Author Topic: Scientology wants more front groups  (Read 2932 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Scientology wants more front groups
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:16 »
I am convinced that scientology's main income these days is coming from the front groups, each of which pays fees back to the "mother church" for licensing the "tech."  This letter is being sent out to scientologists, and seems to support my theory about where the money is coming from.

Dear XXXXXXX,

These days advertisements for Scientology and its humanitarian and
social betterment efforts are on the internet and television in a
volume like never before in history. And the reach and interest in the
subject has also never before been greater.

Scientologists must be reminded and encouraged to take advantage of
this current worldwide campaign. It has never been easier to start and
operate a viable group. You can start your own group and absorb some
of the global reach and channel it towards creating a better world in
your area.

LRH had this to say about groups, “We know that Scientology cannot
progress in the society unless it is done by a group effort. We know
that it can best progress as individuals banded into groups, and these
groups banded together in a larger group.” – LRH from an article
entitled The Scientologist, A Manual on the Dissemination of the
Material, Ability Major 1, ca, mid-march 1955

And these days, society is so in need of change that you can take your
pick and start any one of the following groups without too much
complication when it aligns with your purposes:

Look over the list of groups you could start below. Check one or more
you would be interested to start. Email me back letting me know which
one or more groups you would like information on or like to start, and
I will send you a simple kit to get you and some of your like-minded
friends or neighbors started:

book co-audit group,
book reading club,
books extension course club,
assist group,
field auditing group,
field staff member group,
tutoring group,
family center,
day care center,
elderly care center,
human rights group,
anti-drug or drug education group,
mission,
pioneer dissemination group,

(and the list goes on).

We, as Scientologists, hold the treasure of proven tools, and yet we
are building a world in many cases from the ground up from a lot of
broken pieces. And yet there are other groups that you can align
yourself with to get assistance from, as well as give your help.

As I run my department from The Flag Land Base and am situated at the
Scientology crossroads of Earth, my departmental staff have many
resources and can string the lines between you and other inspired
Scientologists across the widest variety of locations on earth.

I look forward to your email in response today and servicing you in
this regard.

If you already run an existing group and need help or, need exposure
or new members, send me your brief description of what you already
do.

Sincerely,

Wig Adams - Groups Officer FSO

You can see how they're trying to branch out beyond the normal CCHR, narconon, WISE, Way to Happiness, etc.  I wish the leaker of the message would have left in all the types of groups they suggest starting. 

Starting groups to expand scientology out into society was something prescribed by L. Ron Hubbard, in 1979, in the World Out Of Comm Eval (or "WOOC eval").  There doesn't seem to be much on the WOOC eval on the net other than the link in the previous sentence, but I did find this posted somewhere:

Check out Hubbard's "World out of comm evaluation", where he directed the Guardian Office to set up an organization to get "standard admin" applied in "wog society". WISE began at Guardian Office World Wide in 1979 as a compliance target to Hubbard's evaluation. The Social Coordination Bureau originally supervised WISE until the GO was disbanded in 1983. WISE is now run by OSA Int, which is part of the cofs.

The Clear Expansion Committee heads up these groups today, if I am not mistaken.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Scientology wants more front groups
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 18:53 »
My guess is that Narconon (and all its pseudonyms) remains the biggest money-maker. I'd like to know if my guess is correct.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 23:07 »
I don't know how you could find out for sure, but you may be able to glean a good guess by going through the financial documents at Ray Hill's site: http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/index.html

I'm guessing it's either narconon or WISE, but it could be applied scholastics from state funding.  I can't see how CCHR would make any money.  ???
   Narconon Reviews

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 23:24 »
My guess is that Narconon (and all its pseudonyms) remains the biggest money-maker. I'd like to know if my guess is correct.

I suspect not. For years I have been convinced that the business seminars/classes (like Sterling Management) based on Hubbard's Admin Tech were their prime income source. The number of people susceptible to the cult's wiles will always be much smaller than the number of regular folks who just want to learn how to make more money with their businesses.

Just in the US, there are hundreds of companies offering the services Narconon pretends to provide. But there are thousands of business 'self-help' seminars and schools. They appear and disappear all the time. It makes them very hard to keep track of - if you search some of the various sites dedicated to archiving Scientology information you will find lists of dozens of companies selling the Tech, and odds are most of them are no longer extant.

These people charge enormous sums for their lessons, but the actual costs are negligible. A few books, a rented (or home) office, and a hall hired for occasions, et voila! Oh, and of course their fees to CSI! You can find story after story of professionals, particularly Chiropractors and Dentists (no value judgment on my part - Scientology has targeted those two professions because they make lots of money :P) whose lives and businesses were ruined by by these companies. Between their hard-upsell sales techniques, and their actual teachings (based as they are on Hubbard's fantasies about how the world works), there is just no escaping with your money once they get their hooks in.

So, while Narconon rakes in large amounts per client, my guess is the biz front groups are still the cash cows for Scientology... But wouldn't it be interesting to know!!!  :D

'til later;
wynot

p.s., /inside joke on/ You may notice that I use the word 'of' as much as I can. This makes it impossible for scienos to read or understand my posts! I don't need a copper-foil hat anymore! HAHAHA! /inside joke off/
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 15:12 »
Wynot, please explain the significance of using the word "of"?

I've found this related info on http://www.studytech.org/asi.php

This is very much along the lines of Hubbard's "Special Zone Plan," a policy that some have likened to "infiltration". The touchstone of the CECs (Clear Expansion Committees) is a 1960 bulletin by Hubbard which has been reprinted in CEC publications such as the Flag Clear Expansion Committee Newsletter. Hubbard advises Scientologists to "just enter" wider society and introduce the principles of Scientology without necessarily telling any non-Scientologists what they are doing:

A housewife, already successfully employing Scientology in her own home, trained to professional level, takes over a woman's club as secretary or some key position.

She straightens up the club affairs by applying comm [sic] practice and making peace, and then, incidental to the club's main function, pushes Scientology into a zone of special interest in the club - children, straightening up marriages, whatever comes to hand, and even taking fees for it - meanwhile, of course, going on being a successful and contributing wife.

The cue in all this is don't seek the cooperation of groups. Don't ask for permission. Just enter them and start functioning to make the group win through effectiveness and sanity.

("Special Zone Plan", HCO Bulletin of 23 June 1960)

This continuing effort is why one cannot just memorize names of front groups and expect that you'll recognize them all by name.  Currently, in addition to a huge number of domain names, Narconon of Georgia is also using:

• New Life Detox Program
  • First Step Program
  • Atlanta Recovery Center (which is actually a name stolen from a legitimate Methodist-run men's low cost housing organization in Atlanta, that has nothing to do with drug rehab)

and there may be others I haven't discovered yet.  Other front groups similarly have a ever-changing hodgepodge of names they use.

If they had a good and reputable offering, they would stick with one name, but they don't, so they don't.  It's like a shape-shifting demon - adapting what they present themselves as to suit their needs, without regard for anything that's right or good - it's all about the money and influence.

Dr. Stephen Kent, , of the University of Alberta Department of Sociology, sums it up best:
"All of its extensive worldwide activities are part of an effort to instill the values and practices developed by its leader, L. Ron Hubbard, into every aspect of human civilization: mental health, medicine, politics, justice, economics, family life, entertainment and religion." (Kent, 1999)
   Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 16:07 »
of ??   ???

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 20:25 »
I have to say I don't get the "of" in-joke, either. :)

The Human Wiki.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 23:02 »
I have to say I don't get the "of" in-joke, either. :)

You know why a joke is like a frog? They both die when dissected! :o

But since you ask:

One of the primary techniques used by cults on novitiates is called thought-stopping. A perfect example is the Hare Krishna cult with its teaching that one must honor the gods by chanting constantly. If you try it yourself, you will see that after a while it becomes nearly impossible to think about anything else. Scientology uses word-clearing as one of its tricks to keep you from thinking about the regurgitated hubbardthought they are trying to feed you.

When the man EC calls ex-friend first got into the cult, EC tried like the dickens to get him to look rationally at the church's teachings. (I tried too, but sadly we did not know the things we know now.) And one of the ways he justified the wonderful new language he was learning (scientologese), was by demanding we tell him what the word `of' meant. Admittedly, of is a fairly sophisticated concept, but the average 8-year old child understands what you mean by it, eh? We would try to point this out to him, but he would sit on that word like it was a shield against all the arrows of reason. Hence, when I was re-reading my post before hitting the send button, and noticed a few more uses of the word than I usually put in a scribe (when it is past bedtime you notice silly little bits like that), I couldn't stop myself...

I explain, rather than keeping it an inside joke, in the hope you can be forewarned to recognize this little variation of the technique, and perhaps be better prepared than I was, should it be pulled on you!

'til next time
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 23:38 »
He had just taken the Key to Life course, and apparently, his obsession with the word "of" had something to do with that.

I tried to say that "of" was a word that showed possession, but of course the cult masters don't want you to understand it, because if you don't understand the concept of possession, then you won't mind giving up all of yours for scientology.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02 »
He would have gone bananas reading Margaret Atwood's "A Handmaid's Tale," where all the female breeding chattel in the novel are named "Of + the ruling class patriarch of household's first name," hence Ofglen, Ofalbert, Ofharold, Ofgeorge, Ofalan, etc. It's actually a feminist book, using the dystopia described to make subtler points about mixing church and state, the dangers of reading the Bible strictly literally (contradictions, mistranslations, and examples from stories clearly labeled as parables included) and extreme conservatism, etc.

It actually has similarities to the dystopia shown in the "V for Vendetta" universe.

The Human Wiki.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 12:08 »
Only a cult could confuse the word, "of" for someone.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama