Author Topic: Trouble with the scrolling thing?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Trouble with the scrolling thing?
« on: January 29, 2010, 17:18 »
( Sorry I can't edit this tonite. I am struggling with the scrolling thing here.)

Mary, I'm sorry the scrolling thing is causing you problems.  I think you must mean the bottom of the posting window, which adjusts the window's size. 

At the bottom of the posting window (when you make a post) there is a gray bar with two lines that look like this:

This bar allows you to resize the posting window appropriately for the length of your post.  When I make a long post, I lengthen the posting window so I can see my whole post without the posting window's scrollbar appearing.  I do find that if I pull the posting window down too far into the browser window, it seems to get out of control, so I also use the browser's scroll bar to position the bottom of the posting window so this doesn't happen.

I hope these suggestions help (please let me know if they don't) and if this isn't what you mean, please clarify.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: Trouble with the scrolling thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:18 »
( Sorry I can't edit this tonite. I am struggling with the scrolling thing here.)

Mary, I'm sorry the scrolling thing is causing you problems.  I think you must mean the bottom of the posting window, which adjusts the window's size. 

At the bottom of the posting window (when you make a post) there is a gray bar with two lines that look like this:

This bar allows you to resize the posting window appropriately for the length of your post.  When I make a long post, I lengthen the posting window so I can see my whole post without the posting window's scrollbar appearing.  I do find that if I pull the posting window down too far into the browser window, it seems to get out of control, so I also use the browser's scroll bar to position the bottom of the posting window so this doesn't happen.

I hope these suggestions help (please let me know if they don't) and if this isn't what you mean, please clarify.

Ok, I got it to work, thanks!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32 »
You're welcome!
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:15 »
I found out more about this issue.  If your problem is the same as described below (from another forum), it is an IE8 bug that can sometimes be "fixed" by clicking on the torn paper icon to the right of the address bar, which will turn on "compatibility mode" (emulate IE7).  Here are the descriptions from the other forum:

... if I type a long enough post (roughly 2-3 lines past where the text box normally ends), the text box begins to act up on me.  If I type anything beyond that point, the viewed part of the text seems to "hop" up a few lines from where I am typing and I can only briefly see the line I am typing, at the very bottom of the box, for the few milliseconds during which time I press the letter key(s).  This is very annoying when writing a post, editing a post, and selecting text in the box to cut or copy.

When typing new messages that are longer than the number of lines in the input box (that's when the scroll bar appears) the cursor and text nervously start to jump up and down.

The issue is when entering test in this window. Like posting a new reply. When I get up to about 20 lines of text or so, the scroll window starts to jump to the bottom line and then back to the top with EVERY character I type. Again... this works fine up to a certain point and then the window jumping starts. So I don't know if it has to do with a certain number of lines, or a certain number of characters. I can keep inputting text, but window jumping back and forth makes it almost impossible to keep inputting text at a certain point.

Use compatibility mode, or switch browsers.  Adjusting the posting window's size as described above will also help.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline alias

• Administrator
  • Fly in the Ointment
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 20:41 »
A coding change has been made that should fix this problem for IE8 users. 

If any of you experience this issue from here on out, please let me know.

Be nice.  Don't hit.  Don't run with scissors.  Try not to make a mess, and if you do, clean it up.

What do you do when 'potential' is your favorite word
and then the bus leaves you at the next move sideways?
--The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy