Author Topic: Scientology and Racism Continues  (Read 3342 times)

The Entity

Scientology and Racism Continues
« on: April 09, 2009, 21:47 »
Scientology often claims Hubbard's racist comments were the norm for the time frame they were made in.  It seems in truth nothing has changed.

http://glosslip.com/2008/01/20/scientologist-suggests-barackobama-condi-rice-and-al-sharpton-better-suited-sweeping-offices-than-running-for-them/
Scientologist Suggests Barack Obama, Condi Rice and Al Sharpton Better Suited Sweeping Offices, Than Running For Them

Just when you think the Church of Scientology couldn’t get any more bizarre, they go and do something like this.
The article from today’s NYDN’s Gategrasher quotes best-selling author (and next week’s Glosslip Radio guest) Ian Halperin from his upcoming “undercover” expose on the Church of Scientology. From Ben Widdiecombe’s article:  Have you been wondering who Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, who died in 1986, would vote for to be President?
Investigative journalist Ian Halperin has. The best-selling author is about to publish “Hollywood Undercover,” his exposé of the controversial church. But when he asked a Scientology recruiter in Los Angeles the question, he received the most offensive response imaginable.
“He said, ‘I can tell you who shouldn’t be President - Barack Obama, Condoleezza Rice and the Rev. Al Sharpton. They should not be allowed to run for office, they should be sweeping the office.” Clearly we can imagine the Church’s response to this story will go something like “The views expressed by one radical member of the church in no way reflect the views of the Church itself. The Church embraces people of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are is proud of it’s multi-rational membership.” Or some such wishy-washy backtracking nonsense.
And then they will likely hire some Scientology goon to shadow whoever made that statement and that person will POOF! vanish into thin air. Think I am kidding? Don’t be too sure. I have written several stories about Scientology over the years and not so coincidentally, have been contacted by members of the Church more than once, who were quite savvy about where I lived and what I’ve been up to. Nothing overtly threatening, just an air of “weirdness.”
These past couple weeks have been a difficult time for the Church with some very inflammatory assertions being leveled at the Church, by yet another best-selling author, biographer to the stars, Andrew Morton. While some of Morton’s claims seem a bit outlandish, including one suggesting Tom and Katie Cruise’s daughter Suri is the product of some creepy insemination process using L.Ron Hubbard’s frozen sperm, to a secret COS mission to take over Germany, the media itself seems to be in agreement on one thing: The Church of Scientology isn’t exactly what you’d call “kosher.”
Hopefully, Ian’s new book, which has him posing as “as a gay man wishing to be “cured” by Scientology” will in fact, shed some light on what goes one behind close doors. Halperin also “aims to expose the prejudice of the church,” which clearly exists considering the above statement about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Senator (and popular presidential candidate) Barack Obama and Reverend Al Sharpton.
Oh, and I’d be quite remiss in not mentioning this past week’s leaked Scientology Indoctrination videos featuring an impassioned and completely unhinged Tom Cruise’s fervent proselytizing of the powers of Scientology from website Gawker. Whom, btw, were immediately hit with a cease and desist from COS lawyers. So far, the video remains available on their website, but who knows for how long.
Be sure to tune in to next Sunday’s Glosslip Radio show when we can talk to Ian himself about what he saw and heard during his investigative undercover reporting on the Church of Scientology.
Update: As I anticipated, the Scientologists and their feverish paranoid masses have tried to refute the claims of the COS being a bunch of racists xenophobes, so I was presented a quote direct from L. Ron Hubbard himself to his second wife. Thanks to Ian for the quote. There’s also some other interesting quotes noted by barb in the comments section below. iI recommend you check it. L. Ron Hubbard to second wife: “You shouldn’t be scrubbing the floor on your hands and knees. Get yourself a nigger; that’s what they’re born for”.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 22:15 by The Entity »

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Scientology and Racism Continues
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 16:42 »
The racist comments are a source of embarrassment for the cult, as they are a matter of record.

Though the current COB, David Miscavige, has "squirreled the tech" (altered the "holy writ" of L. Ron Hubbard), the cult still refers to LRH as "Source," and his words--xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist and ill-informed as they are--are technically not supposed to be altered in any way.

As such, the rewriting must be done in stages, so the average cultist is unaware of just how much of the original flavour of Hubbard's writing has been "squirreled." Material that a lower-level Scilon or member of the general public might have easy access to is targeted particularly. Upper-level material and video and audio material is altered less, and leaves much of the xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist and ill-informed commentary intact.

When I say ill-informed, I am, again, not talking about religious beliefs, but Hubbard's views on education, health and so on. Hubbard's background has been mocked up by the cult to appear far more impressive than, in actuality, it was. IIRC, there are a series of books with titles such as "L. Ron The Musician," "L. Ron the Humanitarian," L. Ron the Scientist," and so on. Hubbard never met an impressive-sounding title he didn't like and try to claim for himself without any actual credentials.

Hubbard claimed for himself educational, military, scientific, musical, humanitarian, and academic credentials he DID NOT have. His biography has been "in the works" since before his death in the mid-80s, but it will never be published, because the vast difference between what the cult (and Hubbard) claim about his accomplishments and the verifiable and documentable reality are VASTLY different. He was a college drop-out, he bought a degree from a diploma mill, he claimed to have a sterling military record, and so on. All of these claims are provably false, but cult members would be shocked at the discrepancies.

Hubbard's xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist and ill-informed attitudes may have been "in vogue" at the time he wrote some of his work, but he died in the 80s, long after such attitudes were even remotely acceptable. Since he barfed out a lot of typing in his lifetime, much of which is a long rambling diatribe about his ill-informed theories, removing every single offensive reference is not only difficult, but, because he is "Source," altering anything he wrote is heresy.

That the COB Miscavige DOES commit this kind of "heresy" (usually to sell VERY expensive "updated" versions of texts cultists already own) is NOT something cultists would ever discuss or acknowledge, if, indeed, many of them even realize he is doing it. (For what it is worth, the same scam applies to audio tape / DVD sets and e-Meters; cultists are encouraged to "upgrade" to newer versions in order to funnel yet more money into the cult's coffers.)

The cognitive dissonance between the cult's declaration that Hubbard was mankind's "best friend" and the hateful, xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist and ill-informed drivel Hubbard has been videotaped and audio-recorded and published in book form is quite great. Naturally, cultists do not dwell long on the discrepancies. Close examination would cause doubt, and Doubt (with a capital D)  is a punishable state of mind within the cult.

The best way to tackle the inherent racism within the cult is to continue to expose it. More people are being educated and informed, and thus fewer people are likely to become victims of the cult in the future. Those within the cult now typically did NOT have access to this offensive material, or the chance to view Hubbard's unverifiable (and often potentially harmful) assertions before being recruited and manipulated by other cultists. It is not something that is obvious when glancing at material designed for non-Scientologist marks / fresh meat / wogs / general public, or for lower-level Scientologists. Since Scientology is a pay-to-pray system / MMO scam, such material is only available after a recruit has been manipulated and pressured and taught Scientology jargon for a long time, and after their defenses are lowered.

One of the great benefits of the Internet has been to make all this material not only available to all for free, but there are now ways to search for discrepancies, bad advice, dangerous practices, offensive attitudes and so on BEFORE paying the cult hundreds if not thousands of dollars for access to such material. Forewarned is forearmed. Knowledge is, indeed, power, in this case.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"