Author Topic: Assorted Photos  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Assorted Photos
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:39 »
I may post some more of my ten-year-old pix from London, but as they were shot with a cheap 35mm and no filters, all you'll be able to judge is framing, etc. They would have benefited greatly from a filter, as any sky that shows is overcast. An appropriate filter would have helped with that. I've included a handful below.

On the other hand, I'm not displeased with how they came out, because I managed to drop my camera, hard, right before leaving, and had to adjust the angle of every shot for a now-wonky viewfinder. In other words, I couldn't just line up a shot straight on, I had to imagine it was at about a 10 degree offset. I was lucky there were no light leaks and that the thing still worked at all, given that it probably cost $50 new.

With the digital, I have the most trouble with close-up shots (flash washes them out, not flashing occasionally makes close-ups too dark and a bit blurry), but mid- and long-range turn out fairly well for such a cheap camera. It is surprisingly good at night-time / concert shots, though.

35mm Emory tulips

35mm B&W film

35mm Fuji film

35mm Fuji film

35mm Fuji film

35mm

35mm

digital

digital

35mm panoramic film with grain applied w/ Photoshop to look vintage

Taken with someone else's pro cam

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London, desaturated with Photoshop

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London, cropped with Photoshop to remove oblivious tourist's head from lower portion of shot.

I have not taken any photography classes or read any books or anything, and use cheap equipment under non-ideal circumstances at best, so they probably suck. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:00 by Lorelei »
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Photos fron London (was Re: What kind of camera do you have?)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53 »
I may post some more of my ten-year-old pix from London, but as they were shot with a cheap 35mm and no filters, all you'll be able to judge is framing, etc. They would have benefited greatly from a filter, as any sky that shows is overcast. An appropriate filter would have helped with that. I've included a handful below.

On the other hand, I'm not displeased with how they came out, because I managed to drop my camera, hard, right before leaving, and had to adjust the angle of every shot for a now-wonky viewfinder. In other words, I couldn't just line up a shot straight on, I had to imagine it was at about a 10 degree offset. I was lucky there were no light leaks and that the thing still worked at all, given that it probably cost $50 new.

With the digital, I have the most trouble with close-up shots (flash washes them out, not flashing occasionally makes close-ups too dark and a bit blurry), but mid- and long-range turn out fairly well for such a cheap camera. It is surprisingly good at night-time / concert shots, though.

35mm Emory tulips

35mm B&W film

35mm Fuji film

35mm Fuji film

35mm Fuji film

35mm

35mm

digital

digital

35mm panoramic film with grain applied w/ Photoshop to look vintage

Taken with someone else's pro cam

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London, desaturated with Photoshop

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London

35mm London, cropped with Photoshop to remove oblivious tourist's head from lower portion of shot.

I have not taken any photography classes or read any books or anything, and use cheap equipment under non-ideal circumstances at best, so they probably suck. :)

I do not think they suck @ all Lorelei. The photos of the band playing are fantastic. I love the rich texture and colors.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Assorted Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15 »
Thanks, ST.

The Fujicolour film ones turned out to be a huge surprise. I got a couple of rolls on deep discount, and figured that one roll of 35mm film was the same as every other roll of 35mm film. Not so. I had no idea that they would exaggerate and saturate every single colour available as they did (and the shots tended to be more blurry than I was used to, too; these were the most interesting despite the blurs).

Normally I am perfectly happy with Kodak film, and have not seen the same Fujicolour (white and green box with a rainbow) brand since.

I do think that some interesting "hypercolour" effects could be captured if the photographer used a tripod and was shooting in similar conditions (dark room with concert stage-lighting, carnival lights, fireworks--maybe--buildings at night, traffic lights on extended exposure, etc).

The thing I am proudest about, WRT the London shots, is how straight the images wound up being, even though I had to remember to compensate for a damaged camera. You can see in a couple of shots where I forgot to do so, as they are tilted a bit off true, or where I over-compensated, as they are tilted too far over. The whole time, I was unsure if there would be light leaks ruining the images on the film; just had to cross my fingers and hope that I didn't waste my money buying so much film for my trip.

One day I will buy a decent 35mm or high-end digital camera, and some lenses and filters, and take a class so I can discuss f-stops without sounding like the clueless photographer I really am. I think I can "see" fairly well, and I often get interested in shapes, contrast and textures when I have extra film (or time to kill), but I often lack the quick reflexes or technical skill to translate what I "see" into a good photo. I often still have issues with pet photos (for every halfway decent Murphy photo, there are ten or more blurry pictures of his nose or backside) and close-up photography getting too washed out by the flash or too dark / blurry without a flash; the only tricks I have tried is dragging an extra light source into the room and shutting off the flash or holding the camera higher / farther away and using the zoom in feature to keep the flash further away.

The Human Wiki.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:22 »
One day I will buy a decent 35mm or high-end digital camera, and some lenses and filters, and take a class so I can discuss f-stops without sounding like the clueless photographer I really am. I think I can "see" fairly well, and I often get interested in shapes, contrast and textures when I have extra film (or time to kill), but I often lack the quick reflexes or technical skill to translate what I "see" into a good photo. I often still have issues with pet photos (for every halfway decent Murphy photo, there are ten or more blurry pictures of his nose or backside) and close-up photography getting too washed out by the flash or too dark / blurry without a flash; the only tricks I have tried is dragging an extra light source into the room and shutting off the flash or holding the camera higher / farther away and using the zoom in feature to keep the flash further away.

Lucky for you, film SLRs and such can be found in the $30 to $50 range these days, and if you shop smart, lenses for not much as well :)

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:46 »
I'll definitely ask you for advice when I am in the market for a new camera. :)

The Human Wiki.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:07 »
Honestly I get my info from other sources :P

If you insist on going digital (especially considering film of any kind is becoming ever more difficult to locate -- especially anything but 35mm), a lot of people are suggesting the Pentax KX. It's by far not a professional quality camera. It's about as entry level DSLR as you can get. It even takes AAs in stead of having its own battery type (If I've read correctly).  But it gives you a wonderful range of K-mount lenses to choose from, as old or new as you find.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38 »
I like this one, but it begs for some bright (but not too bright) green text in the lower left quadrant.  It reminds me of an advertising photo.

And I like this one for how raw it looks.

I like this one too, but think it would look better cropped ...

... like this:

Cropping it cuts out the distracting horizontal light fixture (?) in the upper right, and the busy looking square concrete slabs and the angled concrete at the bottom, because the building has enough lines and angles in and of itself.

I'm tempted to tilt it clockwise a little too, to put the building and water on a true horizontal, but not sure if it would make the people look like they're leaning unnaturally. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 05:53 »
The last one would also have been greatly improved by filter use.

The Human Wiki.