Author Topic: SS Local Churches  (Read 6581 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
SS Local Churches
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:08 »
First Baptist Church
 (404) 257-1144
 650 Mt Vernon Hwy Ne, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Sandy Springs Christian Church
 (404) 256-2582
 301 Johnson Ferry Rd NW, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Northside Independent Methodist Church
 (404) 257-1539
 590 Mt Vernon Hwy NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Lazarus House Ministries <==they need narconon info too!!!
 (404) 419-7407
 Use a telephone to Call Today
 Description:
 12 Step Christian Recovery Group
 Discipleship Class Bible Study
 6558 Roswell Rd NE
 Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Rameshori Buddhist Center
 (404) 255-1585
 130 Allen Rd Ne, Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Fountain of Love United Methodist
 (404) 250-0061
 85 Mt Vernon Hwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328

Sandy Springs United Methodist
 (404) 255-1181
 86 Mt Vernon Hwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: SS Local Churches
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 20:35 »
You may also wish to look for services and shelters provided by local churches.

Check that you aren't omitting mosques, temples, synagogues, etc.

Any group that deals with the vulnerable should be warned that the cult tries to pretend it is benefiting a community, but, as with their Volunteer / Vulture Ministers swooping down on disaster sites and consuming the resources provided by legitimate groups for victims, trying to recruit the vulnerable, and impeding the work of trained and legitimate service agencies, the cult does nothing charitable without a string attached. If it does not financially benefit the cult or offer a recruitment avenue, the cult does not bother.

They are BAD PEOPLE. Churches, etc., that actually provide charitable relief and services to a community are GOOD people. There should be no confusing the two groups.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Raven

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 14:46 »
    Please proof and fix it. This one will be sent by email.

Dear Dr. Hunt,
I’m not sure if you remember me, but I wrote to you a few months ago about the narconon ads on your station.  I was very happy when expressed your feelings about scientology to me.  I was thrill you were so well informed about the cult.

However, the cult is attempting to grow. Currently, the cult is renting space at 4480 N. Shallowford Rd, NW suite   100; Atlanta, GA  30338 in Dunwoody. However, the cult is currently attempting to rezone a piece of property it owns in Sandy  Springs in order to move there.  You may have seen the recent articles about the rezoning http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-05-01155896.113118_Crime_proposed_church_concernHigh_Point_Civic_Association.html
and http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-05-01-155887.113118_Scientologists_move_meets_opposition.html.  I have attended the rezoning meetings and the local people do not want the cult to move into their area.  Sadly since rezoning is a governmental issue we are not allowed to bring up the cults “religious” activities during meetings.  So far two meetings have been held about this issue and they can be viewed here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/GovTransparency.

I’m writing to you to ask for your help. Although our group is putting up a great fight against this rezoning I’m afraid we can not reach everyone.  Please pass along this information to anyone you think it would be beneficial to.  The next zoning meeting is at May 21st at 7pm  in 7840 Roswell Road Building 500 this information can be confirmed by calling770-730-5600. If you are unable to make this meeting the Sandy Springs City Council member’s emails and phone numbers can be found at http://www.sandyspringsga.org.

Thank You 

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:25 »
It's a good letter -- a little redundant with "the cult" but otherwise I like it.

Raven

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:27 »
    Final draft and its out the door

Dear Dr. Hunt,
I’m not sure if you remember me, but I wrote to you a few months ago about the narconon ads on your station.  I was very happy when expressed your feelings about scientology to me.  I was thrilled you were so well informed about the cult.

However, scientology is attempting to grow. Currently, the cult is renting space at 4480 N. Shallowford Rd, NW   suite 100; Atlanta,  GA 30338 in Dunwoody. However, scientology iscurrently attempting to rezone a piece of property it owns in Sandy Springs in order to move there.  You may have seen the recent articles about the rezoning http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-05-01155896.113118_Crime_proposed_church_concernHigh_Point_Civic_Association.html
and http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-05-01-155887.113118_Scientologists_move_meets_opposition.html.  I have attended the rezoning meetings and the local people do not want the cult to move into their area.  Sadly since rezoning is a governmental issue we are not allowed to bring up the cult’s “religious” activities during meetings.  So far two meetings have been held about this issue and they can be viewed here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/GovTransparency.

I’m writing to you to ask for your help. Although our group is putting up a great fight against this rezoning I’m afraid we can not reach everyone.  Please pass along this information to anyone you think it would be beneficial to.  The next zoning meeting is at May 21st at 7pm  in 7840 Roswell Road Building 500 this information can be confirmed by calling770-730-5600. If you are unable to make this meeting the Sandy Springs City Council member’s emails and phone numbers can be found at http://www.sandyspringsga.org.

Thank You 

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 21:12 »
Two "howevers" in 2nd para jumped out at me at first glance. Capitalize Scinentology.

Consider using footnotes linked from print media citations and/or use the "[1]" standard for email correspondence, where "[1]" links to a footnoted URL / references, rather than putting them in the body of the letter itself where they stop the flow of the letter.

E.g.

blah blah in recent articles [1][2] we find out foo bar blah

[1] Byline, Title of article, Newpaper, Date (check format, I am tired ATM)
Online version of article: long url
Alternate link to online article: tinyurl

[2] same format as above, with specific info changed

The Human Wiki.

Raven

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 22:43 »
I have another one coming.  I have a hard time believing that SS has such a small group of churches.  Anyone know of any we are missing?  Also, should we spread out a bit from the SS area to include more churches?

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 23:12 »
I did a search by congregation that might give you a few more.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=O8e&q=Sandy+Springs%2C+GA+Congregation&btnG=Search&cts=1243911165020&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

A.   
Congregation B'Nai Torah
700 Mount Vernon Highway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
 - www.bnaitorah.org - (404) 257-0537 - More

B.   
Jehovah's Witnesses
 - www.watchtower.org - (404) 255-0030 - More
C.   
Congregation Anshei Chesed
5399 Northland Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
 - www.ansheichesed.org - (404) 255-6330 - More
D.   
Congregation Beth Tefillah
5065 Highpoint Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30342
 - www.bethtefillah.org - (404) 843-2464 - More
E.   
Unitarian Universalist NW
1025 Mt. Vernon Highway, N.W.,
Sandy Springs Atlanta, GA 30327
 - nwuuc.org - (770) 955-1408 - More
F.   
Congregation Beth Tefillah (see contacts- several different locations)
 - www.bethtefillah.org - (404) 257-9306 - More
G.   
Congregation Ariel
5237 Tilly Mill Road
Atlanta, GA 30338
Fax: 770-390-0403
E-mail: office@congariel.org
 - www.congariel.org - (770) 390-9071 - More
H.   
Congregation ETZ Chaim
1190 Indian Hills Parkway
Marietta, GA 30068
 - etzchaim.net - (770) 973-0137 - More
I.   
Congregation Beth Shalom
5303 Winters Chapel Road
Atlanta, GA 30360
 - bshalom.net - (770) 399-5300 - More
J.   
Beth Hallel Congregation
950 Pine Grove Rd
Roswell, GA 30075
info@bethhallel.org
 - www.bethhallel.org - (770) 641-1471 - More

Some of these are not in SS proper but may be attended by members of the SS community.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:10 »
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of how these legitimate religions parcel out space in their buildings. For some reason, I doubt they have saunas.

It wouldn't help us in any way, I'd just be curious. :P

The Human Wiki.

Raven

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 22:03 »
well this is a start of a letter for Christian Churches.  Please start butchering/fixing it for me.   I'm hoping to work in the front group stuff in there and a few other things too. Give me some ideas of what else to add in

If I'm going about this all wrong please shove me in the right direction. Also my dyslexia has been pretty bad lately so I know probably stinks.

Dear   ,
I'm writing to you about a rezoning request that has been submitted by Scientology.  The property is located at 5395 Roswell Road and the information about the rezoning issue can be found under this number RZ09-001/CV09-001.  Many Homeowners' Associations and citizens have written in protesting the rezoning due to the strains it will place on the local neighborhoods, as well as the decrease in property values that will occur from it' approval.   

Although the approval of this rezoning will impact your Church in the same ways as the local neighbors, a much more pressing matter will be laid at your feet if Scientology is allowed to move into Sandy Springs. 

Often Scientology claims to be compatible with other religions, and often tries to network with them on joint ventures.  However, in 1993 on a document to the IRS Scientology stated:  “Although there is no policy or Scriptural mandate expressly requiring Scientologists to renounce other religious beliefs or membership in other churches, as a practical matter Scientologists are expected to and do become fully devoted to Scientology to the exclusion of other faiths. As Scientologists, they are required to look only to Scientology Scriptures for the answers to the fundamental questions of their existence and to seek enlightenment only from Scientology.”  (from Response to Final Series of IRS Questions Prior to Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) As a Church, October 1, 1993

Part of Scientology is very controversial in its attitudes towards Christians.  When approached about Jesus, Scientology responds one of  two ways. The first is to downplay his significance, which is what new Scientologists are taught.   Jesus is viewed as “one of many good teachers “ ( Shellenberger, Susie (2005). One Year Devotions for Teens. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. pp.189. ISBN 0842362029. )  Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology further downplayed Jesus' impact with the following:  Hubbard states in Volunteer Minister’s Handbook: "Man is basically good but he could not attain expression of this until now. Nobody but the individual could die for his own sins -- to arrange things otherwise was to keep man in chains." (Ankerberg, John; John Weldon (1996). Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs. Harvest House Publishers. pp. Section: Beliefs Behind the “Seens” - A New Age Way of Seeing. ) 
The second approach towards Jesus is taken when a seasoned Scientology asks questions.   

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 22:06 by Raven »

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 00:05 »
Correction in bold red (yes, only one!).

well this is a start of a letter for Christian Churches.  Please start butchering/fixing it for me.   I'm hoping to work in the front group stuff in there and a few other things too. Give me some ideas of what else to add in

If I'm going about this all wrong please shove me in the right direction. Also my dyslexia has been pretty bad lately so I know probably stinks.

Dear   ,
I'm writing to you about a rezoning request that has been submitted by Scientology.  The property is located at 5395 Roswell Road and the information about the rezoning issue can be found under this number RZ09-001/CV09-001.  Many Homeowners' Associations and citizens have written in protesting the rezoning due to the strains it will place on the local neighborhoods, as well as the decrease in property values that will occur from it's approval.   

Although the approval of this rezoning will impact your Church in the same ways as the local neighbors, a much more pressing matter will be laid at your feet if Scientology is allowed to move into Sandy Springs. 

Often Scientology claims to be compatible with other religions, and often tries to network with them on joint ventures.  However, in 1993 on a document to the IRS Scientology stated:  “Although there is no policy or Scriptural mandate expressly requiring Scientologists to renounce other religious beliefs or membership in other churches, as a practical matter Scientologists are expected to and do become fully devoted to Scientology to the exclusion of other faiths. As Scientologists, they are required to look only to Scientology Scriptures for the answers to the fundamental questions of their existence and to seek enlightenment only from Scientology.”  (from Response to Final Series of IRS Questions Prior to Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) As a Church, October 1, 1993

Part of Scientology is very controversial in its attitudes towards Christians.  When approached about Jesus, Scientology responds one of  two ways. The first is to downplay his significance, which is what new Scientologists are taught.   Jesus is viewed as “one of many good teachers “ ( Shellenberger, Susie (2005). One Year Devotions for Teens. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. pp.189. ISBN 0842362029. )  Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology further downplayed Jesus' impact with the following:  Hubbard states in Volunteer Minister’s Handbook: "Man is basically good but he could not attain expression of this until now. Nobody but the individual could die for his own sins -- to arrange things otherwise was to keep man in chains." (Ankerberg, John; John Weldon (1996). Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs. Harvest House Publishers. pp. Section: Beliefs Behind the “Seens” - A New Age Way of Seeing. ) 
The second approach towards Jesus is taken when a seasoned Scientology asks questions.   

I don't understand why the links to wikipedia - October 1 doesn't include anything about the tax exemption, nor does 1993.  Give me a day or two and I can find a link for you to the text of the response to the IRS. 

http://www.sweenytod.com/cos//Theology/Theology/
How about this link for them, which can be introduced by quoting:

Hubbard on the Origins of Christianity

"Somebody somewhere on this planet, back about 600 BC found some pieces of R6. And I don't know how they found it, either by watching madmen or something, but since that time they have used it and it became what is known as Christianity. (draws on a cigarette) The man on the cross. There was no Christ. But the man on the cross is shown as Everyman. So of course each person seeing a crucified man, has an immediate feeling of sympathy for this man. Therefore you get many PCs who says they are Christ. Now, there's two reasons for that, one is the Roman Empire was prone to crucify people, so a person can have been crucified, but in R6 he is shown as crucified." The Class VIII [Auditor's] Course, Lecture 10: "Krakatoa and Beyond", Oct 3, 1968, aboard the Apollo.

The audio of Hubbard saying this is available at the link above.

Something about the Sklar case in, the guy who sued (and is still, I think) to be able to deduct his religious education costs since scientologists are allowed to, might be a good inclusion.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&num=100&q=sklar+tax+scientology&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

And definitely point out to them how the space in the building is to be used - the enormous bookstore and public display area, 3 times the size of the sanctuary(for parishioners only <wink, wink>); the space devoted to files and folders (with a link to the SP Times section on what's in Rinder's and Rathbun's "confessional folders" released because they are speaking out); the amount of space devoted to marketing; and maybe something about what the "religious education classes" consist of (no, Mr. Galloway, they are not like Sunday School for Christians).

I may have some more suggestions tomorrow.  Oh, wait, you wanted to keep it to one or two pages, right?   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:18 »
I need to format the sites better and I know that, but I've got word on order and happen to be working on open office.  I'm not sending this out with the wikilinks active.  I just cut and pasted to save time.

Wiki has been of great help atm cause not all my stuff is back on my new computer yet.

Keep the info coming, but yes I was hoping to hold it to 2 pages lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:53 by Raven »

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 13:53 »
Correction in bold red (yes, only one!).

Dear   ,
I'm writing to you about a rezoning request that has been submitted by Scientology.  The property is located at 5395 Roswell Road and the information about the rezoning issue can be found under this number RZ09-001/CV09-001.  Many Homeowners' Associations and citizens have written in protesting the rezoning due to the strains it will place on the local neighborhoods, as well as the decrease in property values that will occur from its approval.   

no apostrophe in the possessive 'it' pronoun D:

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 14:06 »
EEK!  You're right!  I've been busted!

Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 21:11 »
         With the cites fixed and the url removed. I didn't realized they copied over.  I guess I need to know it I'm on the right path. I meant to have more written, BUT my new shiney computer is giving me issue

Dear   ,
I'm writing to you about a rezoning request that has been submitted by Scientology.  The property is located at 5395 Roswell Road and the information about the rezoning issue can be found under this number RZ09-001/CV09-001.  Many Homeowners' Associations and citizens have written in protesting the rezoning due to the strains it will place on the local neighborhoods, as well as the decrease in property values that will occur from it's approval.   

Often Scientology claims to be compatible with other religions, and often tries to network with them on joint ventures.  However, in 1993 on a document to the IRS Scientology stated:  “Although there is no policy or Scriptural mandate expressly requiring Scientologists to renounce other religious beliefs or membership in other churches, as a practical matter Scientologists are expected to and do become fully devoted to Scientology to the exclusion of other faiths. As Scientologists, they are required to look only to Scientology Scriptures for the answers to the fundamental questions of their existence and to seek enlightenment only from Scientology.” 1   

Part of Scientology is very controversial in its attitudes towards Christians.  When approached about Jesus, Scientology responds one of  two ways. The first is to downplay his significance, which is what new Scientologists are taught.   Jesus is viewed as “one of many good teachers “ 2  Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology further downplayed Jesus' impact with the following:  Hubbard states in Volunteer Minister’s Handbook: "Man is basically good but he could not attain expression of this until now. Nobody but the individual could die for his own sins -- to arrange things otherwise was to keep man in chains." 3
The second approach towards Jesus is taken when a seasoned Scientology asks questions and is told Jesus never existed. 

1 from Response to Final Series of IRS Questions Prior to Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) As a Church, October 1, 1993 

2  Shellenberger, Susie (2005). One Year Devotions for Teens. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. pp.189. ISBN 0842362029. 

3 Ankerberg, John; John Weldon (1996). Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs. Harvest House Publishers. pp. Section: Beliefs Behind the “Seens” - A New Age Way of Seeing. )

uperscript in OOo: ctrl+shift+P   

Offline SirBedevere

• Met Xenu
  • Pain = Growth
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 21:19 »
I like it.  Very clear and concise.  Good intro, description of the issue, and how it concerns them.  However, it stops there.  Perhaps another small paragraph suggesting calls to action?

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 21:25 »
^^^^
THIS. I think it just needs a closing paragraph. Nice work.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 21:38 »
May wish to touch on the Vulture Ministers glomming onto supplies intended for true disaster victims and getting in the way of legitimate secular AND faith-based disaster relief groups.

The Human Wiki.

Raven

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 18:41 »
         Last one after you guys correct it for me. I need a really good anti-volunteer minsters site.

Dear   ,

Often Scientology claims to be compatible with other religions, and often tries to network with them on joint ventures.  However, in 1993 on a document to the IRS Scientology stated:  “Although there is no policy or Scriptural mandate expressly requiring Scientologists to renounce other religious beliefs or membership in other churches, as a practical matter Scientologists are expected to and do become fully devoted to Scientology to the exclusion of other faiths. As Scientologists, they are required to look only to Scientology Scriptures for the answers to the fundamental questions of their existence and to seek enlightenment only from Scientology.” 1   

Part of Scientology is very controversial in its attitudes towards Christians.  When approached about Jesus, Scientology responds one of  two ways. The first is to downplay his significance, which is what new Scientologists are taught.   Jesus is viewed as “one of many good teachers “ 2  Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology further downplayed Jesus' impact with the following:  Hubbard states in Volunteer Minister’s Handbook: "Man is basically good but he could not attain expression of this until now. Nobody but the individual could die for his own sins -- to arrange things otherwise was to keep man in chains." 3
The second approach towards Jesus is taken when a seasoned Scientology asks questions and is told Jesus never existed. They believe everything Christians believe is made up and disregarded. In A Piece of Blue Sky, Jon Atack writes, "In confidential issues, Hubbard dismissed Christian teaching as an 'implant.' ... In confidential materials Hubbard attacked Christianity as an 'implant,' and said that Christ was a fiction."4 This belief continues on today in Scientology. Recently a reporter asked Church of Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw about this theology, she responded: "So what if we believe Jesus is a figment of the imagination?" Hubbard also targeted specific denominations with while denouncing Christ,  The man on the cross. There was no Christ! The Roman Catholic Church, through watching the dramatizations of people picked up some little fragments of R6. 6 If you have any further questions about Scientology and its relationship to Christianity please visit the following website: http://www.sweenytod.com/cos//Theology/Theology/. This site also has a recoding of Hubbard denying Jesus.   

Common Christian values are replaced with a belief system in aliens, reincarnation, and parts of Crawley's  satanism.  Although its easy to avoid walking into the building labeled “Church” of Scientology  it is not always easy to recognize their many front groups.  The following is a partial list of them :Narconon, Volunteer Ministers, WISE, CCHR, Drug Free Marshalls and many more.  For more information please visit the following sites: http://free-from-scientology.blogspot.com/,http://stop-wise.biz/http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/,http://www.xenutv.com/http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/, http://www.xenu.net/http://www.crackpots.us/

I urge you to please educate your congregation about this Scientology and its many front groups.  The next meeting on the matter of the rezoning of will take place August 18.  If you want to express your opinion on the rezoning matter Sandy Springs government can be reached at : 770-730-5600 and Mayor Eva Galambos can also be  reached at: eva.galambos@sandyspringsga.org

Thank You

1 from Response to Final Series of IRS Questions Prior to Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) As a Church, October 1, 1993 

2  Shellenberger, Susie (2005). One Year Devotions for Teens. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. pp.189. ISBN 0842362029. 

3 Ankerberg, John; John Weldon (1996). Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs. Harvest House Publishers. pp. Section: Beliefs Behind the “Seens” - A New Age Way of Seeing. 

4Atack, Jon (1990). A Piece of Blue Sky. New York: Carol Publishing Group. pp. 376, 383. ISBN 081840499X. 

5 a b c Ortega, Tony (December 23, 1999). "Double Crossed:The Church of Scientology has a reputation for ruthlessly going after its enemies. Robert Cipriano claims Scientologists rewarded him for helping them do just that. Now he's turned on them". Phoenix New Times. www.phoenixnewtimes.com. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1999-12-23/news/double-crossed/full. Retrieved on 2008-04-24. 
Ortega, Tony (2008-05-16). "Scientology Reacts to the Voice". Runnin' Scared. The Village Voice. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2008/05/scientology_rea.php. Retrieved on 2008-05-16. 

6Corydon, Bent; Brian Ambry (1992). L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?. Barricade Books. p.353. ISBN 0942637577.   

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 20:26 »
I like it!  great close.