Author Topic: Scientologist kills himself  (Read 1957 times)

Raven

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:58 by Raven »

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: ExScientologist kills himself
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:38 »
I had heard he was an OTV too, but was he an ex?  I hadn't seen anything about that, but I guess he's an ex now.  Condolences to those who loved him.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Raven

Re: Scientologist kills himself
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 12:59 »
Your right I'm wrong. I fixed the subject. 

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 13:40 »
Well, I meant he's an ex now, whether by choice or not, since he's deceased. 

There is really something wrong with a group, whether it's considered a cult or a religion, that seems to have such a high rate of suicide (proportionally speaking) and death in general.  I say "seems" because it's impossible to do any kind of legitimate statistical analysis on the suicide (or cancer) rate of scientologists, but just in the last year and a half there have been a lot of deaths associated with scientology. 

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 22:16 »
Scientology allows its members to participate in a group fantasy where they get to claim possession of "superpowers!". But unlike an RPG, scientology demands a literal belief in these super powers; sooner or later reality rubs against those beliefs. Some respond by suicide; some by becoming psychotic (please google Lisa McPherson); and (hopefully) most by walking out the nearest door, and never going back.

In the cult, the outside world is painted in terms of horror - the Evil Psychs! The Suppressive Persons! The Anonymous Terrorists! But every beautiful, happy cake brought to a protest belies that.

Scientology formalizes megalomania. That is a great strength and a greater weakness. Some folks will accept any belief that lets them imagine themselves better than everyone else. But (I hope), most people don't want to rule the world, and don't trust people who do!

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 14:12 »
Beautifully written, Wynot!

On a thread within that: Much like an RPG, though, Scientologists even have to grind for levels and pay massive sums of (gold) for quests and items!

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 22:36 »
Beautifully written, Wynot!

On a thread within that: Much like an RPG, though, Scientologists even have to grind for levels and pay massive sums of (gold) for quests and items!

Thanks Stu; a sad thing about the cult - in their game, they only get to play with other scilons! And have you read their Victory stories? When they win, its because they got to the org without wrecking their car, or they ignored their child until it quit crying on its own... Not like slaying a thousand ogres and freeing the princess, eh?

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 20:03 »
Some of the Scientologist "win" stories are heart-wrenchingly sad, because they reveal the depths of delusion that particular Scientologist has sunk to.

Only a Scientologist could twist child neglect into a "win."

Other "wins" are clearly an attempt to ascribe to Scientology what is really a minor everyday event or a coincidence.

"My goldfish seemed to be ill and then he seemed to get better--must be Scientology!"
"I was almost in a traffic accident and was really scared, but nothing actually happened to me--must be Scientology!"
"I was assertive with someone at work and got my way--thanks, scientology!"
"I did not understand a word I read, so I used The Tech and looked it up--Scientology really works!"
"I was thinking about my friend and wondering how he was, and then phone rang and it was, of all people, him!--Scientology is amazing!"

Normal people don't scrounge for excuses to attribute every mundane and minor event in their lives to the wonders of Scientology. Normal people would also consider:

* If Scientology helped the fish improve, why did the fish get sick in the first place?
* If Scientology grants people special powers, then why didn't I foresee the potential traffic accident in advance?
* Perhaps the success of my assertive tactic had nothing to do with Scientology, and had everything to do with the fact that I was the other person's superior, or I made a good point, or...
* I knew how to use a dictionary BEFORE Scientology.
* What a coincidence that my friend called! Of course, the last 472 times I thought of someone I hadn't heard from in a while, the phone did NOT ring.

It is like the "hammer" joke: if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks more or less like a nail. Using Scientology as a blanket excuse for every minor positive event in life is using it like a hammer: everything looks like a nail, or something Scientology can "help" you with.

Here, even scary, NEGATIVE things like thanking Scientology when nearly--but not quite!--being run over while in traffic, can become "wins," because, by that logic, you'd have to blame Scientology for almost getting you run over to begin with. You can't have things both ways, after all.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"