Author Topic: Blown For Goods Book Reviews!  (Read 3982 times)

Raven

Blown For Goods Book Reviews!
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:35 »
For those that do not know.  Mark Hadley's new book Blow for Good has come out recently.  Mark spent years working at the exclusive gold base and was surrounded by some of scientology's elite.  His book recounts his time in the cult, the abuse he suffered, and his escape on a motor bike while being chased by cult members.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/11/tom_cruise_was.php?page=1

Mark gave an interview with the book the below is what snagged my attention:

Let us get this straight. Tom Cruise, who had already starred in Risky Business and Top Gun and Born on the Fourth of July and Days of Thunder, the man who, at the time, was 28 years old and perhaps the biggest movie star in the world, spent hours and hours of each day, for three straight weeks, instructing Headley to speak to inanimate objects, requesting that they get up and move on their own, and when they didn't, told Headley to move them anyway, and then thank them?

I always wonder how different the version of sci given to celebs is VS regular people.  I wonder how long tom cruise yelled at animate objects.

Headley says that after a couple of weeks, he did begin to wonder about trying to make objects move by talking to them. But this was Tom Cruise, and not someone you would question

Has anyone ever heard any reports of cruise hitting the staff?

Headley's account as a whole provides a damning account of life working for Scientology leader David Miscavige at the secretive desert base, where young people who sign billion-year contracts work 100-hour weeks for little or no pay with the ever-present threat that they may be pulled into hellish disciplinary drills, or separated permanently from friends and family members for the slightest perceived infraction.

I love to see this info get out.  The abuse of the cult needs to be spread.

Headley managed to get himself to Kansas City, where his father lived. But then came the real challenge: His wife, Claire, got word to him that she also wanted to defect so that they could be reunited. Would they be able to pull it off now that she was being watched day and night? Her attempt to escape provides a thrilling final chapter to the book, which, while showing some of the rough edges of a self-published tale, is well-paced and an entertaining read.

I wondered how she got out and I can't wait to read it.

To illustrate what a foreign language Scientologists speak, he provides this example, spoken by his supervisor soon after he first becomes a church employee: "The ED ordered that I go over to the PAC and see the Dissem Secs from ASHO and AO and get the WUS and EUS T&P BMO lists that we use each week for our SBC promo. I should be back here at the HGB by dinner. If the FBO or Treas Sec ask where I went, can you tell them that I am on a GI cycle for the stats."

This illustrates why it is so hard for sci memebrs to reintegrate back into society. Te cult keeps them as isolated as possible.  This top secret language seems to keep them on their own.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:38 by Raven »

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Re: Blown For Goods Book Reviews!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 17:31 »
I wonder how many people are going to mail a copy of this to Oprah ...

Offline Aquaman

• Met Xenu
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18 »
I don't know about beatings, but I have heard from people who've worked on movies Cruise is in that he can be somewhat of a dick. That's just a vague memory, though, and it could be wrong.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:17 »
Most of the S.O members i met then have since blown from scientology. If any of you get a chance to buy Marc Headley's his new book, its a very good read.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 17:42 by SocialTransparency »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 18:02 »
Purchased! Can't wait to read it.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 18:41 »
Is it available via Amazon yet?
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 20:17 »
http://blownforgood.com/ 
He has a link to buy it through Amazon on there; it's from him as an Amazon seller.

It's a nice quality book, the pages are heavy and slick, not the cheap newsprint type pages found in so many books these days.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:30 »
Thanks, will get myself a copy ASAP.

The Human Wiki.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 18:43 »

Page 98 of Marc's book explained something for me. I always wondered what the name of the building the S.O gave me a birthday party in. Its called the "Tavern". As marc states, it was done up in a knights of the round table motif.

PIC'S it did happen

Myself seated @ the round table having CAKE! Yes the caek was real!

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 23:54 »
@ST: Yeah...but our caek is better. :)

The Human Wiki.