Author Topic: [Yahoo] The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand (Crikey)  (Read 939 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand (Crikey)
17 February 2010, 10:00 pm

by Bernard Keane

Last week, the Senate Privileges Committee permitted the Church of Scientology to respond in Hansard to issues raised by Senator Nick Xenophon in November last year.  The Scientologists promptly issued a press release declaring they had responded to Xenophon “in Parliament”, as if they had some sort of elected status.

In allowing the Scientologist response into Hansard, the Privileges Committee has allowed itself to be made party to an attack on individuals who were brave enough to raise their treatment at the hands of Scientology.

It takes guts for ex-Scientologists to come out and reveal what they have suffered, particularly those — and this is a recurring theme among ex-Scientologists — who admit that they themselves harmed other members while within the cult. The mere act of leaving the cult earns them ostracism and often the severance of contact with loved ones. To reveal their suffering at the hands of the cult frequently leads to public attacks.

Such attacks occupy much of the cult’s response to Xenophon, which the committee, without giving reasons, decided merited entry into Hansard.

“The bulk of the Senator’s presentation relied on letters containing unsubstantiated allegations made by a few disgruntled apostates,” the Scientologists claim.

The apostasy line is key, because the Scientologists want to argue that any ex-members who reveal their treatment are simply “shifting responsibility”. To back it up, they quote a special Scientology-commissioned essay by late US cult-expert Lonnie D. Kliever, which suggests “even the accounts of voluntary defectors with no grudges to bear must be used with caution”.

The line is, basically: no criticism of Scientology by ex-members can ever be accepted as valid because these are people blaming the cult for their own problems.

Not satisfied with that, the Scientologists then effectively call their critics liars, noting that they have previously been on the public record as being positive about their experience with the cult. “Such positive statements are consistent with the experiences of millions of other parishioners of Scientology. That these people now hold a different view is entirely their own personal affair.”

One of the fascinating aspects of the remarkable investigation of the cult by Florida’s St Petersburg Times last year, which chronicles among other things widespread physical abuse, including by Scientologist leader David Miscavige, is the admission by former high-level Scientology executives such as Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder that they readily lied to the press and in sworn affidavits to cover up embarrassing or even criminal activity occurring within Scientology ranks.   Rinder was the Scientology spokesman at whom BBC reporter John Sweeney famously lost it in 2007.  He now says he engaged in a systematic practice of denial to protect the cult: “just deny it. Nope. Not true. Never happened.”

The cult directly accuses its victims of lying in its statement to the Senate Privileges Committee, smearing them in the process:

The allegations of Aaron Saxton and Carmel Underwood regarding forced abortions are untrue. The Church of Scientology does not counsel expectant mothers to have abortions and has never forced anyone to obtain one. Sworn statements have been obtained from numerous female Church staff members who served during the same time as Carmel Underwood, all of whom became pregnant while on staff, some as many as three times, and all of whom state that they were never encouraged, pressured or even suggested to have an abortion. They all state that they were well cared for and given time off as needed to care for their children, as was Carmel Underwood.

much more at http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/18/the-senate-lends-scientology-a-helping-hand/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 17:48 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: [Yahoo] The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand (Crikey)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:52 »
Response of an ex-Scientologist who describes the inhumane conditions that existed during Hubbard's tenure as head of CofS (to ABC special and initial "no" to Xenophon's request for an inquiry).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/12/2844150.htm?section=justin
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: [Yahoo] The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand (Crikey)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53 »
Aussie Senators Rudd, Abbott, "running scared" re: Scientology:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/11/2842893.htm
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"