Author Topic: AJC - Sandy Springs defers vote on Church of Scientology  (Read 2446 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Hmmm... This is new.  If true, it means we have more time to educate the people of Sandy Springs.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2009/06/05/sandy_springs_scientology.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Sandy Springs defers vote on Church of Scientology
By APRIL HUNT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, June 05, 2009

Sandy Springs won’t decide until later this summer on a Church of Scientology’s request to move into the city.

The city’s planning commission voted last week to defer the church’s application to rezone a former office at Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive for its operations. At issue: whether the proposed 81 parking spaces will be enough for the 600-member church. Church representatives said they will conduct a parking study to show they will not need the 148 spaces estimated by city staff to meet the church’s needs.

The request — which has drawn objections from residents because of concerns over parking, traffic and noise — is expected to go before the planning commission again in August. The church is now located in Dunwoody.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Re: AJC - Sandy Springs defers vote on Church of Scientology
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 17:57 »
On another note, this issue sure is getting a lot of press coverage. Gee! i wonder why?

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 20:30 »
Now the reason I said, "if true" is because the article says:
"The city’s planning commission voted last week to defer the church’s application ..."

But it also says:
"The request ... is expected to go before the planning commission again in August."

I had asked this question in email:
When the Planning Commission voted to approve the 60 day
deferral at the May 21 meeting, does that mean the deferral is a
done deal, or will the Mayor and City Council rule officially on the
deferral on June 16 at the next scheduled meeting?

And Linda Abaray replied:
The Planning Commission only make recommendations to the Mayor and City
Council. The Council would have to approve the deferral. Please let me
know if you have any other questions.

Linda Abaray
Planner I
City of Sandy Springs
7840 Roswell Road, Bldg. 500
Sandy Springs, GA 30350
O. 770-206-1577
F. 770-206-1562

I'm noticing now that she did not really answer the complete question, which was "will the Mayor and City Council rule officially on the deferral on June 16 at the next scheduled meeting?"

So, I wonder if the June 16 meeting will address the 5395 rezoning at all, if the Mayor and City Council will announce that the deferral is approved, or if it was already officially approved, and the issue will not be addressed at the meeting at all.

If the official approval to defer is given at the meeting, I think it would be good for us (or at least one of us) to be at the meeting to videotape the announcement so we have complete documentation.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get an answer until Monday at the earliest.

It does support the statements made in the replies I posted about here: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,125.msg649.html#msg649

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline alias

• Administrator
  • Fly in the Ointment
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 20:17 »
The discussion of protesting in Sandy Springs has been split into a new topic and moved to the Local Activism > Atlanta, Georgia area board.

Carry on.   :)

Be nice.  Don't hit.  Don't run with scissors.  Try not to make a mess, and if you do, clean it up.

What do you do when 'potential' is your favorite word
and then the bus leaves you at the next move sideways?
--The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 20:20 »
So, I wonder if the June 16 meeting will address the 5395 rezoning at all, if the Mayor and City Council will announce that the deferral is approved, or if it was already officially approved, and the issue will not be addressed at the meeting at all.

If the official approval to defer is given at the meeting, I think it would be good for us (or at least one of us) to be at the meeting to videotape the announcement so we have complete documentation.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get an answer until Monday at the earliest.

Well, it has been confirmed.  I was sent word to post that the meetings have been deferred until August.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 23:33 »
Well, it has been confirmed.  I was sent word to post that the meetings have been deferred until August.

Hi Stutroup,

Does this give more time for critics of the plan to lobby the council and Mayor?

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:13 »
As far as I'm aware, it does (or at least should!).  But I haven't been able to go to any of the meetings so I'm basically waiting for info like everyone else is.