170?  EVER?!

“Whether you agree with it or I agree with their practice of religion, that’s irrelevant," said Galloway. "What’s relevant is that they be treated the same way everyone else is treated."

And he's stepping into grounds which the City Council has refused to tread.  This hasn't been about "beliefs." If it were, the City would have seen how dangerous of a group it is and this would have been over a long time ago.

That is, unless he's trying to say the warnings of their dangerous policies like dateline paying; things like how poorly they, as an organization, fail to properly maintain buildings anywhere in the world; the apparent lies of Galloway himself; and the other apparent issues, are all religious practices, in which case there is no way around discussing them.  And it's also a direct example of how dangerous to local and larger communities and governments Scientology is.

Neighbors said their fight has nothing to do with the controversy surrounding Scientology.

“This is about this site, this rezoning, this use," Beechey said. "Not this applicant.”

Touché! muahaha!

Raven

So are they really going to tell number 171 you can't come in?

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Maybe they removed the hours of operation ( http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,1345.msg4253.html#msg4253 ) so they can have number 171 come in the late evening, and numbers 240 through <n> come in the middle of the night.   They can run round-the-clock shifts now.  :D
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Fastest lying scammers in the world!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
There was more emphasis in the beginning on their desire to expand in Atlanta. Now they attempt to de-emphasize their membership numbers.  What is a person to think?
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
What is a person to think?
that they're clearly LYING! :D