Author Topic: [Yahoo] Pure ignorance still surrounds ADHD condition (Belfast Telegraph)  (Read 1364 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Pure ignorance still surrounds ADHD condition (Belfast Telegraph)
9 January 2010, 1:07 am

I READ with disappointment and some sadness the letter by Brian Daniells in Write Back January 2) entitled 'ADHD junk science to explain away criminality'.

That is, until I realised that the 'Citizens Commission on Human Rights' is a Church of Scientology front - lest anyone mistake it for the Human Rights Commission.

Like with so many things, true understanding only comes with appropriate knowledge. Psychiatrists and clinical psychologists who work in the field know whether ADHD is real or not, as do so many parents of affected children.

Compelling evidence now exists that those individuals who genuinely have ADHD (and I accept that there may be an element of over-diagnosis which contributes to the controversy surrounding the condition) have a a neurobiological dysfunction in their neurotransmitters, the chemicals that transmit messages between brain cells, and in particular with the neurotransmitter dopamine.

JAMES NAPIER

Upper Ballinderry, Co Antrim

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/letters/pure-ignorance--still-surrounds-adhd-condition-14629249.html?r=RSS#ixzz0cBfmq2N9
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:12 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
The letter he's referring to is here: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/letters/adhd-junk-science-to-explain-away-criminality-14619415.html

Saturday, 2 January 2010

Psychiatrists are attempting to further undermine the beleaguered justice system by using the wholly unscientific psychiatric charade called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to explain away the activities of criminals.

Adult offenders are supposedly to be 'tested' for this type of so-called 'disorder'. It's being claimed that new research has revealed undiagnosed and untreated sufferers in the criminal justice system.

There is however a fundamental stumbling block: ADHD and similar conditions are unscientific. There are no tests to confirm the presence of such conditions.

What psychiatrists can 'test' for is whether offenders have "difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities," if offenders don't "seem to listen when spoken to directly", if they lose things necessary for tasks or activities, or whether they may be "easily distracted by extraneous stimuli".

These behavioural characteristics may well be present in offenders but when put together by a psychiatrist, they are unscientifically redefined as ADHD.

Expensive drugs, cloaked in medical legitimacy, are then introduced to chemically restrain offenders, which produce nullifying effects. These effects are then hailed as 'demonstrably effective' when all that has happened is the offender has been drugged.

Psychiatry's attempt to eradicate the concept of right and wrong and thereby destroy personal responsibility by inventing excuses for the most flagrant misconduct undermines the justice system and deserves the contemptuous label: junk science.

BRIAN DANIELS

Citizens Commission on Human Rights

Plenty of interesting comments on that letter...
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions