Author Topic: If U Get Sci Mail- Consider This  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• New Around Here
If U Get Sci Mail- Consider This
« on: December 13, 2009, 22:47 »
Much of the scientology bulk mail comes with a BRE (Business Reply Envelope) which requires no postage.

1. Save all your incoming BREs.
2. Type a personal letter to the staff member who opens the mail.
3. Print copies of the letter and attach it to the BRE and put it in the mailbox.

I don't recommend this unless you know how to talk to a scientologist. If you are an ex, think about what someone could have said to you that might have made a difference or might have gotten you to at least think about leaving.

It might be fun to post some examples of what one could write in one of these letters.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: If U Get Sci Mail- Consider This
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22 »
This is a better idea than "brick tech," where some frustrated ex who was flooded with unwanted Sci-mail apparently got so fed up that s/he attached Scientology BREs to huge boxes of cinderblocks or paving tile samples (I forget which, but apparently the package weighed almost 70 pounds) and sent them back.

Anyone have the link to that story? My Goog-fu is failing me.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Aquaman

• Met Xenu
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 20:14 »
I don't know specifically about Scientology being mailed bricks, but according to Straight Dope not only doesn't using BREs taped to bricks work, but it's technically breaking the law to use it in such a manner (though I doubt the FBI or US Postal Inspector Service will send agents to beat down your door over it :P ).

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/566/can-i-mail-a-brick-back-to-a-junk-mail-firm-using-the-business-reply-envelope

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 20:24 »
I'm trying to remember where I read that (and I like Cecil Adams, too).

Perhaps people were brainstorming. I'm also recalling someone saying that they could stuff an envelope with thin but heavy sheets of metal and slap the BRE to it.

Whether anyone actually DID it, I am not sure.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 21:34 »
I'm trying to remember where I read that (and I like Cecil Adams, too).

Perhaps people were brainstorming. I'm also recalling someone saying that they could stuff an envelope with thin but heavy sheets of metal and slap the BRE to it.

Whether anyone actually DID it, I am not sure.

I also recall someone sending one back with enough pennies to compensate for a stamp.  Of course, that would be giving money to the cult D: