Author Topic: ANONYMITY PROTIP OF THE DAY: Keeping photo data private online  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Read EXIF data online:

http://regex.info/blog/other-writings/online-exif-image-data-viewer

This will reveal what your pictures say about you and your camera and when the image was taken. Often, this includes your actual name.

Handy online tool: remove EXIF data from JPGs to preserve your anonymity online.

http://www.exif-remove.de/

This will remove the IDing data.

As a bonus, it also makes the image smaller (by a fraction).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 16:13 by Lorelei »
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Keeping photo data private online
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 16:13 »
If you use Canon and ZoomBrowser, there is a setting to choose what "owner name" you want associated with your photos' EXIF data. You can choose to use a pseudonym or "None Of Your Business" or whatever, as I have done at various times. It will keep that setting until you change it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 23:16 by Lorelei »

The Human Wiki.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Good info, Lorelei!  I knew about EXIF data, and the browser plugins, but I didn't know about the online page to display it.

My camera doesn't have the "owner name" option in its EXIF data, but for those whose camera does, I just want to point out that the camera itself has no way of knowing who it belongs to, unless you put it in there to begin with.  (Kind of a "duh" thing if you think about it.)  But I can see people putting their name in, and later forgetting, or just not realizing, that the name is included in the EXIF data, and/or maybe even not knowing there is such a thing as EXIF data.

I thought the part about the thumbnail sometimes containing the whole image, even though the photo may have been cropped, was great to know, too.  I can imagine a politician or celebrity getting caught out by that.   3((:
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
It's a useful tool if you want to check, before uploading to the 'net, if your pix have any ID data you don't want shared.

The Human Wiki.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
  Info is embedding in my still and video work. GPS markers too. This way, like digital water marks currently used, no one can claim those images as their own if that be the case. This way, I have legal recourse if still or video footage originating from me is or has been used without my written permission.

That and I love my full name on my stuff! AND I gots to be paid!

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
It's not advice that pro photographers or videographers would need or want, I don't think. :) In which case, it is a reminder to make sure all your cameras have the appropriate info still included, not removed.

Amateurs who are nervous about such "hidden" data drawing down unwanted attention from the Co$ or other subjects, on the other hand, might be relieved that it can be scraped. Those who want credit while maintaining anonymity can take the middle road of using a pseudonym as their ID.

As with all free advice, this is worth what you pay for it, and you should only take what is useful to you and discard the rest. :) The online pic ID checker may prove useful to you as a pro when you want to try to track down someone who took a picture you particularly like.

The Human Wiki.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Thanks for the info. 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
That and I love my full name on my stuff!

I know what a ham you are.

* ethercat ducks!

ooo:-O
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target

RFID chips for everyone.