Author Topic: Child Dianetics Leak  (Read 2314 times)

FYIANON

Child Dianetics Leak
« on: June 03, 2009, 18:37 »
I found this on another site: http://rapidshare.com/files/240198249/Child_Dianetics.pdf.html

It is a few pages of the book: Child Dianetics which "teaches" scientologists how to raise their children.

The info is shocking, but I hate to only have access to part of this book.  I'd like to make sure things are not taken out of context, however it seems instructions on how to control a child like this can not be taken out of context. 

It is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Child-Dianetics-L-Ron-Hubbard/dp/0884044211/
if anyone wants to down rate it.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Child Dianetics Leak
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 21:23 »
I have not read Child Dianetics, but I saw that only the Introduction is written by Hubbard.  The rest is compiled by staff.  I think it's important to read carefully, which I haven't done and may not do, and not get alarmed at things that weren't meant to be taken literally, or as written.  I'd be the last to defend Hubbard, but I'll also say that we mustn't let our criticism run away with us and overrule our good sense.  Critical thinking, always, and I mean that in terms of analytical and objective, not as critics of scientology.   ;)

This is something that may be a 1969 rewrite of Child Dianetics.  It seems to have some of the same stuff as Child Dianetics, but to be written in a more socially acceptable way (from the little I have looked at both.)  If someone wanted to do a comparison, it would probably be interesting. 

http://rapidshare.com/files/240560723/Child_Scientology_1969.pdf.html
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:11 »
It's pretty horrific stuff, even when you take out the over-the-top anecdotes that were, oddly, included as examples of what not to do. You have to wonder how Hubbard's mind got on that track in the first place.

It's the "don't think about a pink giraffe" kind of psychology, in my view. When you say that, people immediately, well, think of a pink giraffe. Same thing with the "don't raise a child like a dog" anecdotes; the reader is likely following the textual visuals described as s/he reads, thus they get stuck in the mind one way or the other, even as a "negative example."

If I were writing a child development / nurturing book, I wouldn't even GO there!

(Then again, I, personally, wouldn't be submitting my offspring to Dianetics / Scientology trainign routines / Scientology indoctrination / Scientology ANYTHING, so I do have a bit of personal bias, don't I?!)
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:36 »
Hubbard seems to have only met the worst possible people in his life, and focuses only on how everyone but him "is doing it wrong."  In most of his writings he paints a picture of society being a horrible place.  I think this was deliberate, in order to focus his audience's attention on the negative that they see, and off of the good things in life, so that he could provide his own "good" things.  This ties in with the loaded language used in promotional and training materials that was discussed in this thread.  It shapes their worldview.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 19:39 »
I think this was deliberate, in order to focus his audience's attention on the negative that they see, and off of the good things in life, so that he could provide his own "good" things. 

Good observation. Also, wouldn't you hestitate before "clearing" a NICE planet? :) Make it look as bad as you can, and it makes it easier to justify what amounts to, in plain terms, genocide of innocents / non-Scientologists.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 20:35 »
Also, wouldn't you hestitate before "clearing" a NICE planet? :) Make it look as bad as you can, and it makes it easier to justify what amounts to, in plain terms, genocide of innocents / non-Scientologists.

Yes, I hadn't thought of it that way.  Very good point.
   Narconon Reviews