Author Topic: Other activists have discovered narconon!  (Read 1953 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Other activists have discovered narconon!
« on: January 05, 2010, 22:39 »
http://stash.norml.org/dr-budney-says-marijuana-withdrawal-as-severe-as-cigarette-withdrawal

(Trans World News) A study by Dr. Alan Budney and colleagues at the University of Vermont in Burlington found that marijuana smokers who stop using the drug while in their home environment suffer withdrawal symptoms that appear as severe as those associated with tobacco-smoking.

Dr. Budney? Really? Was Dr. Kushtoe out of town? Perhaps Dr. Smokabola from Hawaii is available? I’m sorry, go on…

more at the link, and then:

“Someone suffering from marijuana addiction needs as much help as someone suffering from any other drug addiction,” comments Mary Rieser, Executive Director for Narconon Drug Rehab. “Get them the help they need.”

Ah-ha! It’s not that marijuana “addicts” are suffering from withdrawal. It’s that Mama Reiser needs a new pair of shoes. With marijuana legalization looming, these drug rehabs will have fewer court-mandated customers, so they need to beat the drums about marijuana “addiction” to keep the turnstiles turning at the Narconon Drug rehab.

Mama Reiser needs more than a new pair of shoes; she needs an auditing session and a new set of The Basics.  Scientology and auditing, a different kind of addiction.

From the comments section:
NegatroN
January 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Holy Crap, a quick google search turned up the wikipedia page on Narconon, and it is riddled with scandal!!!
I’ma look further into the matter…geezus, I never realized that we’d be pit against this century’s most fascist and weird organization, the Church of Scientology…scary!
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Other activists have discovered narconon!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 18:40 »
Mama Reiser needs more than a new pair of shoes; she needs an auditing session and a new set of The Basics.  Scientology and auditing, a different kind of addiction.

Trufax

I have to read up on "Marijuana withdrawal". I have never heard of that one.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:01 »
Marijuana "addiction"? Hmm. When I was a medical librarian, I did a lot of research FOR THE INTERNET! (and the precursor to Snopes.com, alt. folklore.urban) about accidents, drugs, death, you name it. I distinctly remember doing many searches about marijuana in the MEDLINE database that at the time included most major medical journals (world-wide) and their articles' abstracts / references / some full text, etc., back to the mid-1950s (and, in some cases, earlier).

Guess what? Marijuana was mentioned more often as something that HELPS ill people (glaucoma, nausea relief for cancer treatments, etc.) and was NEVER mentioned as an "addictive" drug. At worst, it was noted that smoking ANYTHING is not particularly great for your lungs, that prolonged heavy / daily use when you have no illness symptoms that you are trying to soothe is unwise, and that people who are likely to try an illegal drug are more likely to try other less benign illegals ("gateway drug" stuff).

If there is any "addiction," it is likely to be psychological (people smoke it to feel good; feeling good is nice, knowing you can't use the drug to feel good the same way again is no fun) or interpersonal / social ("all my friends smoke it; what am I supposed to do when they light up if I am the only one not smoking?"). Non-marijuana cigarette addictions are similar, but the cravings for nicotine and the symptoms you might experience if denied your nicotine fix (headaches, surliness, irregularity, hostility, sleep disturbances, etc.) are actually far worse.

It is certainly nothing like most opiods / harder drugs like cocaine, or even alcohol if you are a heavy enough drinker, that are horribly addictive on a number of levels and cause physiological withdrawals and cravings that can, if the person is denied the drug of choice, lead to serious misery, discomfort, and (in the case of a very heavy long-time drinker suddenly being denied any alcohol whatsoever) death. 

Of course I am not a doctor, and though I worked with a doctor who dealt with addiction issues, that doesn't mean much. I will also note that it has been ages since I did the research. So, grain of salt time. Even so, "withdrawal" from marijuana use? OH PLEASE.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49 »
I have no problem believing that some people have a dependence on marijuana. I have just never heard of a person experiencing marijuana withdrawal. I wonder if it has to do with how THC leaves the system gradually?

Again, more research is required. 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline 88 Champion Edition Turbo

• Met Xenu
  • Like the old 88, with hardly any difference!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 23:13 »
I know Emjay smokers who don't smoke legal tobacco that quit on and off for financial reasons. Not a damn one of them have ever went through anything as severe as nicotine withdrawal.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't use. Couldn't care one way or the other if it's ever legalized.

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAHrNs6v3U

No, Bob, can't say that I have.  :-X
Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
-The Dalai Lama