Author Topic: What kind of camera do you have?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
What kind of camera do you have?
« on: July 02, 2010, 14:33 »
I've always maintained that a good photographer is not defined by an expensive camera, rather that a good photographer is defined by the photos he (or she) makes and chooses to show.  I think that a good photograph can be taken by an el cheapo camera, if the photographer has vision and can work within the limitations of his equipment.  Working within limitations can sometimes produce greater work than working without limitation.

That said, I'm curious what type of camera people have.  I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 (a few years old, but still working fine) with a pop-up flash, and a Leica zoom lens.  It can be fully automatic, or fully manual, or some variation in between.  I find that it suits me for most of the photos I would want to take, and isn't too cumbersome to carry around, though I sometimes wish for a small flat digital camera, one that would fit easily into a pocket.   :)

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-FZ7K

What kind of camera do y'all have?
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: What kind of camera do you have?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 23:38 »
Mine's a cheapie digital Canon Elph, mainly because I like the rechargeable battery packs and tiny size, though I do have a semi-cheap 35mm floating around.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 15:07 »
I have a little sony cybershot that I love dearly despite its lack of fancy features. :3  I got it for crazy cheap when it was still one of the more pricey point and shoots out on the market and it takes pretty good video for what it is.  It is a bit more scratch up now though with all the abuses it has been through.

Offline RedShieldwolf

• Joker and Degrader
  • For me, it really is KCW (Keep Chanology Working)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 18:05 »
I have a little sony cybershot that I love dearly despite its lack of fancy features. :3  I got it for crazy cheap when it was still one of the more pricey point and shoots out on the market and it takes pretty good video for what it is.  It is a bit more scratch up now though with all the abuses it has been through.

Second.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S750. It's a small flat digital camera, one that fits easily into a pocket.  :D

I'm afraid the only pictures I'll be able to contribute are ones from my protests. I could always use tips and constructive criticism though.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 15:48 »
I (yupically) shoot with a Canon 30D.  It's the third generation back of Canon's "Pro-sumer" line, and the 60D is on its way to market.  The recent 7D is supposed to be between that level and their lower end full frame professional model the 5D. Argh how I want to save up for a full frame body! xP

And argh I'm in a rut, so it's a good time to do research and a bit of reading.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:56 »
I (yupically) shoot with a Canon 30D.  It's the third generation back of Canon's "Pro-sumer" line, and the 60D is on its way to market.  The recent 7D is supposed to be between that level and their lower end full frame professional model the 5D. Argh how I want to save up for a full frame body! xP

And argh I'm in a rut, so it's a good time to do research and a bit of reading.

Stu. If you get the opportunity, check out the season finale of "House. The whole episode was shot with a Canon 5D-Mk2. Yes. A $2500 still camera shot the whole thing.

• High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 13:01 »

Heres a little video test I did on the 4th of July. The camera is a HD GoPro mounted to my chest via a harness. Cost of the complete camera outfit is $290 bucks.

Camera was set to 720P at 60 frames per second. Camera can also take still images or shoot 1080P video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY1Ypj1LP20

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 13:20 »
Lorelei, I split off your post and ST's reply.  I hope no one minds.  It deserved its own thread.   :)

The new thread is here: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,5204.0.html

Feel free to edit the subject if you'd like.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 16:47 »
Stu. If you get the opportunity, check out the season finale of "House. The whole episode was shot with a Canon 5D-Mk2. Yes. A $2500 still camera shot the whole thing.

The photography forums I lurk were buzzing when that announcement was made.  They were having a blast speculating which lens was used in which scene -- ESPECIALLY the 50mm f/1.0 in the lens list! That probably cost almost as much as the camera xDD

• High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13 »

The photography forums I lurk were buzzing when that announcement was made.  They were having a blast speculating which lens was used in which scene -- ESPECIALLY the 50mm f/1.0 in the lens list! That probably cost almost as much as the camera xDD

You can read a nice write up by the DP here.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/04/19/in-depth-interview-with-executive-producer-and-director-of-house-season-finale-shot-on-canon-5dmkii/

I was lucky enough to meet and chat in depth with legendary DP of House, Gale Tattersall about the episode and he told me he wanted as shallow as possible, that’s why he went with the 5Dmkii over say the 1DmkiV despite the video monitoring issues, shooting wide open with 50mm F1.0, F1.2 85mm F1.2, the 100mm IS Macro F2.8L and the 24-70, 70-200mm IS F2.8L zooms.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:25 »
I find that last quote most interesting, as both are full frame bodies which accept the same lenses.  In your experience, can one camera with the same sensor size, focal aength, and aperture, really still make a difference with the depth of field?

• High Value Target
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35 »
I find that last quote most interesting, as both are full frame bodies which accept the same lenses.  In your experience, can one camera with the same sensor size, focal length, and aperture, really still make a difference with the depth of field?

That is a very good question. The 1D sensor is ever so slightly smaller than the 5D-Mk2. .20cm or mm I believe. What does that mean? Not much to me. Their must be something different within the VIDEO abilities. The 1D body is around what? $4000-$6000 and the 5D-Mk2 is $2500 for the body.

The 1d and 5d do process information very differently. No one in my industry is using it as an HD VIDEO camera.

As I have used the 5D-Mk 2 on video shoots before, I do know heat build up is a major issue. When the camera get warm in video mode, a jello like effect happens. That big sensor doesn't like that. Same with the 1D I am told.

Insofar as depth of field? I have yet to have anyone tell me that the difference between the two cameras is appreciable.

In other words, I guess it is subjective.