Author Topic: Narconon Deaths  (Read 112612 times)

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Re: Narconon Deaths
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49 »
Thanks - I was hoping there was some follow up. From what I read, there were plenty of mistakes made by everyone to go around. Still sad though.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 21:45 »
Damn, I just thought of another one.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 22:32 by BMF »
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 23:08 »
Damn, I just thought of another one.

Rob Pilatus of the group Milli Vanilli.  He died of an overdose after leaving NN.  I cant say much more publicly on how I know this.....

Death

In the years following the collapse of Milli Vanilli, Rob Pilatus struggled with substance abuse and even suicide attempts. After their unsuccessful comeback, Morvan and Pilatus stopped speaking to each other. In 1996, Pilatus served three months in prison for assault, vandalism, and attempted robbery. He also spent six months in drug rehabilitation, before returning to Germany from the United States.[11]

On April 2, 1998, on the eve of a promotional tour for a new completed Milli Vanilli album 'Back and in Attack', featuring Rob Pilatus and Fab Morvan on lead vocals, Rob Pilatus was found dead at the age of 32 from a suspected alcohol and prescription pill overdose in a Frankfurt hotel room.[2][11] His death was ruled accidental. 'Back and in Attack' has never been released.[1

Ref: #11

The Sad Truth
[..] Pilatus, though, continued his downward spiral: In December 1995, he attacked a man with a metal lamp base; the following month, he vandalized a home and slapped another man; the month after that, he slapped a man who caught him trying to break into his car. Pleading no contest to the three attacks (all of which took place in L.A.) and related charges in 1996, he was sentenced to three months in jail and six in rehab. It wouldn't be his last time in drug treatment (primarily for cocaine abuse). About a month before his death, he was interviewed in a rehab center on German TV, where he shocked viewers by remarking that he wanted to die; one associate believes that he'd been in rehab nearly a dozen times by then. [..]
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,282696_2,00.html

Addiction sucks. Not everyone makes it, no matter how much help they receive
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:59 by Mary_McConnell »
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ES2007

• New Around Here
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 14:31 »
Jean Lafitte was an amazing man. very nice yet very sad in his last days... I remember the morning his body was removed.. still haunts me.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2013, 16:13 »
Jean Lafitte was an amazing man. very nice yet very sad in his last days... I remember the morning his body was removed.. still haunts me.

Welcome ES2007.  I second your recollection of Jean.  He and I were good friends when I worked there from 2000 'til 2006.  Perhaps you and I know each other?

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 16:29 »
Make a few more posts ES2007 and you can PM.  Good to reconnect with old friends.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2013, 20:03 »
I knew him as well.  Didnt know that he had passed though.  Unfortunately it reminded me of another.

David Vantrease from NN stonehawk.  He killed himself as well shortly after reverting after being on staff and completing the program.  Damn it.

Facebook page run by the sister of David Vantrease. 117 members.
In Memory of David W. Vantrease
https://www.facebook.com/groups/137846159622193

"This group is to honor my little brother David. June 5, 1988 - March 17, 2011. Forever in our hearts. Missed more and more everyday."
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2013, 20:20 »
Looking at these names is very hard for me.  Im doing what im doing now to honor them and so it doesnt keep happening.  If there are any staff that are reading this that are having a hard time or feel like taking the road out that David did, please call or write me first.  I will make the time to help you. 
ET went home.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 20:17 »
That's a very kind offer, Eric.  I hope anyone will take you up on it, if necessary.  Even more so, I hope it won't be necessary.

Sigh...  I guess we better add this one too:
Stephen Paul Ballard, Jr. Dec 27th 1987 - Nov 28th 2012
Overdose while on staff at Best Drug Rehabilitation or A Forever Recovery (which if anyone knows?) run by Per Wickstrom
24 years old
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12060.0.html

Condolences to family and friends: the lovely eulogy is here: http://www.lifestorynet.com/memories/85069
Some heart wrenching Memories/Thoughts from his dad on there...   :'(

and here for preservation: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12060.msg27861.html#msg27861

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2013, 15:36 »
I see that today is the 2 year anniversary of David Vantrease's death.  My condolences to his sister and the other 116 people on the Facebook page.   :.{....

I'm starting to think we need two threads, one for deaths that happened at Narconon, and one for deaths of people who had been to Narconon or worked for Narconon and later died, either because of relapse and overdose, suicide, or other unnatural reasons.  What do you all think?

I'm also considering enabling the "calendar" function on the forum so we can keep up with all the dates we need to.  I can make it so members with some to-be-defined number of posts can add to it.  Would that be helpful?

(Discussion about those two things can happen in this thread, then after it's done, I'll split it off into a separate thread.)
   Narconon Reviews

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2013, 15:39 »
Yes.  I like that idea. 
ET went home.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2013, 15:59 »
Yes.  I like that idea.

Which one?  Both?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2013, 16:24 »
Both.  On the calendar function something about license renewal dates and such would be good to know also. 
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2013, 17:51 »
 :D

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2013, 18:21 »
Ok, I'll play around with the calendar on the test forum to see how it works before I activate it.  It lets you add "events" and "holidays", and you can link them to a post or not.  I think the difference is that holidays are recurring, and events are not. 

We've got so much stuff to remember!  I just found out yesterday was the last day of Sunshine Week (in honor of Open Records) - that's something we should celebrate - so I was sorry we missed it.  Then there's all these deaths, and other stuff like Red Ribbon Week, hearings, trials, lawsuits filed, etc.  We could probably fill up the calendar's days pretty fast.   :)

Last week was also Spring Break, and Brain Awareness Week, which don't really seem like they go together, but whatevah.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2013, 20:50 »
Spring break, did you say?? :){}{}{}
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57 »
Brain Awareness Week did you say?

Ooops! OO_OO

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2013, 22:35 »
 :D
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Re: Narconon Deaths - Kaysie Werninck
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 23:09 »
 Kaysie Dianne Werninck.

Kaysie was a beautiful young woman who died due to the neglect of Narconon Arrowhead, neglect which is now being investigated by the State of Oklahoma as possible criminally negligent homicide.

Let's hope that a thorough job is done in bringing the whole truth out and that charges can be made against Narconon should they be found culpable.

Let's remember her today and days ahead and hope for justice for Kaysie and her loved ones.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 23:16 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline Albion

• Met Xenu
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2013, 06:37 »
Cross-posting here as it seems relevant...

I have a new post up, starting a sub-directory of the Narconon section.

In 1984, a French court convicted two Narconon staffers after a
woman died at their centre having suffered repeated epileptic seizures.
Was it their fault alone, or did their negligence spring from Scientology's
 teachings?

http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2013/04/ignoring-epilepsy-i_3446.html?utm_source=BP_recent

While the death of Jocelyne Dorfmann has been previously reported,
I don't think there has been much apart from a brief summary that
appeared in a French government report. This account, drawing from
the court judgment itself, gives a little more detail and kicks off a look
at Scientology's attitude towards medicine in general and epilepsy in
particular, which I think is relevant to the Narconon debate.

Comments always welcome at the site.

Jonny Jacobsen