Author Topic: Interpretation of the Sandy Springs GA protest/picket ordnance.  (Read 1840 times)

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target

Open for discussion. This needs to be addressed. With construction happening @ the Roswell rd location, then scientology moving into its facility,IMO this will be the next activist related venue.

As I read the SS event/picket ord, it is quite confusing. Does each individual need to apply as an 'Individual" ? If so why? Or does one person get the permit, then become responsible for those picketing/protesting with them?

As I am not a resident of SS, would it be better to find a resident to gain the permit? We want to be on the up and up with the city fathers on this one. I know i learned a hard lesson from the fail of the past, I.E. No one letting Dekalb co know what was going down. Fortunately it was a good lesson.

Thoughts? I can and will talk to the powers that be in SS. I need imput from the rest of you.

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
Re: Interpretation of the Sandy Springs GA protest/picket ordnance.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 13:17 »
As I read the SS event/picket ord, it is quite confusing. Does each individual need to apply as an 'Individual" ? If so why? Or does one person get the permit, then become responsible for those picketing/protesting with them?

My understanding is that only one person needs to apply for a permit.  The laws label protesting/picketing containing a group of three or more people as an event and the permit is for permission to hold an event on the public side walk. I've only vaguely glanced over the SS laws in relation to this but protesting permit laws tend to be roughly the same formations of law.  You are actually applying for an 'event' sort of permit rather than a license to protest.

As I am not a resident of SS, would it be better to find a resident to gain the permit?

I don't think it will make much of a difference.  Unless the event you are planning breaks any other ordinances I do not believe they have the ability to turn down your application for a permit.  It is a federal right to have the ability and access to protest and local governments cannot deny access to that.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:53 »
I think we learned alot from the beginning protests 2 years ago.  I think a sit down talk with those in charges isn't such a bad idea.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 18:30 »
The wheels have been set in motion. Today was interesting to say the least!