Author Topic: Aussie "Four Corners" TV program  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Aussie "Four Corners" TV program
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:41 »
Info posted by "OneOneWasARacecar" on whyweprotest.net:
Video, transcript and extended interviews:
ABC Four Corners 08/03/2010 - Scientology: The Ex-Files

PROGRAM WEBSITE

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2010/s2837513.htm

ARTICLE

by Quentin McDermott  - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Scientology in the spotlight amid fresh allegations

VIDEO
(the video is viewable if you click on the left top video in here ==>

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20100308/scientology/

PREVIEW / TEASER CLIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfkVtA3NiA#

TRANSCRIPT OF EPISODE
Four Corners - 08/03/2010: Program Transcript

EXTENDED INTERVIEWS
Scientology: The Ex-Files (flash video player)
Tommy Davis (13 mins)
Liz Anderson (31 mins) 1985-2009
Hana Eltringham Whitfield (23 mins) 1964-1984

TOMMY DAVIS INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPTS
Tommy Davis interview transcript (part 1) 
Tommy Davis interview transcript (part 2) 

BACKGROUND RESOURCES
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2010/s2839843.htm

LIST OF EX-MEMBERS INTERVIEWED
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Re: Aussie "Four Corners" TV program
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23 »
Thanks for posting this link. Funny how this whole sordid affair crosses international and global borders. It is of GREAT comfort to this poster, that he is not alone when viewing this so-called religion as a corruption of sanity!

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Former scientologists speak out about abuse, abortions - ABC Online
8 March 2010, 10:09 am

Austin American-Statesman

MARK COLVIN: The Church of Scientology is expected to come under closer scrutiny over the coming days.

The Senate is preparing to vote on a possible inquiry into alleged abuses against Australians which have occurred within the organisation.

Tonight's Four Corners program details claims of mistreatment and allegations that some women were pressured to have abortions.

Former members in Australia and in the United States have spoken openly for the first time about their lives in the Church.

Scientology has denied their claims but their stories raise more questions about whether the Church of Scientology should keep its status as a tax free charity.

Emily Bourke compiled this report.

EMILY BOURKE: The former members of the Church of Scientology who've spoken out were members of an elite religious unit known as the Sea Organisation.

One former Sea Org member whose identity will be revealed in tonight's Four Corners program has detailed allegations of a strict regime of discipline and punishment in place during the 1960s.

SEA ORG MEMBER: I mean looking back I, you know, I deeply regret my, even my fringe participation in some of the things that went on. And I'm ashamed of some of them.

People were thrown overboard. Hands bound and feet bound and blindfolded. You know women of 55-years-old, you know, for, for, for running a process incorrectly. A counselling technique incorrectly in a, in a auditing session, you know.

EMILY BOURKE: Those people thrown overboard were rescued but the criticism of the Church's practices and policies continues to this day. Sea Org members must sign a contract for a billion years, promising to serve the church for this lifetime and endless lifetimes to come.

JOE REAICHE: Because it's not really a church. It may have a philosophy that's religious but it's strictly business.

EMILY BOURKE: Australia's Joe Reaiche, a former NRL Player, was a star recruit for the Church. He claims he made massive payments to the Church in his pursuit of a spiritual pathway to clear thinking.

JOE REAICHE: Well, they don't tell you that's going to cost you as well. And there's this whole route, all the way through the top. "Oh, that'll run you a $150 to $250,000."

JOURNALIST: How much did you spend in all?

JOE REAICHE: Well, prior, prior to the marriage and, and with the marriage, I would say a total between my wife and I, at the time, maybe $4-500,000.

EMILY BOURKE: As a former employee of the Church, Joe Reaich claims he was given a weekly allowance of $20.

Tommy Davis, a spokesman for the Church of Scientology has defended the wage system.

TOMMY DAVIS: We do so out of our own religious conviction and our desire to, to work for and be part of, and contribute to our religion and its activities. And, as as such we don't, as such we don't expect a wage and we don't do it for a wage.

EMILY BOURKE: He's also denied the church is a commercial enterprise.

TOMMY DAVIS: No, it's a religion. It's a large international religion that, that, you know, is exactly that, a religion.

EMILY BOURKE: As Joe Reaiche and others discovered questioning the order led to, not only being labelled a suppressive person and expulsion from the church, but also being cut off from family.

Liz Anderson and her husband left Sea Org but were eventually allowed back in as public Scientologists and they then committed their daughter Fiona to the order.

LIZ ANDERSON: And I said to her, "don't ever ring me and say you want to come home because I can't do that for you." I violated so many rules as a parent, signed over guardianship.

EMILY BOURKE: The Anderson's youngest daughter, Jordan, was keen to follow her sister but the honour of Sea Org wore off after she was ordered to clean out a dumpster as punishment for failing to recruit a member of the public.

JORDAN: We didn't have any gloves. We had no masks. I was in my uniform pants and an old t-shirt. I mean they were violating every single point that I know of, of OH and S. And I was there until two o'clock in the morning. It was just putrid. I couldn't believe it.

EMILY BOURKE: The Church's Tommy Davis again.

TOMMY DAVIS: Sounds ridiculous and extreme. I, I question its, its credibility. I question its veracity.

EMILY BOURKE: Excessive working hours and punishment weren't the only forms of abuse. Another former Sea Org member claims she was pressured into having an abortion and she was told other women were as well.

SEA ORG MEMBER: I will always have that emotional scar and wounds. It's a horrifying form of abuse that goes on very prevalently.

EMILY BOURKE: The Church's Tommy Davis says Sea Org members do not have children.

TOMMY DAVIS: They would need to do so outside of the Sea Org at which point when the child is of age, those individuals could come back, you know, to the Sea Organisation, if they so chose.

JOURNALIST: Why does the church ask pregnant women in Sea Org to have abortions if they wish to stay in the Sea Org?

TOMMY DAVIS: Absolutely, that is absolutely not true and I can categorically deny that allegation. The Church of Scientology would, under no circumstances, and it is certainly, has no reflection in church policy, tell a woman what to do with her body.

EMILY BOURKE: The Church has denied many of the claims and questions the credibility of former members accusing them of having ulterior motives. But the allegations of abuse are still coming.

One young woman has told the ABC's Triple J of her efforts to extract herself from the Church's Sea Org unit.

YOUNG WOMAN: I wanted to go, like from the outset, I said I didn't want to do this and they forced me to stay there and do the hard labour. We were cleaning out this massive building that had asbestos. We were putting in windows, cleaning out sewerage, climbing under buildings, long hours. You don't speak to anyone, you're essentially cut off from everything and everyone.

EMILY BOURKE: The Australian Senate is expected to vote early next week on whether to launch an inquiry into the allegations of abuse against Australians by the Church of Scientology.

MARK COLVIN: Emily Bourke. And Scientology the X-Files goes to air at 8.30pm tonight on ABC1

more including audio at http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2010/s2839884.htm
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 17:49 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 19:12 »
A radio interview with TripleJ / HACK (apparently affiliated with the TV channel airing Four Corners):

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/podcast/monday.htm

The Human Wiki.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53 »
Competing channel 9, used to be owned by James Packer, the billionaire who ditched Scientology, ran a "me too" story during "A Current Affair" which was edited down from the "Four Corners" special on channel 4, and with a bit extra on Anonymous Australia:

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/scientology-under-siege/x67zqhp
Instead of Tommy Davis being a spokeshole, they have Julia Hargreaves (sp?) instead, who has been in the cult for 40 years and worked w/ LRH. She lies about a number of things; no surprises there.

On the same page, there are two brief clips featuring Senator Xenophon.

Volume is pretty low.

Comment from random Aussie: "I guess that now James Packer dumped his Nine stock, ACA are allowed to run Scientology stories (stolen from 4 Corners)."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:58 by Lorelei »

The Human Wiki.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:06 »
BTW, more of channel 9's coverage of Xenophon vs. Scientology is here:

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/scientology-hits-back-at-xenophon/xs9h05z

The Human Wiki.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 19:47 »
An Aussie forum friend alerted me to the 4 Corners special (that I'd already seen) and added this juicy tidbit: She believes Xenophon's inquiry may have been influenced in part by the mysterious death of a soldier, Edward Alexander McBride, and then 4C's report was influenced not only by the soldier's death but also Xenophon's inquiry and the NYT article.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2009/10/25/australian-soldier%E2%80%99s-suicide-what-is-the-church-of-scientiology-hiding/

She called him a "Digger," I am not familiar with the term. Is that a special branch of the military in Oz, or an affectionate term for all soldiers?

The Human Wiki.

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
More support for probe into 'extremist' Scientology - ABC Online
9 March 2010, 3:58 pm

NEWS.com.au

More support for probe into 'extremist' Scientology

ABC Online

Australian of the Year Professor Patrick McGorry has thrown his weight behind calls for a Senate inquiry into the Church of Scientology, saying the church's teachings are putting Australians' lives at risk.

Professor McGorry, a world-renowned youth mental health expert, and two other respected Australian psychiatrists are supporting independent Senator Nick Xenophon's efforts to set up an investigation into the church's activities and its teachings on psychiatric care.

Professor McGorry says it is time to put the Church of Scientology under the federal parliamentary microscope.

"It's a bit like they're the deniers of the reality of mental illness, which is not only incredibly irresponsible and dangerous, but something that has to be challenged," he said.

Professor McGorry says he has been motivated by his long-time advocacy of early intervention for mental health problems.

The Church of Scientology has strong views about psychiatric medicine, and Professor McGorry says those teachings should be examined in a public forum such as a Senate inquiry.

"I'm concerned that any restriction or any discouragement of access to mental health care will cost lives and result in unnecessary disability for people," Professor McGorry said.

Professor Ian Hickie, the executive director of the Brain and Mind Institute in Sydney, also supports a Senate inquiry, as does Professor Louise Newman, the president of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.

"I've certainly come into contact with people with mental illness who have sought help or assistance from the Church of Scientology, and from many other organisations," Professor Newman said.

"In their contact with the Church of Scientology they've been discouraged from having appropriate treatment.

"Some have been encouraged to cease taking psychiatric medication even when those might be indicated, and there has certainly been no attempt to actually get people in any reasonable form of alternate therapy.

"This is not a trivial issue and I think for far too long, these sort of extremist views have hidden behind a group which describes itself as being an organised religion."

Professor McGorry says he and his two colleagues are just the tip of a very deep iceberg.

"The whole mental health field would support this call for an inquiry and it's overdue in fact, in my opinion," he said.

Professor McGorry met Senator Nick Xenophon yesterday.

more at http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/10/2841369.htm?section=justin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 21:13 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:33 »

The Human Wiki.

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
[Google] Xenophon ramps up anti-Scientology crusade - ABC Online
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02 »
Xenophon ramps up anti-Scientology crusade - ABC Online
13 March 2010, 4:51 am

Speaking at the the Cult Information and Family Support Group Queensland Conference, Senator Xenophon slammed the Government and the Opposition for their cowardice in not supporting his motion to launch an inquiry into The Church of Scientology and its tax free status.

"As many of you know the two major parties joined forces to block this inquiry, that is despite the fact that so many Australian victims of Scientology have shared so many moving and disturbing stories with me," he said.

"I believe there is a certain cowardice in turning your back on people who ask for help and ask just to be heard - Kevin Rudd said he wants to wait for the Henry tax review, as excuses go that's pathetic.

"How dare they, - and I include the Government and the Opposition in this - make this about reviews and processes and procedures.

"The shameful thing is that when you make it just about process, you ignore and damage real people."

The Senator's words were met with rapturous applause from the audience, many of whom have been personally involved in organisations such as Scientology.

Stories of pain

The conference also heard from former cult members, including Helen Pomery who has not seen her family in nine years, since leaving the Brisbane Christian Fellowship.

"I bear witness to the reality and the power of coercive persuasion and mind control, because I live with its impact every day of my life," she said.

Ms Pomery told how the elders in the Church had turned her husband and her family against her.

"It is clear that my children now believe that I deserve to be treated with repulsion because now I have left God's holy order order of headship," she said.

"They are fully committed to the elders, the men in turn praise them for being good humble obedient slaves to righteousness, because they have proved they will sacrifice their mother for the sake of the gospel."

Senator Xenophon applauded the courage of former members in coming forward.

"I know a lot of politicians want to pretend this isn't happening, but good people spoke out, they trusted me with their stories and I will not abandon them, even if it seems Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott want to," he said.

"The hardest thing for a victim to do is to speak out. The apathy of our politicians makes it even harder."

The coverage of the allegation levelled against the Church of Scientology has prompted a number of former members to come forward, including Keryn who detailed a childhood of abuse in Sea Org arm of Scientology.

Picketing Parliament

Senator Xenophon said he was not put off buy the lack of support for the bill, and planned to reintroduce an amended version next week.

more at http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/13/2845062.htm?section=justin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:44 by mefree »