Author Topic: 10-year-old-haitian earthquake survivor dies after fall from roof  (Read 1993 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
10-year-old Haitian earthquake survivor dies after fall from roof

By Rodney Thrash, Times Staff Writer
Posted: May 10, 2010 04:15 PM
tampabay.com

CLEARWATER — Ten-year-old Anais Jean made it out of one the world's worst natural disasters, a magnitude 7 earthquake that killed more than 220,000 people and crippled her Caribbean nation of Haiti.

In Clearwater, where she and other relatives settled with friends after the January quake, she could escape death no more.

Anais died May 3, four days after she fell from the roof of Mike and Mary Campbell's Chateau Wood Drive home, Clearwater public safety spokeswoman Elizabeth Watts said.

According to Watts, this is what happened:

On April 29, Anais climbed a ladder and followed "the owner of the home" onto the roof.

"She was going to help whatever he was doing," Watts said. "I'm not sure what (he) was doing."

Sometime around 7:50 p.m., Anais fell through the pool screen. She was transported by Bayflite helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, where she later died.

"The cause of death is complications from blunt head trauma," said Bill Pellan, director of investigations for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's Office.

Watts said Anais' death "appears to be accidental." She said the department would not make a report public because an investigation remains open.

No one answered the door at the Campbells' home Monday afternoon. Their telephone voicemail was full. Court and property records indicate Mike and Mary Campbell have lived in the home since July 2001.

Mike Campbell, 54, was featured in a December 2008 Tampa Bay Informer article and described as one of three Scientology volunteer ministers who went to Haiti in November 2008 to deliver Kenaf seeds to feed thousands. They also provided educational tools developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard to "assist them in reversing their unprecedented rate of economic decline," the article said.

found at http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/10-year-old-haitian-earthquake-survivor-dies-after-fall-from-roof/1093988
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Oh, no.  This is tragic.  Why wasn't someone watching her?

Damn this cult!

:'(
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Haitian earthquake survivor's death was an accident, Clearwater police say - Tampabay.com
26 May 2010, 6:42 pm

CLEARWATER — The death of a 10-year-old Haitian earthquake survivor who recently fell off the roof of her Scientologist sponsor's home has been ruled an accident, a two-week investigation by Clearwater police detectives has found.

Anais Jean and her twin sister asked their sponsor, Michael Campbell, if they could join him on the roof of the two-story house, according to an 11-page report of the April 29 incident.

Campbell, who could not be reached Wednesday, told police that he gave the girls his consent. They "loved to climb" and were "very athletic" and "very physically strong," he said.

Atop the roof, they cleaned leaves from the gutters, Anabelle Jean told investigators. Their father, Reggie Jean, said he didn't know they were up there.

Campbell picked up the girls and two other siblings from school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and brought them back to his Chateauwood Drive home while Reggie Jean worked.

The children are on full, $10,000-a-year scholarships at Clearwater Academy, executive director Jim Zwers said. Anais was in fourth grade. The school opened in 1998 and uses study methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

When Reggie Jean got off work April 29, the girls were outside with Campbell, but not on the roof. "They weren't doing anything in particular," Clearwater police spokeswoman Beth Watts said Wednesday.

Reggie Jean went inside the house and had dinner. As he ate, he looked through a window and saw Anais on the roof.

"Hi, Poppy," she said.

"What are you doing up there?" he asked her.

It was 7:45 p.m. — 18 minutes before sunset — and he ordered her to "come down."

Campbell descended the ladder to retrieve a garden hose. He told the girls which areas of the roof were safe and which were not. He said he pointed directly to the screen and explained that it could not hold their weight.

The girls, who spoke no English when they arrived in Clearwater a week after the Jan. 12 quake, understood him, he told detectives.

About 7:50 p.m., Campbell heard a crash. From inside of the house, Reggie Jean heard a noise, too. Anais had fallen through the pool screen and hit her head on the patio below. The distance from the top of the pool screen to the concrete pool deck was more than 9 feet, the police report says.

Father and sponsor ran to check on Anais. Campbell's daughter called 911. They tried to move Anais to the patio hammock. She couldn't walk.

She yelled, cried, fell asleep and threw up "a lot of food" before she was transported by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg and later All Children's Hospital. It was there that she died on May 3 from complications from blunt head trauma, said Bill Pellan, director of investigations for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's Office.

A memorial was held for Anais the following Sunday in a ballroom of the Fort Harrison Hotel. More than 150 family and friends attended the service and listened to speakers eulogize "Anais the girl and the joy she brought to others around her," Zwers said.

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/haitian-earthquake-survivors-death-was-an-accident-clearwater-police-say/1097928
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 22:19 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
What kind of idiot encourages children to play on a roof? Just saying.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
What kind of idiot encourages children to play on a roof? Just saying.

What if there were no rhetorical questions? 8-^*

'til next time!
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Always easy to 2nd guess in these situations but, I have to wonder how long they waited before calling for help. A fall off of a roof would seem to be a case for immediate medical assistance.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
You'd think. Maybe they tried to poke her with a finger a few times, first. "Can you feel my finger? Thank you."

...OK, that was mean, and I take it back.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"