Author Topic: [HollywoodNews.com] Tom Cruise’s ‘Knight and Day’ gypped from U.S. premiere  (Read 3445 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Tom Cruise’s ‘Knight and Day’ gypped from U.S. premiere
By Roger Friedman

Tom Cruise is in the pr fight of his life.

To try and ensure that “Knight and Day,” his $100 million movie with Cameron Diaz, gets a decent launch, Fox is not having a US premiere. That’s right–no big gala in New York or Los Angeles. And aside from long-lead magazine screenings, critics may have to see the film at sneak showings this weekend.

more at http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/06/16/tom-cruises-knight-and-day-gypped-from-u-s-premiere/

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Heh heh. Now why would this be?
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Tom Cruise in 'Knight and Day' and no one goes to see it. Box office flop. - Gather.com
25 June 2010, 1:22 am

Is it the economy?  Is it the number of really lousy movies this summer?  Is it that we don't care much for Scientology?  Whatever the reason, Tom Cruise's movie, 'Knight and Day' is on life-support after its first day of release.   The action flick that stars Cameron Diaz alongside of Cruise brought in a paltry $3.8 million on its opening day Wednesday as it was being shown on over 4000 screens.  Toy Story 3 surged ahead at $13.5 million.

These sluggish box office numbers are the worst for a Tom Cruise action movie since his very first movie, Legend, in 1986 according to Box Office Mojo.  It was his lowest grossing opening since his 1992 movie Far and Away, which starred him and his ex-wife Nicole Kidman. In defense of Far and Away....more people actually turned out to see it, as ticket prices have gone up substantially since 1992.

more at http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978326610
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:32 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline RedShieldwolf

• Joker and Degrader
  • For me, it really is KCW (Keep Chanology Working)
Is it that we don't care much for Scientology?

Please, please, PLEASE let it be yes.

>:D

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Tom Cruise Doesn't Need Your Pity. Here's Some Anyway - New York Times (blog)
25 June 2010, 3:47 pm

Boy, are the knives out for Tom Cruise.

Consider a few of the headlines that have popped up even before “Knight and Day,” his latest big-budget movie, has completed its first weekend in the marketplace. Forbes: “Toys Will Crush Cruise At Box Office.” Cinematical.com: “See ‘Knight & Day’ and Save Tom Cruise’s Career.” New York Magazine: “Fox Struggles to Overcome the Tom Cruise Problem.”

There is certainly a case to be made that Mr. Cruise made this bed and now must lie in it. The couch jumping, the Scientology spouting, the dumping of his power publicist – it has without question hurt his career, perhaps irreparably.

And “Knight and Day” is certainly a wreck, with opening-day ticket sales of $3.8 million and some over-the-top critical hatred. But let’s be fair: This movie’s troubles don’t hang on Mr. Cruise’s shoulders alone.

Why is nobody talking about the failure of his co-star, Cameron Diaz, to deliver an audience here? Who came up with the title? It’s odd and doesn’t telegraph what the picture is about. Meanwhile, the studio marketing has also appeared tentative at times: billboards at the same time pump Mr. Cruise’s involvement — his name is big – while also downplaying it — where’s his picture?

The good news for Mr. Cruise is that the feeding frenzy seems to have grown so severe that a backlash is kicking in. Go here (http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/06/25/in-defense-of-tom-cruise/) and here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sc-mov-0622-tom-cruise-20100625,0,2638629.story) for two new takes on why you should like Tom Cruise again.

more at http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/tom-cruise-doesnt-need-your-pity-heres-some-anyway/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:41 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.

It's one reason why I didn't have any plans to go.

It's also why I am not watching the Jason Lee / Juliette Lewis or Jada Pinkett-Smith TV programs on TNT, and why I didn't watch Kirstie Alley's on A&E. I'm not INTERESTED in watching Scientologist spokespeople, either.

Maybe it's a personal failing of mine, but I am not bothered if that's the case. I'm not interested, so I don't watch.

The Human Wiki.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

I have to believe this is the case and for a variety of reasons.

First, Tom did not help himself in 2005, when he spoke out as an expert on the history of psychiatry and post-partum depression or later, jumping on Oprah's couch. He sounded particularly batty in the now infamous scientology promotional video that has been viewed world-wide.   

Fast-forward to today when so many ex-members are speaking out with more regularity to the press and writing books. It is hard to miss the similarities in their stories of emotional and physical abuse, coerced abortions, family disconnections or other injustices experienced within CoS.

I doubt that it is the economy. Are they simply turned off or making a statement? 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
In fairness to Mr. Cruise, making a good movie seems to be an awfully difficult thing; just count how many movies come to your local googleplex each year, and then count how few are worth the price of a ticket.

Maybe by the time they pay Tom's enormous salary, they don't have enough money to hire good writers and directors...

'til later;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline RedShieldwolf

• Joker and Degrader
  • For me, it really is KCW (Keep Chanology Working)
It's one reason why I didn't have any plans to go.

It's also why I am not watching the Jason Lee / Juliette Lewis or Jada Pinkett-Smith TV programs on TNT, and why I didn't watch Kirstie Alley's on A&E. I'm not INTERESTED in watching Scientologist spokespeople, either.

Maybe it's a personal failing of mine, but I am not bothered if that's the case. I'm not interested, so I don't watch.

It's not a fail. If I had no interest in somebody before, Scientology connections certainly kill any interest I might have had. I might not be as militant as some anons are though, 'cause I still enjoy some of John Travolta's movies (Pulp Fiction, Bolt). Maybe John Travolta will get out at some point so I don't feel bad about it. :P

I used to like My Name is Earl, but then I found out they weren't keeping track with the numbers on The List. Being the nerd I am, I thought this was really lame, so I stopped watching. I still like Syndrome from The Incredibles.

As for Kirstie Alley, honestly.....WHO CARES!

I doubt that it is the economy. Are they simply turned off or making a statement? 

Well, it could be a number of factors. No doubt some of Tom Cruise's potential audience has no interest in giving their money to a cultist. This could be one of the signs of the cult's waning influence in Hollywood.

Although, to be fair:

In defense of Far and Away....more people actually turned out to see it, as ticket prices have gone up substantially since 1992.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
CNN / HLN / MSNBC have attributed Knight & Day's failure to Tom Cruise doing himself no favours with his couch jumping incident. No mention of calling Matt Lauer "glib", attacking Brooke Shields, or the real reason behind the bizarre behavior (Scientology). Yet.

Lots of discussion about K&D failing perhaps due to the rough economy, but other hosts counter that by pointing out other films are doing fine. Less discussion about how it is "social media's fault," because people now rely on instant word-of-mouth and flock to or avoid films based on peer reviews on sites like Facebook and MySpace. Some more discussion about how even big name stars like Cruise and Diaz can't guarantee box office success.

The clips shown pretty much indicate a boring, terrible, lukewarm action flick with Cruise playing Supercruise, as he likes to do. Totally tedious, and not worth the money. I'll avoid it when it is shown free on cable TV a couple of years from now.

And, personally, I like Pulp Fiction, too. I like it in spite of Travolta, mostly, though, to give him his due, he does a fair job.

The Human Wiki.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 Historically, during a down turn in the economy and since the invention of the moving image, the movie house had been an escape into a fantasy world, leaving your troubles @ the door for a couple of hours.

Now, with the advent of so many entertainment choices for the consumer, what an actor was at one time may not translate into drawing consumers from the comfort of they're living room with surround sound and 42" flat panel t.v.

That or "Knight and Day" just generally sucks from an entertainment point of view.   ooo}

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Tom Cruise, with 'Knight and Day,' has his worst opening weekend for action ... - New York Daily News
27 June 2010, 8:25 pm
"Toy Story 3" also cast a shadow on Tom Cruise's action comedy "Knight and Day," leaving it a distant third with disappointing sales of $20.5 million - the worst opening for a Cruise action flick in 20 years.

"Knight and Day," the story of a fugitive couple racing across the globe, features Cruise as a charming spy alongside co-star Cameron Diaz.

Box office expert Paul Dergarabedian took the disappointing results as a sign audiences remain turned off by Cruise's rants about Scientology and other antics, including his couch-jumping episode on "Oprah" five years ago.

"He's one of the biggest stars of all time, but no question, this has impacted him," Dergarabedian said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/summer_movie_guide/2010/06/27/2010-06-27_knight_terror_for_cruise_as_toy_tops.html#ixzz0s714LZcw
-Dalai Lama