Author Topic: Local scientologist responds  (Read 3732 times)

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Local scientologist responds
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:37 »
 Funny thing about this response. If this individual was so adamant about his stance, why did he not after 10 months attend any of the sandy Springs meetings on this zoning issue.

On another note. I have not seen, read or heard of ANYTHING the so-called church of scientology has done for the local community. NONE.

Below is in response to the current Sandy Springs Report article. This is EC'S former friend!

"Eyes, ears and hearts wide open
December 15, 2009 | 01:45 PM

I have heard it said that the Church of Scientology came into the process of purchasing and renovating our new church property in Sandy Springs with our "eyes wide open." This is certainly true. We raised our funds from our parishioners who knew how much good we can do with a fully functioning church. We spent time and money making sure that we would have a beautiful structure that would allow us to do our full job and would conform to existing laws.

That's right, the church's plans to enclose the basement were designed to conform to all existing laws. However, the church has neighbors and they had concerns about traffic and parking. As good neighbors we opened our ears and listened. Officials from the church went to meet with those neighborhood groups, the Planning Commission and the City Council. The church listened to their concerns and educated them on the activities of the church and why the full space was needed.

In the end the church volunteered a plan that addresses all the neighborhood concerns. In a good faith effort, the church has offered to cap the building occupancy at 170 people and has, at their own expense, hired an engineering firm to re-configure the parking lot to accommodate 111 parking spaces. This allows a full build-out of the basement while still maintaining the original number of parking spaces provided with the building.

These changes address every legitimate concern that has been voiced. I hope the City Council sees this and does the fair thing and approves the church's request so we can all open our hearts, and the church can get on with the job of helping our parishioners and our new community.

Merrik Levetan
Scientology obfuscation
December 14, 2009 | 07:58 PM"

Raven

Re: Local scientologist responds
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 13:40 »
hmm never saw him at a meeting.  Wonder where his "info" came from

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 13:53 »
<quote>Funny thing about this response. If this individual was so adamant about his stance, why did he not after 10 months attend any of the sandy Springs meetings on this zoning issue.</quote>

Perhaps he could not face the friends whose sanity-based view of the world he has totally rejected?

Maybe not...

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:28 »
I think this letter deserves some responses that point out his non-attendance, and set the record straight about how supposedly accommodating the cult was when it repeatedly filed papers late, refused to address legitimate concerns, could not get vital statistics about property size or congregation size or traffic volume straight, harangued neighbors directly against their wishes, threatened residents and the council repeatedly with baseless religous discrimination lawsuits when they were the only party bringing religion into the debate in the first place, how they were not denied anything other entities would get but how they were denied permission to be EXEMPT from the regulations everyone else has to follow, how they let the building rot and become an eyesore for years and claim they plan to do better but have not made even a good faith effort to demonstrate how they plan to do so for the 10 months this debate has dragged on, how they didn't bother to follow zoning regulations when they held prior large-scale events (and sold crap in the parking lot) and their vehicles overflowed into other neighborhoods, and how they already rely on the kindness of their neighboring post office (a government business that should not be granting favours to ANY religious entity) for some of their parking needs.

P.S. Any relation to Diane Levitan? Wasn't she running for political office (possibly in DeKalb County) a few years back? Is she also a Scientologist?
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 18:28 »
P.S. Any relation to Diane Levitan? Wasn't she running for political office (possibly in DeKalb County) a few years back? Is she also a Scientologist?

Liane Levitan.  Aunt.  She was, I believe, a County Commissioner in DeKalb.  Her name should turn up a few hits if you search.  Not sure what she's up to now, or whether she became a scientologist, though I rather doubt it.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:36 »
YES, Liane! Sorry.

If she is still a CC in DeKalb (not sure what term limits are), would it be worth sending her an info packet or not?

The Human Wiki.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 20:40 »
YES, Liane! Sorry.

If she is still a CC in DeKalb (not sure what term limits are), would it be worth sending her an info packet or not?

I don't think she holds that position anymore.  At any rate, if she has joined (which I don't think she has), she won't believe a word of it, and if she hasn't, what better example than a family member who is a member to illustrate the scientology modus operandi.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 18:13 »
YES, Liane! Sorry.

I don't think she holds that position anymore.  At any rate, if she has joined (which I don't think she has), she won't believe a word of it, and if she hasn't, what better example than a family member who is a member to illustrate the scientology modus operandi.
Liane Levetan is currently not in the political arena. She is a licensed real estate agent.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:03 »
Thanks for the info! Not being in town makes it a little harder to verify that sort of stuff.

The Human Wiki.