Author Topic: Narconon - even scientology's front groups have front groups  (Read 8097 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Narconon has a number of groups it uses to bolster the apparent public opinion of it.  I found this site: http://news.yourfindit.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=81456&ret with what looked like the usual self-promotion of narconon.  In the article, narconon of Georgia's Mary Rieser had this to say:
Mary Rieser, Executive Director for Narconon Drug Rehab, Atlanta Recovery Center, comments, "Just this week, President Obama’s $787 billion economic stimulus plan was approved to revive the economy and save jobs. And in the midst of all this, the federal government is spending hundreds of billions of dollars per year on ineffective drug rehabilitation programs and incarceration costs for non-violent drug offenders.

Looks like she may want a piece of that money...  but I digress...

The article continues on:
According to recent statistics from drugbulletin.org, Narconon rehabilitation centers continue to achieve a drug-free success rate that is above 70%.   This is done by a combination of a drug-free withdrawal,  sauna detoxification program and a series of life skills courses that are developed to improve the addict and help him to become a responsible, ethical, contributing member of society.

Our country has a long, hard road ahead and implementing successful drug rehabilitation programs will return much-needed dollars back into an ailing economy."

Always on the lookout for unbiased statistics regarding narconon's recovery rate, I wondered if drugbulletin.org might have a scientifically conducted study.  Drug Bulletin subtitles the page, "A discussion forum on alcohol and other drugs."

The front page of "Drug Bulletin" greeted me with this: "77.5% Drug-Free One Year After Graduating Narconon."  Further down the page are some graphs which look impressive, but on further inspection, are not at all scientific; they are the results as reported by the various narconon branches themselves! 

The "About the Drug Bulletin" page says this:
The Drug Bulletin is intended to be an active, vigorous discussion forum concerning alcohol and other drugs. Its emphasis is on the positive, on what can help, on what has worked, on what might work. We hope to have multiple viewpoints in discussion in order to bring us all to comprehend the issues from a broader perspective.

Yet, I see no vigorous discussion, and no forum; I see 2 blog entries, both covering narconon, and several comments which all say that narconon is great.  A far cry from "multiple viewpoints."

I looked up the domain name, drugbulletin.org, and got this:

Domain ID:D153543569-LROR
Domain Name:DRUGBULLETIN.ORG
Created On:07-Aug-2008 03:23:02 UTC
Last Updated On:14-Nov-2008 00:33:40 UTC
Expiration Date:07-Aug-2010 03:23:02 UTC

Registrant ID:GODA-051558984
Registrant Name:Registration Private
Registrant Organization:Domains by Proxy, Inc.
Registrant Street1:DomainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street2:15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province:Arizona
Registrant Postal Code:85260
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4806242599
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+1.4806242598
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:DRUGBULLETIN.ORG@domainsbyproxy.com

The fact that this site positions itself as a "research" type of site, and yet the domain name is registered using Domains by Proxy, Inc. is a big red flag to me that something is wrong.  The business of Domains by Proxy is, for a fee, to hide the actual registration information of the domain owner.  What kind of professional organization would hide themselves?  One that has something to hide, of course!

And yet, they haven't managed to hide their connection very well, because the name servers give it away.  Name servers translate the domain name into the actual IP address on which the site resides, something that is crucial to people being able to get to the site.  The name servers for drugbulletin.org are:
Name Server:NS1.NARCONONNEWS.COM
Name Server:NS2.NARCONONNEWS.COM

The web is full of these types of domains meant to enhance narconon's reputation, but which are actually owned by narconon itself.  One would almost think running these domains is a scam in and of itself.

I guess I will just have to keep looking for unbiased studies that prove narconon's unbelievable statistics.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 00:43 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: Narconon - even scientology's front groups have front groups
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:29 »
Good catch! Nothing surprises me with Narconon anymore, lol.

This page on that site caught my eye, since the program would never be described as a nutritional program here in the USA because of the FDA:

Nutrition Assisted Drug Withdrawal, Presentation in Iran
From Clark Carr,  President, Narconon International
http://www.drugbulletin.org/?p=4

I'll be certain to keep my eye out for more fake blog sites like this.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 19:05 »
Yeah, good luck finding any non-Narconon-invented positive, scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed, etc., studies that assert Narconon is anything but a dangerous scam that has hurt, ripped off, bankrupted and killed their clients, and which is a money-making funnel for the cult and little else. :)
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 20:22 »
I have yet to find any reliable studies related to Narconon's so-called success other than their own self-reports.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 23:30 »
I have yet to find any reliable studies related to Narconon's so-called success other than their own self-reports.

And you never, ever, ever will!  :D

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 16:06 »
Wow, it looks like the domain names are a scam in their own right (or wrong).
http://detox-narconon.org/video/narcononwriters/narcononwriters.swf

LOL at where he messes up and calls an article "Why Cocaine Drug Rehab is Dangerous"!

He talks about how to rank in the search engines by allowing comments, and how the "bad people" won't be able to hurt the blog, because the comments will be moderated before they're allowed to be published.

1 set of articles can send 2-10 people in 2-3 weeks.  They work as automated money machines.

CF=central file, database of names that have shown interest in your product.

Narconon Reviews

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 16:14 »
Yikes!  Training for self-promoting no-proof, fabricated evidence!  Narconon says, "We will TRAIN YOU how to be a fraud!"

Offline Alp

• Joker and Degrader
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 17:43 »
Those are some juicy dox!!! What could be done with these, I wonder? They seem to need to be leaked somehow, but not without a decent plan...
Religion is free. Scientology is neither.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 20:57 »
What about a complaint to FTC for deceptive advertising?

http://www.dmconfidential.com/blogs/category/Legal_Compliance/1245/
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/07/advertising.shtm

Link to FTC advertising complaint form added.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:23 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

The Entity

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 06:29 »
Good One Free!

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 21:42 »
Thanks, Free. 

A good plan might be to find some examples of where this has been done, the interlinked blogs and articles set up, when you report it, and include links to: http://california-rehab-referral.com/ and http://free-from-scientology.blogspot.com/2009/07/woman-sues-narconon-for-human-rights.html

It's impossible to search for a drug rehab on the net without these spammy sites popping up.  They don't say they're narconon, you have to do a bunch of investigation to find out.  This is what the Locatelli vs Narconon Southern California, Narconon Joshua Hills et al lawsuit is all about.
   Narconon Reviews