Author Topic: Sandy Springs zoning opposition  (Read 41093 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Sandy Springs zoning opposition
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 19:05 »
I have updated the first post in this thread.  The new stuff is in bold text.  Please read.  Thanks.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 20:08 »
If they are using the Mt. Vernon address, how are they getting their mail? Should we poke around and see if they sill own property there?

Is this to dodge some current issues we don't know about with their current Shallowford location? Perhaps there are upset neighbors in the Shallowford area who have filed complaints, or issues with Scilons not paying rent / utils / maintaining the property?

It would be nice if we could check on their current status on Shallowford, to see if they are running away from existing problems with that neighborhood and merchants / utlites in addition to trying to satisfy the COB's demand for MOAR Idle Orgs.

As for the 75lbs per sq.ft, I'm assuming that 1 square foot is equivalent to a block 12 inches by 12 inches. There are people, TVs and filing cabinets that exceed that weight, easily.

And, yes, school is doing my head in.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 21:02 »
The Mt. Vernon address is a medical facility now, divided into separate offices.  We do know that someone claiming to be the owner of the N. Shallowford bldg. claimed that they were leaving there, but we took her to be a scientologist because the same thing had happened in other cities.  I don't know how to find out that kind of stuff, short of doing door-to-door interviews.  The discrepancy might be a good thing to bring up at the meeting, or in a letter, though.

I assume that with the floor, there is a certain load required for some amount of floor space - I don't think it literally means that each ft2 must hold 100 lbs, but rather that if they have 100 ft2 of floor space, it must hold 10,000 lbs, and it only will hold 7500 lbs.  I don't know if that includes the weight of the walls too, but it almost certainly would include files, desks, and saunas, in addition to people.  They are probably going for a reduced occupancy rating.

For instance, if the example 100 ft2 would normally be rated for occupancy of 40, the 100 ft2 with 75 lb. floors would be rated for an occupancy of 30.  (Because, one would hope! the 1 ft2 on which you would stand wouldn't cut loose from the rest of the floor and drop out from under you.)

It would be interesting to find out what the number of people the existing floor space at the existing weight rating would safely hold, that is, what the occupancy rating would be.

Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 20:38 »
Thanks for the update EC.

I think your point about stressing the primary issue being parking and traffic, and other issues in the zoning application you linked is definitely the way to go in this community. I would steer totally clear of mentioning Xenu or anything about the cult's beliefs.   

SS is a very open-minded community in many ways. I believe we must not appear anti-religious in any way. (even though we know we are not dealing with a real religion)   
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Sandy Springs zoning opposition-Org Pictures
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 06:55 »
Does anyone have a collection of pictures of the currently run-down orgs that exist that we could post somewhere for the public to view?

The condition of the SS building since purchase in 2005 and other orgs was mentioned at the zoning meeting last night. There seems to be some awareness in the community that some of the buildings are quite run-down and in disrepair. That picture of the LA org still in disrepair long after earthquake damage comes to mind. 

If not I can track down some pics.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 19:47 »
The original post has been updated, please jump back to here to read it.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 19:29 »
Updated again: here
   Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 07:25 »
Thanks for keeping all this straight EC

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 13:18 »
Of possible interest (originally posted by "Uncle Bruce" elsewhere):

There is an interesting letter in today's St. Pete times about the tax
money spent on improving down town Clearwater that benefits no one but
the cult. The letter is of particular interest because the writer has
some expertise in this area.

Redeveloping downtown Clearwater is a waste of city tax dollars - St. Petersburg Times
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/article1006666.ece

This link will also allow you to write the times about the recent letter to the French Government by Mr. Belerakus ET AL.

The Human Wiki.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 20:49 »
Tonight's meeting confirmed the deferral to August.

More will come when people get to their computers xD

Offline Ultrapoet

• Joker and Degrader
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 22:28 »
Not a hell of a lot to say.  Neighbors registered displeasure, I made what points I could in what time I had left and the vote was to defer it until August 18.

Raven

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18 »
Well it was delayed until August 8th so sci can pay for a parking study to be done.  Obviously it will be biased. 

One of the council members went after sci's lawyer and it was beautiful to see.  I hope Gumby gets the videos up soon.

We have 60 days to get people even more worked up. The objectives remain the same
1) Inform people to get them to not let sci in
2) Inform people enough that if sci gets in they won't get any new customers form it.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 22:33 »
Perhaps we should make a booklet for the counsel members that outline, in bullet point format, the primary objections and concerns, and some lovely colour pictures of Scientology properties world-wide, links to videos of same, and, if possible, comments from local businesses and civilians in Scihive-afflicted areas.

A compare-and-contrast section with the differences between tradtional churches and Scientology's business might or might not be useful, depending on how it is handled. One point that should be made is charitable outreach for Scilons takes on the Vulture Minister model, where they leech off of services and goods provided by legitimate relief organizations and religious volunteers while providing nothing in return.

Bullet points to consider:
1. The most vital, of course, would be the parking / zoning. This is what the meetings focus on.
2. Traffic / business hours / events held.
3. Peddling books / tests / vitamins on site.
4. Lack of maintenance at site now, and other sites world-wide, and current properties in GA.
5. Proposed modifications to building will render it a white elephant, unsuitable for most subsequent tenants.
6. Their "slow pay" tech, and likely impact on locals providing services and goods.
7. ...etc.

The Human Wiki.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 12:25 »
Perhaps we should make a booklet for the counsel members that outline, in bullet point format, the primary objections and concerns, and some lovely colour pictures of Scientology properties world-wide, links to videos of same, and, if possible, comments from local businesses and civilians in Scihive-afflicted areas.

I believe the Sandy Springs govt. is well informed.  They have a large stack of information from residents (and others), and don't appear to lack knowledge.  I think part of the problem, though, is that Galloway has made several suggestions to them that he will sue the city if the rezoning is not approved.  Scientology is, once again, trying to play the religious discrimination card.  From reading the documents Raven posted, here and here, it appears to me that they are somewhat resistant to that, but it will depend on the city attorney's opinion as to how resistant they will continue to be.  I believe there may more documents yet to be posted when Raven has the time to scan and upload them.

It seems to me that the most effective thing we can do is to inform all the residents as best we can, enough so to get most of them to verbally oppose the rezoning.  There are a lot of residents opposed, and the majority (if not all) who have expressed an opinion are opposed, but far more have not expressed an opinion at all.  If an overwhelming number of the residents are opposed, I wonder if that is sufficient for the Mayor and City Council to turn it down just based on residents' opposition?

Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 12:26 »
... delayed until August 8th ...

August 18, I believe.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2009, 22:06 »
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 21:45 »
Interesting that there is a meeting on that date...when did they decide to do that?

Glad you found out about it!

The Human Wiki.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 11:14 »
I think maybe the meeting was scheduled all along, and at the last Mayor and City Council meeting, when they said the next meeting would be August 18, they were referring specifically to the next Mayor and City Council meeting, either forgetting, or just not referring to, the next Planning Commission meeting.  Your guess is as good as mine as to why they wouldn't have mentioned the Planning Commission meeting.   ???
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2009, 23:26 »
I think this information from SP Times related to Clearwater is pertinent to our interests:

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/article1016155.ece

Pinellas residents must defend planning council

Re: Despite times, we can afford land use plans |  Diane Steinle column, July 5

We must defend planning council

The Pinellas Planning Council, a countywide land planning agency, is more important than ever to the citizens of Pinellas County. Now that Gov. Charlie Crist has sold out Florida to the developers, the citizens in each county will have to tighten up their plans for development more than ever.

You very rarely see the actions of the Pinellas Planning Council. Their work is accomplished in small meetings that do not get noticed unless their actions differ with the Pinellas County Commission. Then, the citizens have an opportunity to witness just how important the planning council is.

Recently, the Pinellas Planning Council fought, for you and me, the Pinellas County Commission's plan to designate a portion of the Brooker Creek Preserve for future construction of water treatment plants and water storage tanks.

This is how the Pinellas County Commission works: Tear things into small pieces and no one will notice the big picture of what we are doing. However, the Pinellas Planning Council did notice and tried to stop it. (Please note the definition of "preserve": maintain something in its original or existing state. This is a concept that the County Commission cannot see.)

County Administrator Bob LaSala says that he is not being punitive in telling the Pinellas Planning Council that it is necessary for the agency to cut its budget almost in half and stop levying its dedicated tax on county residents. That is like telling the Pinellas Planning Council to spend the money it has, do not bother to raise any more, and plan on being nonexistent in a few years.

Is this really what the citizens of Pinellas County want? I do not think so. This council was established in 1988 by a special act of the Florida Legislature when someone had the foresight to realize that one day a governor such as Crist would come along and sell out our state to the developers. The problem with the special act is that it gives "the board of county commissioners the right to review the planning council budget, raising or reducing it as it deems necessary."

Now, more than ever, the citizens of Pinellas County must do everything we can to protect our land. It will be up to us to watch how the County Commission votes on these issues because these issues affect our lives. Watch to see if the county administrator does everything he can to abolish this council, which is working to protect the environment.

We need the Pinellas Planning Council.

Margaret Hyde, Clearwater

Comments by Clearwater/Tampa Bay residents are also posted to the piece.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 23:32 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32 »
Margaret Hyde, Clearwater

One group takes over downtown

I have lived in Clearwater for 20 years, and when the City Council asks the question why downtown Clearwater is not becoming the vibrant, successful marketplace that it was planned to be, the answer is Scientology.

Scientology has destroyed our downtown. One only has to see the Scientologists roaming our streets, none of them ever saying good afternoon or excuse me.

You will never convince me this is a religion. They use our streets as part of their domain and are slowly buying up our city. The answer as to why we, the residents of Clearwater, will not shop there is Scientology.

Narconon Reviews